Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

child pillion passenger

• 01-06-2012 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there is an age limit for a pillion passenger, what's the youngest you seen/carried?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No age limit, but they should be able to hold on and get their feet firmly on the footrests.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lac007

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think there is a minimum age, usually if they can reach the pillion pegs then they should be fine, but you can get child seats for younger kids.
    Short journeys are fine but longer trips would be a danger of them falling asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

No age limit but they have to be properly seated.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

And properly dressed with helmet and protective gear.

• Advertisement

gipi wrote: »
    And properly dressed with helmet and protective gear.

Just the helmet, the gear's optional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭carefull now!

lac007 wrote: »
    Some good stuff in that thread, I'm not sure bout straping her to me but the add on seat could be good one. She's four so I don't particularly want her on the bike but I'm gonna be bringing her to school soon which is 20 mins from my work, don't want to leave her there earlier than 8.30, so either put her on the back of the bike or push it along beside her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Some good stuff in that thread, I'm not sure bout straping her to me but the add on seat could be good one. She's four so I don't particularly want her on the bike but I'm gonna be bringing her to school soon which is 20 mins from my work, don't want to leave her there earlier than 8.30, so either put her on the back of the bike or push it along beside her!
    Four seems a bit young... Unless she is really big for her age it seems unlikely she will be able to reach the pegs. It might be tricky getting gear to fit her as well. I think I started taking my oldest child when she was around 7. Over the years she a probably done around 6000 miles as pillion.

I don't think I would be happy having her, or any pillion for that matter, strapped to me.

MrP

Im gonna stick her on the bike and see how she fits and comfortable she is, its Suzuki an125 (moped) so I'm not sure if the rear pegs differ from a bike. As long as she's comfortable and safe( as can be), I just wasn't sure if the guards might throw some unknown paragraph from the rules of the road at me! Thanks for the advice lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Im gonna stick her on the bike and see how she fits and comfortable she is, its Suzuki an125 (moped) so I'm not sure if the rear pegs differ from a bike. As long as she's comfortable and safe( as can be), I just wasn't sure if the guards might throw some unknown paragraph from the rules of the road at me! Thanks for the advice lads.

Had one of them for a while. With the seating position its not going to happen safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

I don't think a four year old can safely sit on any kind of two wheeled motorcycle. They have no concept of holding on at all times. They could be easily distracted by anything along the road and let go/turn around etc. Circumstance may dictate that your only means of transport is by moped, but please think of the safety of your child above all else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As father of a four year old daughter, who is tall for her age, I wouldn't consider it on any size of motorcycle or scooter. Eight maybe - seven possibly - but younger than that is physically too small and mentally too immature to be safe.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

I used to go around on my dads bike all the time from as young as I can remember, and I always knew to hold on, and I never felt unsafe.

A four year old will know to hold on, and you can get a type of belt now, with handles on it to make it easier for herhttp://www.2wheelride.com/llove_handle.html. She won't fall off, as long as you drive safely, and the guards won't stop you either.

People underestimate what kids are actually capable of. It's basic self-preservation and instinct, she will know not to let go. Just make sure acceleration and braking are smooth so you don't jolt her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

The easiest solution is to ask yourself if you are prepared for the consequences of a small child falling off...

Thanks for the opinions guys, all valid points too, the bike is in work at the minute so I haven't sat her on it yet. I would be interested getting a bolt on seat with side arm rest type holsters to keep her from sliding back or side to side, like the back seat on a gold wing. Anybody any ideas on where or who I might go to? Don't want a belt on type thing.

ratracer wrote: »
    The easiest solution is to ask yourself if you are prepared for the consequences of a small child falling off...

I'd be mindful of that no matter what age my passenger was, that said if you're a safe rider then you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Looks like the job alright, ever seen one yourself?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TheEndMyFriend

A friend of mine in the US used to do this with his kids.

He was able to buy what he described as a big velcro strap that went around himself and the child to ensure that the child did not have to hold on.

Something along the lines of this.

http://motorcyclekidz.com/ridingbelt.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

I've used love handles on my son until he was confident enough to grab the back of the bike

that seat looks good, have a 3yo asking to go on the bike now, he was ok with the love handles when going around the cul-de-sac at less than walking pace (with his brother's helmet on, which fit him as snugly as on the 9yo brother)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Quite the opposite but I take an 82 year old OAP out on the 200Px

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

Odysseus wrote: »
    Quite the opposite but I take an 82 year old OAP out on the 200Px

you remind me I brought an old man for a ride, he was 89 and rode the bike in his sleepers!
    this chap, Enzo, a retired italian barber, had bikes on his youth and was not afraid or hesitant to jump on my new bike
    he felt much better for weeks after, with more breath and not dragging his feet as much
    thanks for making me remember something nice I almost forgot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

quilmore wrote: »
    you remind me I brought an old man for a ride, he was 89 and rode the bike in his sleepers!
    this chap, Enzo, a retired italian barber, had bikes on his youth and was not afraid or hesitant to jump on my new bike
    he felt much better for weeks after, with more breath and not dragging his feet as much
    thanks for making me remember something nice I almost forgot!

Yeah it's my mam, she is 82. I try take her out at least one a week, took her from Ballyfermot to Bray on Saturday. She can't fit on my other bikes but the Vespa 200PX is ideal with the gap in the saddle and the floorboards. My own man had bikes so she is well used to it.

Advertisement