Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was your favourite major tournament

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I actually loved Euro 2008.

I thought the atmospheres in the various grounds were top notch.
    Got to see an amazing Spain team claim their long overdue major honour, which set them up sweetly for South Africa.

Kinda strange that neither ourselves nor any of the Home Nations were involved. When was the last time that happened?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Omackeral wrote: »
    I actually loved Euro 2008.

I thought the atmospheres in the various grounds were top notch.
    Got to see an amazing Spain team claim their long overdue major honour, which set them up sweetly for South Africa.

Kinda strange that neither ourselves nor any of the Home Nations were involved. When was the last time that happened?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

WC 2010, it's the only one I can remember and had any interest in.

I remember being around when '08 was on, but my interest in football was nothing like it is now or was 2 years ago. I was basically a 'sky sports influenced' 13 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

word.
    Belgium
    Denmark
    Spain
    Germany
    England
    Argentina
    Burzil
    France

Great teams and brilliant games.

Sympathy to those of you too young to know it. Brilliant games were just par for the course. Spain destroying a brilliant Denmark side forgotten about due to epic France Brazil quarter final. Just too many amazing games. Maradona in his absolute pomp Topped off by a fantastic final.

Unmatchable

Showing my age here slightly but Spain 82 had it all for me, just shading Mexico 86. It was the first tournament I really remember well but I'm not picking it for that alone.

It just seemed to be one of those iconic World Cups. Favourites Brazil with Zico, Socrates, Falcao, etc, bowing out to Italy in the second round in one of the greatest games ever. The Kuwaiti sheiks running onto the pitch against France in protest at a referee's decision. Northern Ireland shocking Spain on a hot sweaty night in Valencia. Germany beating France on penalties after that dramatic game where Schumacher nearly killed Batiston. And then there was Paolo Rossi finishing top scorer after being banned from the game for two years.

In a word....legendary!

p.s. while we're on the subject, Italia 90 was the worst football tournament I have ever seen.

Your probably spot on and its not the first time i have heard exact same thing but the ironic thing is a whole new generation of soccer fans came from Italia 90. I suppose it was irelands first world cup. Its almost like losing your virginity. The sex may not have been great but because it was the first time it was memorable :D

I think Korea were going through no matter what. There was blatant fixing going on for them.

Jasus were doing so much moaning about Henrys handball still its probably just as well we didnt face Korea. Instead of 3 years of clowns whinging we would have had 10 and there would have been alot more incidents to complain about.

Jasus were doing so much moaning about Henrys handball still its probably just as well we didnt face Korea. Instead of 3 years of clowns whinging we would have had 10 and there would have been alot more incidents to complain about.

Parnell St would have been burnt to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Italia 90. Just for the shock I felt as a 12 year old at the time, when I heard David O'Leary and not Niall Quinn was taking that last penalty :D

i liked the world cup in 1998. some genuinely great players on display and the funniest thing is if Henry had a world cup like he did back then in 1998 he would have been worth 50m. instead he went to juve for 5m and then to Arsenal for 10m the season after.

its quite amazing the precedent billionaires have set in football really. Even Zidane would have cost less then Shearers 15m world record after 98 but now rubbish players with a big huge ? over them will go for top bucks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Showing my age here slightly but Spain 82 had it all for me, just shading Mexico 86. It was the first tournament I really remember well but I'm not picking it for that alone.

It just seemed to be one of those iconic World Cups. Favourites Brazil with Zico, Socrates, Falcao, etc, bowing out to Italy in the second round in one of the greatest games ever. The Kuwaiti sheiks running onto the pitch against France in protest at a referee's decision. Northern Ireland shocking Spain on a hot sweaty night in Valencia. Germany beating France on penalties after that dramatic game where Schumacher nearly killed Batiston. And then there was Paolo Rossi finishing top scorer after being banned from the game for two years.

In a word....legendary!

p.s. while we're on the subject, Italia 90 was the worst football tournament I have ever seen.

Wasn't around for Italia 90 but surely WC 2010 pushes it close? I suppose in fairness the best team won but the group stages were just so boring. Defensive football led to absolute bore-fests. To say there was barely a memorable game is not an exaggeration. Didn't enjoy 2006 too much either, but Italy Germany semi was one of my favourite games ever.

Prefer the Euro's altogether though. Less games, more competitive groups and has thrown up some really memorable games over the years

Liam O wrote: »
    World Cup 98, disliked Brazil so to see France overcome them was great. Fabian Barthez became my favourite player after that tournament too (I was a goalkeeper), shame about his ill fated time at United...

Initially Barthez started off great at Man United but then i read a quote from him saying that when Fergie gives the hairdryer at half time, "it goes in one ear and out the other". Now i know it may have been taken out of context but after that i said to myself Barthez may well follow Jaap Stam out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Wasn't around for Italia 90 but surely WC 2010 pushes it close? I suppose in fairness the best team won but the group stages were just so boring. Defensive football led to absolute bore-fests. To say there was barely a memorable game is not an exaggeration. Didn't enjoy 2006 too much either, but Italy Germany semi was one of my favourite games ever.

Prefer the Euro's altogether though. Less games, more competitive groups and has thrown up some really memorable games over the years

A solid world cup - Italy v Slovakia, Germany v England, Germany v Argentina, Ghana v Uruguay were all classics, IMO. Don't let the nasty final overcloud those matches.

But ,the Euros is more satisfying simply because 16 teams and four groups means you don't get overkill. I fear with 24 teams after this one, it will lose what makes it so good.

A solid world cup - Italy v Slovakia, Germany v England, Germany v Argentina, Ghana v Uruguay were all classics, IMO. Don't let the nasty final overcloud those matches.

But ,the Euros is more satisfying simply because 16 teams and four groups means you don't get overkill. I fear with 24 teams after this one, it will lose what makes it so good.

Italy v Slovakia was a very poor italian side who were beaten by a Slovakia side which subsequently we even went on afterwards qualified for the euros at their expense.

Germany v Argentina was 4-0 to Germany need i say more.

Ghana v Uruguay was a good game in fairness and both sides contributed well to the competition.

Germany v England. Germany were a better side even regardless of Lampards goal and i am confident they would have went on and won the game in any case. that said the goal that never was was disgraceful and football shouldnt leave anyone wondering 'what if' because of these scandalous decisions.

There was some drama in that tournament no doubt, Paraguay v Spain is one such instance.

Agree with you on that last point that the euros should only have 16 teams instead of 24. we are now in a situation where all the dross will qualify.

I am not trying to say that 2010 WC is a best ever candidate, just by modern standards it was hardly bad.

You can say that it was a poor Italy side, but for players and fans from small countries, to beat one of the traditional giants is always a huge thing.

Germany and Uruguay made the knockout games watchable, but I felt Spain lucked it a bit compared to their Euro triumph.

Still, I have seen worse than South Africa 2010, as I have already mentioned. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Poll would be nice.
    Has to be WC 2002 for me I was in school during the Germany game and it was amazing beats a pub any day. Also the whole Keane Saipan Saga added to the whole drama.
    Any tournament without Ireland to me cannot be deemed as the best one.
    Was too young for 94 and 90.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

I am not trying to say that 2010 WC is a best ever candidate, just by modern standards it was hardly bad.

You can say that it was a poor Italy side, but for players and fans from small countries, to beat one of the traditional giants is always a huge thing.

Germany and Uruguay made the knockout games watchable, but I felt Spain lucked it a bit compared to their Euro triumph.

Still, I have seen worse than South Africa 2010, as I have already mentioned. :D

The football was decent enough in the 2010 WC but the atmosphere at the games was apalling

Those feckin vuvuzelas:mad:

The football was decent enough in the 2010 WC but the atmosphere at the games was apalling

Those feckin vuvuzelas:mad:

At least I could turn the sound down, unlike those poor tourists in Cape Town, Durban, etc. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

mike65 wrote: »
    Germany vs France, a classic
    1986 World Cup some great games in Mexico - Brazil Vs France, another classic.

Yeah that was a great game. Another classic match between Belgium and Russia that year aswell. It was a crazy end-to-end game thet finished 4-3 to Belgium and could as easily have been 10-9 given the relentless attacking play of both teams.

Then you had the sheer brilliance of Maradona to behold aswell. That was a good World Cup alright.

Worst in terms of the actual football was Italia 90. Defensive football, endless backpasses, boring games, the worst final ever that was ruined by a cynical Argentinian team.

Memorable for other reasons though of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

another vote for euro 2008 and a very deserving winner in Spain, was fascinating to see if they would choke. David villa and torres at that exact time were one of the best strikeforces i have ever seen, rare to get such a great partnership at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

84 with Platini putting in the greatest individual performance of any player in a major international tournament ever, cementing his position as the greatest French player of all time, a position he holds to this day and for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

World Cup 2002 by a long shot - any excuse to post:

Germany v Cameroon warfare
    Senegal
    South Korea's 'advance'
    Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo
    Vieri's miss against Korea
    the Saudi keeper :pac:
    Carsten Jancker
    Kahn's performances
    Brazil v Costa Rica
    Dario Rodriguez
    Ballack's performance in the semifinal, despite a booking that ruled him out of the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Uruguay 1930. The Uruguayans were totes amaze with Pedro Cea particulalry impressive. Monetvideo was hustling and bustling that summer and the girls were showing more ankle than any man could handle. We all were wearing onions on our belt, which was the style at the time.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Euro 88 was actually decent.

Euro 2000 was best though for me.

The most underrated one would be WC 94 imo. Some very good games, just seem lack the atmosphere because of where it was played and final was very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Uruguay 1930. The Uruguayans were totes amaze with Pedro Cea particulalry impressive. Monetvideo was hustling and bustling that summer and the girls were showing more ankle than any man could handle. We all were wearing onions on our belt, which was the style at the time.........

I was too yongue to remember. But 34 was a great WC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

One of the best games at the euros:

http://rutube.ru/tracks/3996527.html

Euro 2000 was my favourite. I find the world cups boring until the semi finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

dfx- wrote: »
    World Cup 2002 by a long shot - any excuse to post:

Germany v Cameroon warfare
    Senegal
    South Korea's 'advance'
    Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo
    Vieri's miss against Korea
    the Saudi keeper :pac:
    Carsten Jancker
    Kahn's performances
    Brazil v Costa Rica
    Dario Rodriguez
    Ballack's performance in the semifinal, despite a booking that ruled him out of the final

Beckham's penalty versus Argentina?

Its the first world cup I have truly vivid memories of with regard to the actual football being played so will always be a special one of sorts. Looking back now though, especially at the review and highlight shows, it doesn't really have quite the same aura as some others. World Cups are usually great nonetheless though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

cgpg5 wrote: »

WC 2010 was bad alright but it had nothing on Italia 90 for sheer awfulness, trust me on this one! Obviously as an Irishman I have incredible memories of Italia 90 but there isn't a single game where I can look back and think 'what a fantastic game of football that was'. While the Argentinians had a lot to do with the negative image, it was just the way the game had gone at the time. There was very little imagination around and it just made for very dull, unexciting games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Mexico 86 for me. Probably some rose tinted glasses as it was the first tournament I would have seen a lot of, but for Maradona alone that was an amazing worls cup. The best player I have ever seen at the peak of his powers, against england and Belgium he was untouchable. Only Messi since has come anywhere close but he has never touched the heights Maradona hit in that tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Italia 90, obviously!!!

I liked Mexico 86 purely because I didn't see any of it (beyond highlights and recordings years later etc), so I can imagine all the games were classics just by the goals.

Importantly all the games appear to have been played in daylight and I think that's the last tournament with European involvement to be able to make that claim. Whilst not ideal conditions for players I think there's just something more special about the atmosphere when playing in natural light compared vs under floodlights.

• Advertisement

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I liked Mexico 86 purely because I didn't see any of it (beyond highlights and recordings years later etc), so I can imagine all the games were classics just by the goals.

Importantly all the games appear to have been played in daylight and I think that's the last tournament with European involvement to be able to make that claim. Whilst not ideal conditions for players I think there's just something more special about the atmosphere when playing in natural light compared vs under floodlights.

:confused: Atmosphere is always better under floodlights!!

Personally I disagree. I think you get a more intense crowd atmosphere under floodlights alright but that's not really what I'm looking for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Euro 2004.

I was going for the Czechs with all my heart and had my heart ripped open by that silver goal, or whatever it was called, in the semi-final.

Czech Rep. vs Holland was one of the best games I've ever seen, and I'll never get over the coolness of Poborsky to assist for the last goal:

This is getting me excited for the tournament next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Italia 90 :D

great memories of USA 94
    when this ad was played constantly:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

world cup 2006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Irish fans picking Ireland's 4 draws in Italia 90 is crazy....it was an awful tournament.

I loved Spain 82 World Cup.

First one I was old enough to watch all the games.

Northern Ireland beating Spain (I liked Norn Iron then).

Brazil playing football that would take your breath away.

Paolo Rossi coming back from bribery ban, barely got through their group phase and then this match happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

I love watching the copa america always something crazy going on like this mad yoke..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

1986. I was about 14 and I watched every game I could; collected the stickers; filled in the chart and all that. Maradona loomed over the tournament and is till one of my favourite players.

1990 was also great. Poor world cup but you'd need a heart of stone not to be moved by the scenes in Ireland that summer.

1996 deserves an honorary mention too.

I love watching the copa america always something crazy going on like this mad yoke..

LOL :D

Why they let him take another one after the second miss is beyond me. Even to let him take one after the first one is bad enough really.

Copa America is usually great entertainment.

i can remember 1991 the waterlogged pitches some of the games took place in. The ball couldn't move a foot. the quality of football is normally excellent though and you'd have to be killed to get a penalty in south america.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

murpho999 wrote: »
    Irish fans picking Ireland's 4 draws in Italia 90 is crazy....it was an awful tournament.

I loved Spain 82 World Cup.

First one I was old enough to watch all the games.

Northern Ireland beating Spain (I liked Norn Iron then).

Brazil playing football that would take your breath away.

Paolo Rossi coming back from bribery ban, barely got through their group phase and then this match happened.

Funny was only talking to my Dad about it the other day. I was not even born, but he was saying that he and pretty much all of the Republic at time would have no hesitation in supporting Northern Ireland back then. Even on the Green is the Colour program it was mentioned where so many Republicans supported them in those days.

It all changed in November 1993 though.

i can remember 1991 the waterlogged pitches some of the games took place in. The ball couldn't move a foot. the quality of football is normally excellent though and you'd have to be killed to get a penalty in south america.

That was the first (and probably last) Copa tournament I saw until 2011. I remember it constantly raining as well and pitches being a complete mess. I seem to remember Branco trying one of his long range shots and bringing up about 1/2 a tonne of water.

One other thing I remember a game at that tournament in one of the smaller stadiums. This stadium was really run down (esp consider it was a finals stadium!) and was this kind of disused area near one of the cornerflags. Anyway in it there was these (I assume?) local neighbourhood kids with a dog having a kickabout with an old ball , absolutely disinterested the game

Quite surreal stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

USA 94

It is the first tournament I can remember therefore holds a special place in my memory. Beating Italy, Aldridge fighting on the touchline, and then seeing the likes of Romario and Baggio for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Euro 2000. Loads of goals, loads of great attacking players at their peak and some truly classic matches, including one awesome 0-0 between Italy and Holland. It's the best one I've seen anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mexico '86 and Euro '92 for me. Two fantastic tournaments with lots of great games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Euro 2000 is my favourite.

Some fantastic matches throughout. So many late goals and comebacks.

Spain's 4-3 win over Yugoslavia.
    Slovenia go 3-0 up against Yugoslavia, with Zahovic pulling the strings only for Yugoslavia to score 3 in 5 minutes with 10 men.
    Portugal's comeback against England. Romania doing the same. Holland scoring buckets of goals.
    Zidane's brilliance.
    Incredibly dramatic final and semi-finals.

It really was a brilliant tournament and the first I watched.

• Advertisement

I really enjoyed USA 94, as well. What i loved about it was the matches were late. There was something great about watching the likes of Germany Vs South Korea at two in the morning!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Really enjoyed Euro 2008 and Euro 2004 was great too especially the Czech v Netherlands game which is my favourite football game of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Spain 82 was the first one I followed relentlessly. For some unknown reason, my teacher taped the West germany vs France semi final and invited another teacher with his class into ours to watch all of it (must have been a betamax).

That game woke up my love of football.

monkey9 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed USA 94, as well. What i loved about it was the matches were late. There was something great about watching the likes of Germany Vs South Korea at two in the morning!!

Why I like it so much is that the standard of players at the time was so high - Stoichkov, Baggio, Maldini, Romario, Klinsmann, Matthaus, Hagi, Bergkamp, Brolin, etc. All of them came up with something special at tournaments.

It really was a stellar lineup for that month, and most of the 'superstar' players of today don't seem to have the same presence, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

deisedude wrote: »
    especially the Czech v Netherlands game which is my favourite football game of all time.

Mine too. Magnificent match.

• Advertisement
Advertisement