Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Own dog misbehaving since foster arrived.

• 01-06-2012 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I got my first foster today, I know it is early days but just wanted to get some advice.

My own fella has been overexcited since the moment the other dog arrived, he will not leave him alone. He is hyper active in a way its been a while since I've seen him be, not listening to commands, running all over the place, he just seems stressed. He is mad to play with the other dog but once the other dog starts playing he tries to jump on his back the other fella then tries to do the same. He has completely lost the run of himself, he is usually fantastic with other dogs. I know the mounting is them trying to exert dominance over each other but, the foster dog is getting sick of trying to fight him off it's all the time, and there have been a few growling incidents, from the foster, but my idiot just isnt getting the picture,he just will not leave him alone.

What should I do to try and calm him, he is clearly very stressed and insecure right now, I know I probably didn't introduce them correctly but since my own dog is usually brilliant with dogs I thought nothing of it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I got my first foster today, I know it is early days but just wanted to get some advice.

My own fella has been overexcited since the moment the other dog arrived, he will not leave him alone. He is hyper active in a way its been a while since I've seen him be, not listening to commands, running all over the place, he just seems stressed. He is mad to play with the other dog but once the other dog starts playing he tries to jump on his back the other fella then tries to do the same. He has completely lost the run of himself, he is usually fantastic with other dogs. I know the mounting is them trying to exert dominance over each other but, the foster dog is getting sick of trying to fight him off it's all the time, and there have been a few growling incidents, from the foster, but my idiot just isnt getting the picture,he just will not leave him alone.

What should I do to try and calm him, he is clearly very stressed and insecure right now, I know I probably didn't introduce them correctly but since my own dog is usually brilliant with dogs I thought nothing of it!

Wouldn't be too concerned this early, it's just a case of the kid on Christmas morning. The exuberance is borne out of the change in routine and the new pal arriving, give it a couple of days and all should return to normal !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

What he said ^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Agree. He's not misbehaving. He's actually behaving. Completely appropriately for a dog who's pack order use been disrupted. Let them figure it out between themselves. Just make sure two-legs stays in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Thank you guys, will be starting training with the foster tomorrow but plan to integrate my own dog into the sessions. Hopefully he will calm down a little then.

Advertisement