Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should hats be brought back into fashion?

• 01-06-2012 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Apparently the lads stopped wearing them back in the early 70's. If they came back into fashion I'd definitely wear a hat to work or down to the shops or what have ya. Would you wear a hat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

That would be an ecumenical matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

what you think you look like...

what you actually look like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Hats 40% ceeeeeeeaps 60%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Why does it have to be 'in fashion' for you to wear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I hate hats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

And bonnets.

I like a nice bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I have a trilby I like to wear on occasion, makes me feel like a 1940s wise guy sitting in an uptown joint drinking neat scotch and counting the notes from that weeks numbers takings.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Well it will give the Conniving Fashion Industry something to send back out of Fashion again and speed up the treadmill which it is always trying to do .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Yes, they're hot.
    I especially love trilby hats, and top hats on guys.
    And kinda cowboy hats too - but they'd have to know how to tip it and say "howdy mam".
    And for some strange reason, bandanas - like Axl in Sweet Child O' Mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Baseball hat? No. Fedora? Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

A beret or sombrero only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

micropig wrote: »
    Why does it have to be 'in fashion' for you to wear it?

Well I don't want to be the only hat wearer in the village!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

It's all JFK's fault. He was the first famous man to go hatless.

If he had worn a nice, stylish, bullet proof hat when he was in Dallas, things would be very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

There's always one dipsh*t in a club with a hat.
    Normally they're maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I say bring back hats. And waistcoats. And wearing suits for no particular purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Emerald1

I'd love to see more people wearing hats, both men and women. There's something about them that makes you look very smart and as though you've made an effort IMO.

Also in agreement with the waistcoats and suits idea too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I want to see the return of hats, just so we can have this classic gameshow on our screens again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I look at shows like Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men and think "jeez we sure were stylish back then".

Looking at today's "style" though makes me realise that the human race really is becoming lazier. Why go to the effort of looking well wearing a suit when you can slip on a pair of tracksuit bottoms and a Celtic jersey*?

*not stereotyping of course

Actually come to think of it, maybe that's why Irish weddings are so crazy. We're not used to wearing suits and make it a special occasion. Nucky Thompson and Don Draper wear suits everyday, and they're well able to handle the drink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hats are still around!! :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

doovdela wrote: »
    Hats are still around!! :/

I don't usually see them at all.
    Maybe they're just around in sillybillyville.

Edit: You changed your location to make me look like a loon didn't you?!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Yes they should. As should wearing ties like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Like suits, a lot of people aren't familiar with hats and don't know how they should be worn.
    For one thing, buying a Trilby from Topman and plonking it on your head doesn't make you Don Draper. For the love of God, get measured so you can at least not look like an aspiring clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I wear a beanie most of the time ...

I've Bren toying with an idea of a panama :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

I wear a flat cap almost anywhere. I have two at the moment, but I find it hard not to try one on if I see one in a shop.

Also, the Hat Shop in Stephen's Green Shopping Centre is probably my favourite shop anywhere. And yes, I'd wear a suit any time if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

we need to go back to the day when everyone wore a hat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Love hats!

Wish people would make more of an effort in apparel now..........

All gone to sh1t thanks to "Juicy Couture"

Where the couture part comes in with tracksuits beats the hell outta me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Absolutely they should be but not just as a novelty - more as a re-implantation of a staple of manly apparel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

You can't just bring things :rolleyes: into fashion dahling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Somebody better make a joke about rape or something or this thread is going to get moved to the fashion forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I don't really see the point of hats. I do wear woolly hats in the winter to keep my shaved little head warm, but anything else seem like a needless accessory worn only for purely decorative purposes. I guess they might keep your head dry in the rain, but an umbrella seems more reliable than a possibly permeable hat.

But then I'm quite utilitarian in my tastes in clothes. I prefer to wear nice-looking clothes, but they must be functional too. So I'd happily wear a nice jumper/t-shirt/shirt, and usually do, but I'd never, for example, wear a scarf when it's not cold (I've never understood this trend: it looks like the most stupid thing in the world when I see people doing that), or wear a hat if I had no reason to do so.

*adjusts barrel straps*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Ah sure you could throw yer hat at that!

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Where To wrote: »
    And bonnets.

I like a nice bonnet.

I bet you do, eh .. nudge nudge ;);)

You better be a woman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

I don't really see the point of hats. I do wear woolly hats in the winter to keep my shaved little head warm, but anything else seem like a needless accessory worn only for purely decorative purposes. I guess they might keep your head dry in the rain, but an umbrella seems more reliable than a possibly permeable hat.

But then I'm quite utilitarian in my tastes in clothes. I prefer to wear nice-looking clothes, but they must be functional too. So I'd happily wear a nice jumper/t-shirt/shirt, and usually do, but I'd never, for example, wear a scarf when it's not cold (I've never understood this trend: it looks like the most stupid thing in the world when I see people doing that), or wear a hat if I had no reason to do so.

*adjusts barrel straps*

Hats keep the head warm and most are waterproof. They are more reliable than an umbrella as they are less affected by wind and less likely to get left behind. Hats and other headgear fell victim to cars. This was for two reasons. The can't be worn sitting down in a car. Before cars there were a lot of animals on the road and there was a constant danger of road dirt landing on one's head when outdoors. If you look at photos of poor people from the 19th century almost all wore headgear even if not wearing shoes. The exact reverse is the case today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I love hats, used to have so many of them. You're totally right OP, also whoever commented about suits. Just making an effort in general would be nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Try living at about 62 degrees North and see how many months of the year you can do without a hat of some kind.:)

There used to be a saying: "If you want to get ahead, get a hat.":)

The one I wear in the evenings at this time of year is a Borsalino:

http://www.bencrafthats.com/superfile/prod_img/3B_ASTU.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

foxy.jpg

Bring back everything in this pic except the dead animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I like. Hats, I have loads of them for different purposes, a beanie for mechanical work, a baseball cap for driving, a floppy hat for working in the fields and a very nice wide brimmed felt hat for daytime special occasions along with a trilby for nighttime purposes.

I also like waistcoats and would not be seen in public without a collared shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Hats and suits should be common attire for all men. I say bring them back. Worn a suit and hat into college for an interview. Everybody kept given me complements on how I looked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

http://openclipart.org/people/Tavin/like_a_sir.svg

i wasn't aware hats were out of fashion in the first place... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

As we're bringing it back can we make sure the brim must be at least shoulder width in diameter. I'm not married to a large fluffy feather out the top, but not opposed to it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I've just bought myself a rather fetching cloche hat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I have 6 or 7 hats and I wear them frequently. Hats are cool. The idea you that you can't wear them until everybody else does is quiet frankly gross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Sindri wrote: »
    You can't just bring things :rolleyes: into fashion dahling!

It's called style dear, you wouldn't understand:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

For those who would like to see hats become popular again; why not just get one?
    If people start wearing them they will become popular again. Also out of interest what type would you perfer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Too much time on their hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

And suits and trenchcoats

What man doesn't want to look like Humphrey Bogart :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mikemac1 wrote: »
    And suits and trenchcoats

What man doesn't want to look like Humphrey Bogart :cool:

The live ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Raic

Hats should definitely come back into fashion and waistcoats too, as others have suggested; I wear waistcoats all the time along with a pocket watch and my top hat as well. One of my friends is not to be seen without his own top hat and he has a pocket watch too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement