Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone else gonna fail ordinary irish?

• 01-06-2012 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

i have done irish for like 12 years and still dont know a word of it or how to form proper sentences. partly because i am not very good at launguages but mostly down to the fact that i cant memorise the reams of notes my teacher gives me and i dont know what to do.

i really dont wanna fail irish but i dont really need it for points either so 200 marks will do.any tips on what to do or study? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Well the orals 40%, so with that, my aural and reading comprehension I hope to pass. I probably won't do the poetry/stories. I don't know what's on the course or anything, and they're worth miniscule marks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Well I did a crap oral (although I did managed to say that Leonardo Dicaprio is sexy mid oral as gaeilge :cool: ). I plan in doing an average written exam, an average aural exam and a really crap section on poems and stories without acc failing the thing. The failure rate for OL Itish is probably really low anyway do I am not worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 xbl

Well the orals 40%, so with that, my aural and reading comprehension I hope to pass. I probably won't do the poetry/stories. I don't know what's on the course or anything, and they're worth miniscule marks

ya i was thinking that too but i dont think my orals went well but i probably passed. i was going to do aural and coprehensions but i will need to a something fro aper 1 to ensure i pass but cant write irish so i am kinda f****d unless someone has any helpful advice or tip on what to do for paper 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Once I hit 40% and get my D3 I don't even care. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to never have to speak/write another word of Irish again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 xbl

same all i want is 40% and never to see irish again after that

• Advertisement

38% is a pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

38% is a pass!

Whaaaaaaaaaat? Since when? Beautiful, I can set my aims even lower. :D

There was a thread here the other day...

"Some candidates awarded a grade D3 may discover that their total mark is actually below the 40%boundary between D3 and E. This is because of a longstanding practice in place since the introduction ofthe grading system in 1969 to award a grade D with a tolerance of up to 2%. This does not apply at anyother grade boundary"

At the end of this

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

I prob wont fail but ill just do very bad !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I'm very worried for this exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm terrible at Irish and managed a B3 in the Mock! Haven't done anything for it yet but hope to do about 12 hours next weekend so I should get a B2/B1 hopefully! The Comprehensions/tape and Paper II is so easy imo! Just know a summary of each poem/story and that's really all you need!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I know the names of the characters in the prose this time...so I'm hoping that helps rather than the mocks where everyone was 'The Woman' or 'The man' etc :P

The poems and stories are worth feck all of the overall percentage. The comprehensions are worth more

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

Not me because I ain't doing it. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 antok93

can someone of ye give me the layout of paper 1 and paper 2? haven't a clue what's on what :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

antok93 wrote: »
    can someone of ye give me the layout of paper 1 and paper 2? haven't a clue what's on what :/

You can get the papers from examinations.ie

There is no mass to worry about Irish.
    I destroyed my oral and aural.

I done a bit of waffle in my fatal paper, didn't even know what the questions meant. If you just try to write something for every question you should all be grand.

Even if you think what your writing Is complete ****e just write something and they will give marks for if they can get dome idea of what your trying yo say.

I think there should be a campaign to get bonus marks for doing the exam in Irish :)

dillo2k10 wrote: »

I done a bit of waffle in my fatal paper, didn't even know what the questions meant. If you just try to write something for every question you should all be grand.

Even if you think what your writing Is complete ****e just write something and they will give marks for if they can get dome idea of what your trying yo say.

I think there should be a campaign to get bonus marks for doing the exam in Irish :)
    What did you get in Irish if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    dillo2k10 wrote: »

What did you get in Irish if you dont mind me asking?

I got a D1, not a great result but I was delighted, I just needed a pass

I still have yet to start studying for this, im gonna fail miserably :(
    Would anyone be kind enough to give me an essay on sport/summer holidays/problems in ireland etc. ? or at least give me a link to some online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭cathal_flynn

I still have yet to start studying for this, im gonna fail miserably :(
    Would anyone be kind enough to give me an essay on sport/summer holidays/problems in ireland etc. ? or at least give me a link to some online

Our teacher made us learn off the concert essay. What ever come up for the letter or story we can change it to suite the concert (there's a bit in it were we get locked and go to hospital :) ). For example we win a football match. Then to celebrate we went to a concert and got locked :P

• Advertisement

Our teacher made us learn off the concert essay. What ever come up for the letter or story we can change it to suite the concert (there's a bit in it were we get locked and go to hospital :) ). For example we win a football match. Then to celebrate we went to a concert and got locked :P

Would it be possible that you could show me the essay?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Doubt i'll fail tbh:pac: Fairly handy to pass, just do the listening, comprehensions & do a story, along with the oral you should have passed. Hate Irish though was my most hated subject, such a waste of 6 classes a week:(

Another question :rolleyes:
    How much is one meant to write for the essay and letter on paper 1 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭cathal_flynn

That would be tricky for me as I'm working off a iPod :L laptops broke if I can sort something out I'll pm you ;)

That would be tricky for me as I'm working off a iPod :L laptops broke if I can sort something out I'll pm you ;)

That would be great if you could :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Another question :rolleyes:
    How much is one meant to write for the essay and letter on paper 1 ?

I did a page for the essay and half a page of writing for the letter (excluding address and ending). I got 35/50 for the essay and 30/50 for the letter, my Irish is useless though.

Advertisement