Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

absent cert signature required by dept?

• 01-06-2012 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Can anyone explain to me what this is? Today ,our school secretary gave us an envelope and asked us to open it and verify what was written on it as regards absences from school throughout the school year,sign it and give it back to her so she could forward it to the dept.
    In my case the form in the envelope shown that I was away for 2 days in-service,and was away on school business on 5 ocassions,(football matches,we actually got to and won a final!!!),
    I had nil sick days,personal days or any type of leave for the whole school year yet I had clocked up 7 days according to this form,a bit unfair considering that I was not absent for the whole year.Is it some survey the dept are doing? I looked at a colleagues' form and she had certified sick leave written alongside her two days absence and in-service of 1 day totaling 3 for the year.Another teacher didn't get any form even though she was off sick for 5 days with a leg injury!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Did it clearly state that you were on in-service or approved school business? If it did I don't really see what the problem is, it doesn't appear to be an accusation, just a survey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

looksee wrote: »
    Did it clearly state that you were on in-service or approved school business? If it did I don't really see what the problem is, it doesn't appear to be an accusation, just a survey.

Not many surveys where you just put a signature to a false declaration that someone has made on your behalf...aren;t survey's supposed to be anonymous?

The question needs to be asked,, why are the details incorrect? Could the school be claiming for substitutions that never happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Sure if you haven't been docked pay and aren't being accused of pulling sickies, what's the problem?

The principal is probably sorting out some substitution return form for the department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

We do this in my school all the time, except the secretary comes around to us on a monthly basis to sign against the day we were absent, whether it be sick leave or a football match. I assume it's to keep records of absences which can be checked against the supervision and substitution used by management over the course of the year and paid for by the VEC/Dept. I don't see what the problem is or why you think it's unfair. You were given a list of the days your were not in your classroom teaching, it was factual and correct according to yourself. Substitution had to be provided for each of those days. The department will want to know what they are paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anfield liv

I have no problem with the 'survey' really,but considering I was not away sick etc but away on school duty should that not be noted rather than looking at the bottom figure.I pride myself on my record but when compared to somebody that was 'sick' for 7 days(certified or uncertified),there is no difference with their record and mine.I understand that my classes had to be covered but I was representing the school not away 'sick'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I have no problem with the 'survey' really,but considering I was not away sick etc but away on school duty should that not be noted rather than looking at the bottom figure.I pride myself on my record but when compared to somebody that was 'sick' for 7 days(certified or uncertified),there is no difference with their record and mine.I understand that my classes had to be covered but I was representing the school not away 'sick'!

It wasn't written down that you were sick, it was written down that you were at inservice etc and therefore you were unavailable to teach your classes and a sub was needed. The school has a budget for S&S. If you are certified sick, the dept will pay for your sub, if you are away for another reason it has to come out of the budget allocated to the school. Management have to be accountable for the money they spend on S&S. They have to produce paperwork showing why people were absent and for what reason. Money can be claimed back from the social welfare for the person out with the sick cert, it can't be claimed back for the person who brought the second years to a football match. Therefore complete records are necessary.

If you were to get your record of absences of sick leave from the department none of this stuff would be on it. You were away on school business.

Seriously, going by your other thread, there are far bigger problems in your school, than the school keeping a (necessary) record of absence for supervision and substitution purposes.

If you were to look around your staff room you know the people who are always at work and the ones that are constantly taking sick days. You don't need a sheet of paper to tell you about your good record. You can be sure other people on staff also notice who is regularly absent and who is not also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Why do you keep mentioning your record? This isn't going to go on your record. Comparing yourself to a colleague who was sick is irrelevant, as certified sick leave is a lot easier to sort out administratively. The dept knows who was sick - that's why you get a cert. It's accounting for and keeping track of other absences that's a pain in the ass for management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

If you are concerned about this then I would suggest approaching your union rep and asking for advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anfield liv

got onto the Dept and they were very efficient,reported back in no time with my record....and to be fair it did not include in service days or days away on school duties. It only recorded a couple of days I was ill ,back in 2008-09.Credit where credit is due,very well done Dept!

Advertisement