Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Ah look, I went through the nineties too. Big fan of some of the also rans like embrace, longpigs, dawn of the replicants, delakota, boo radleys but no point in looking back at everything with rose tinted glasses. Dodgy, menswear, symposium, 60ft dolls, what was I thinking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

sweetie wrote: »
    Ah look, I went through the nineties too. Big fan of some of the also rans like embrace, longpigs, dawn of the replicants, delakota, boo radleys but no point in looking back at everything with rose tinted glasses. Dodgy, menswear, symposium, 60ft dolls, what was I thinking!

Gay Dad!

mosstin wrote:
    Gay Dad!

Oh god, they were average. Gene were another that weren't bad. Actually the more out there stuff like Mansun, SFA and Corners hop aged way less.

Still love these. Giant Steps is a wonderful record and C'mon Kids was brilliant also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Finally got round to Everything Everything's latest effort, a great listen.

mosstin wrote:
    Still love these. Giant Steps is a wonderful record and C'mon Kids was brilliant also.

Martin Carr's new album New Shapes of life is just out. Great band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Bjork has a new album out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Arghus wrote: »
    Bjork has a new album out.

Any good?

bullpost wrote: »
    Any good?

I've only listened to it once. Impossible to say. I find you need a good few listens of any of her stuff to form a sensible opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

How are these included???
    Embrace have some fantastic songs

Next thing you'll be including Supergrass

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote:
    How are these included??? Embrace have some fantastic songs

I said I was a fan, loved the first couple of albums. they never really got critical acclaim though. Supergrass were great, 'in it for the money' was an amazing album.

bullpost wrote: »
    Any good?

It's Björk, of course it's good! :P But it's quite a long album and there are no real catchy hooks or big choruses on it, so if you're looking for something akin to "Army of Me", "Big Time Sensuality" or even "Crystalline" then you'll probably be disappointed.

I think it's an album you need to take in bits and pieces, rather than try to "get" it all in one listen start to finish. Similar to Vulnicura in that sense. But I suspect (hope!) it will be a grower that reveals more on each listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Few months old but some tasty off kilter tunes on Deerhoofs Mountain Moves..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Pighead wrote: »
    They're back! Shed Seven's new album 'Instant Pleasures' out today. Going to listen to it on my way home from work. I'm expecting greatness. One of my favourite bands from my teenage years.

Most of you will probably pretend that you have absolutely zero respect for the Sheds but deep deep deep down you know you love them.

Heard the new single, and it's not that bad. They did write some decent songs in te 90s. Better than half of the twee poserish indie rubbish lauded on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

seachto7 wrote: »
    Better than half of the twee poserish indie rubbish lauded on here.
    Belle and Sebastian? The Field Mice? Talulah Gosh?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

came out in august, but Gang of Youths album Go Farther in Lightness is one of my albums of the year even though i just discovered it...

on a bit of a world music buzz at the moment and enjoying the new Khruangbin (con todo el mundo) and Penya (super liminal) albums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Really impressed with Poni Hoax - Tropical Suite
    This track is fantastic
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77wfDTr1dys

Really getting into the new album by Hookworms Microshift.

It's a big departure in their sound. It's dominated by synths and loops and a lot of the corrosive guitars are gone completely. It's also a very warm and and emotional record, which, again, is a departure from the past.

Some of the songs are unbelievable. It took me about three or four listens until I realised that this is a truly amazing tune -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

https://youtu.be/qn_jePJTIRk

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but loving Tiny Moving Parts newest record. It's emo, it's math, it's indie.. really adore their sound as it is but this fulfills that. Such a depth of emotion in there.

The new Pianos Become The Teeth album is also brilliant: https://youtu.be/VHJMklnYugQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The new MGMT album is top notch stuff. Great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Irish_rat wrote: »

hmm, I listened to it once and it didn't make much of an impression on me (I did like their first 2 albums). Maybe I'll give it another spin.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    I haven't listened to the whole album yet, but this is one seriously trippy music video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Unbelievably, despite knowing of their existence for, what is it they've been around (?), 10y plus, I've never really heard any of these guys' stuff. This is one trippy video, alright, but also unsettling & disturbing! And similarly, a very trippy song! I like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Not quite sure as to their alt/indie credentials but the neighborhoods self titled third album is worth a listen.I Thought some songs sounded like they could be on a MGMT record. Few fluffer tracks as well but overall probably the best album I've heard so far this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Enjoyed the new Rejjie Snow alot

if you're into Cornish-language electro-pop (and who isnt?), I recommend the new Gwenno album:

loyatemu wrote: »
    if you're into Cornish-language electro-pop (and who isnt?), I recommend the new Gwenno album:

been listening to this a few times, not as good as her debut for me but time may tell.

been listening to this a few times, not as good as her debut for me but time may tell.

yeah I've gone back and listened to that (which was in Welsh) and it's also very good.

It might be a bit over the top for some but I know what album I'll be listening to the next time I'm walking on an isolated country road at night, alone:

• Advertisement

The new Anna von Hausswolff album is my favourite so far this year. Very dark and atmospheric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The Lowtide album is great for those into their 90's shoegaze.

Any love for Young Fathers in here?

They've a new album out Cocoa Sugar. This one is a bit milder than what they've done previously. I've seen it described as more "accessible", but I don't know if I'd agree with that assessment entirely - it's certainly less busy and noisy than some of their earlier material but they've always been able to make their songs hooky as hell no matter what. This album sounds more streamlined on the surface, but if you pay attention to the instrumentation and arrangement it's amazing how weird and eerie many of the songs really are. It rewards repeat listens.

Anyway, great band IMO. Consistently high quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Misty27

Living Hour released this EP this  March: "Lovely, Lonely" A Collection of Covers for Hollow Hearts".
    livinghourband.com/newep

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Misty27

Living Hour also released a set of 5 original songs in a live Audiotree session:
    audiotree.tv/session/living-hour

New Okkervil River album imminent. This is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭mgkelly

As a chest doctor meself, this is a hilarious & interesting song! Never heard a song before about tracheotomies!
    Cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

New Gaz Coombes album (released today) is an absolute cracker!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Spear Tackle

So eh , the Arctic Monkeys released a new album and its very very different.

Reviews ranging from "masterpiece" to " what the **** is this you Kants"

in summation:
    Alex Turner got gifted a piano and made a self indulgent solo album. The rest of the lads came over to get their pics taken for the album sleeve.
    Either that or their guitars were stolen.

I absolutely love it, but i'm pretentious. I can picture it being on in the background of a South William Street cafe while i place my order for an avocado and peach flatbread with a teaberry cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

in summation:
    Alex Turner got gifted a piano and made a self indulgent solo album. The rest of the lads came over to get their pics taken for the album sleeve.

I absolutely love it, but i'm pretentious. I can picture it being on in the background of a South William Street cafe while i place my order for an avocado and peach flatbread with a teaberry cooler.

I've only listened once but there's very little making me want to go back to it again.

• Advertisement

listening to it now, it's (unsurprisingly) quite reminiscent of the Last Shadow Puppets stuff, which is not a problem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

mosstin wrote: »
    New Okkervil River album imminent. This is lovely.

Brilliant band - Lost Coastlines in one of great songs of the last 10 years. Video has 34K views on you tube!!..not right.

Listening now to '7' by Beach House for the first time. Out of all their albums (which have been hit and miss for me - 'Bloom' being my favourite), this sounds most promising on first listen. Tune called 'Dive' which stands out already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Listening now to '7' by Beach House for the first time. Out of all their albums (which have been hit and miss for me - 'Bloom' being my favourite), this sounds most promising on first listen. Tune called 'Dive' which stands out already.

Very impressed with this...loving the opening track, Dive and Lemon Glow

New Jon Hopkins, 'Singularity' is also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

in summation:

On of the worst albums i've heard put out by a major band.listen to it through 4 times now and gets worse everytime. Alot of the lyrics are drivel and nonsensical.he's trying to sound impressive and sophisticated but it's not coherent.throwing out random words like quantatative easing when it doesn't related or fit into the song abd you know he doesn't know what it means.mention technology multiple times also,maybe their attempt at an ok computer type commentary on tech but unlike thom york and the boys they don't actually make any profound or meaningful commentary.they turned into the band they have lamented on their first album that were singing fake tales of San Francisco. Also the music and instruments are boring an ineffective.

I really like the new Beach House. I loved Teen Dream but the subsequent albums seemed to be diminishing returns on the same formula, so this is a nice surprise. It's still clearly them, but with enough new stuff going on to keep it interesting.

New Parquet Courts is A Savage album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

New Parquet Courts is A Savage album

I think it might be my favourite album of the year so far.

The new Belly album is great as well. Great to have them back.

• Advertisement

New Jon Hopkins, 'Singularity' is also excellent.
    On first impression it sounds like Immunity part II. I was expecting more of departure. The jury still be out.

Advertisement