Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make a slightly stronger kit beer?

Options
  • 01-06-2012 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I've made two Coopers kits so far, a Canadian blonde and a wheat beer. The wheat beer was excellent. However, it turned out a bit too low in alcohol content, 3.8%. Should have been 4.3%. Not a massive difference. I would like to know how to make it a bit stronger though, say 5.3%, next time. I've read suff on the interweb and some people say just add some more malt extract. But some others say don't mess at all with the kit ingredients as it will alter the designed taste or worse wreck the process altogether. Also, some people suggest using less water, again some others say don't. I'd love to know the thoughts some of you guys have, or better still some anyone with actual experience of this with a Coopers kit??? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Syracus wrote: »
    But some others say don't mess at all with the kit ingredients as it will alter the designed taste or worse wreck the process altogether.

Ha that's a good one,, is there anyone on this forum/ planet who has not tweeked any recipe in some way?

I also did the coopers blonde first and it was nice but low in alcohol.. next up the coopers wheat beer... about 2 litres less water, then more DME then some honey then some brew sugar to boot, twas a nice taste alright and a nice 5%ish .. only thing was I didn;t do a secondary so a lot of sediment in the bottles made it VERY fizzy and tricky to pour (there is a knack). I'll try and dig up that thread as it was on trying to make a hoegarden clone out of Coopers Wheat...

Bought the coopers wheat again so will probably try the same recepie again (with more sazz hops/coriander/orange peel/cloves/chamomile/honey etc..).. might try the secondary fermentation this time but probably will just end up buying a bigger glass to compensate for the large head...

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

If you want to up your alcohol range look into two can kits. or up your fermentables. something like 1 kg of dme and 3-500g of another fermentable ie golden syrup or dextrose etc, lots to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Syracus

Armelodie and Westwood, thanks guys. What I'm reading here is JDI, just do it. Cool, I'll try more DME to start, and maybe some honey, and see how I get on. Cheers!!:D

Advertisement