Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog is travel sick I think

• 01-06-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone i have a collie bitch between about a year and a half old and a few times we've taken her on spins she tends to get sick especially if shes eaten,

Now we#re going to kilkee tomorow which is about an hours drive and i really want to bring her for her 1st day at the beach any tips on how we can avoid her getting sick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I find the easiest way to avoid is not a feed them before the journey. I know this may sound a bit mean but it is best all round as she is not going to like the feeling if being car sick either. Just feed her when you arrive at your destination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Thats true but theres the journey back too to think about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Thats true but theres the journey back too to think about

Maybe just do small meals then, maybe just half her usual meal when you arrive at the beach, even a quarter just to keep her going, you could also try feeding her a number of hours before you go.

thats true thanks for the fast reply and help :) will comment tomrow night when we get back and let ya know how we fare out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Keep her as close to the centre of the car as possible to avoid the rolling sensation when your turning, accelerating and braking. Some say feeding them a ginger biscuit an hour before the journey helps. Also keeping them confined where they can't look out the windows is supposed to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Our wee dog was like this when still young, so we stopped taking her our for a while and she grew out of it. We were dreading the house move but she was fine.

Ginger is good, and tiny meals, but of course always water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 mintoffdom

Same problem here. The dog won't even get into the car anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Mine was always originally car sick ; for the first 7 or 8 months ; disaster! I had a crate thou so that saved me a lot of valeting of the car ( best investment ever). The not feedling worked but as you say there was always the journey home. tHEN by chance, someone suggested to me that I put a coushin/pillow in the crate for the dog to sit on. I was very skeptical but I did : and the dog stopped being carsick instantly!!! I think the coushin absorbs a bit of the car movement & makes it less roller-coastey for them!! Either way I highly recommend it! ( don't be using your granny's favourite coushin just in case!!) good luck!!! : )

Well we got to ennis and it started pissing rain so we decided to turn back not before Gypsy puked on a towel in the back seat oh well...got further than we thought we did get travel tablets for her in petmania though so hopefully next time those will work for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Well we got to ennis and it started pissing rain so we decided to turn back not before Gypsy puked on a towel in the back seat oh well...got further than we thought we did get travel tablets for her in petmania though so hopefully next time those will work for her

Does she stand up on the backseat? When my fella stands up on the backseat he sways all over the place, can't keep his balance at all. I either make sure he lies down or make him sit on the floor. All the swaying about and rocking motion on the backseat can't be too nice for the best of travellers nevermind a travelsick dog but yet they don't seem to cop on that standing up is uncomfortable, silly dogs! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Fresh Rosemary in the car is supposed to work as well - and makes the car smell nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

ISDW wrote: »
    Fresh Rosemary in the car is supposed to work as well - and makes the car smell nice :)

Might try this with the pup, he went on his first outing to the park yesterday, pee'd twice, poo'd one and threw up 5 times. Then there was hardly anyone at the park when I got there, so sort of defeated the whole purpose of going!

Got a memory foam dog bed in Jollyees today, removable cover and the inside is supposedly water resistant, so will report back if this makes any difference, though I don't think I'll try again properly till next weekend.

Well yes and no she goes from lying down staring at the floor to standing up feeling and looking awkward , My gf held her in her lap on the way but soon as she went into the back puuuuukke lol

Advertisement