Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New HDD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Good hard drive. One of the faster ones and fairly reliable. Only thing is that it only has a 1 year warranty. :(

You'd have to look at enterprise drives for longer warranty. Western Digital have 2 years for theirs (black edition still 5 year, same as Samsung enterprise, as far as I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Monotype wrote: »
    Good hard drive. One of the faster ones and fairly reliable. Only thing is that it only has a 1 year warranty. :(

You'd have to look at enterprise drives for longer warranty. Western Digital have 2 years for theirs (black edition still 5 year, same as Samsung enterprise, as far as I know).

Any of those for around 80?

I don't see the F3 enterprise (HE103SJ) on HWV. Maybe they don't sell them anymore, or it's been re-branded as a Seagate.

The WD blacks aren't that cheap at all. The 500GB are under the €80, but the 1TB is just over the €100 mark. 5 year warranty.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/7200+RPM/37168/WD+Caviar+Black+1TB+SATA+3+8%2C9cm(3%2C5).article

The WD blue 1TB is ~€82. 2 year warranty. I think the Samsung has a slight edge in sequential speed, but the WD is a little better in random access.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/7200+RPM/39658/WD+Caviar+Blue+1TB+SATA+3+6Gb+s.article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Stay away from the WD Caviar Green bloody things give me nothing but bother!

Can you elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

They dont have some of the commands needed for RAID - TLER iirc. Very slow speeds when in RAID. Alright when they are on their own I guess.

I was under the impression that most consumer level hard drives no longer supported TLER. But, yeah, green drives is certainly not where you'd be looking at if you were considering RAID.

Advertisement