Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Robert Forster-Songs To Play. Stunning record.
    Eyelids OR-854. If you like big Star, Teenage Fanclub, REM etc you'll love this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

lewisdhead wrote: »
    Eyelids OR-854. If you like big Star, Teenage Fanclub, REM etc you'll love this.
    Sold! Must check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Good call. Am loving this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's absolutely class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

New Beach House album is out, definitely not a bunch of Depression Cherry B-sides, some good songs on there.

Also check out Nothing But Thieves album, singer has been compared to Jeff Buckley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thank Your Lucky Stars is a serious record - reminds me of Devotion. Sounds a lot sadder than DC too. All Your Yeahs, Rough Song and Traveler have totally got me at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ShaneU wrote: »
    New Beach House album is out, definitely not a bunch of Depression Cherry B-sides, some good songs on there.

Yes. Listening to it now.

A surprise wasn't it?

Little May - For the company

Its pretty mellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

not new, but was unavailable for a long time Michael Head and Strands "The Magical World of the Strands" - Head was the main man in great 90s also-rans Shack. It's a really lovely 60s-tinged folk rock record in the vein of the Coral:

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    not new, but was unavailable for a long time Michael Head and Strands "The Magical World of the Strands" - Head was the main man in great 90s also-rans Shack. It's a really lovely 60s-tinged folk rock record in the vein of the Coral:

Well if you're going there, check out 'HMS Fable' by Shack. Lovely.

If you took the best bits from Depression Cherry and Thank Your Lucky Stars you'd have a mighty fine single side album. For me it seems like Beach House's albums always have three or four gems but then the rest becomes forgettable.

"All Your Yeahs" is absolutely gorgeous though, up there with "Sparks" as being on my list of favourite songs of 2015. Looking forward to seeing them tomorrow night in Vicar Street. :)

Thank Your Lucky Stars is a serious record - reminds me of Devotion. Sounds a lot sadder than DC too. All Your Yeahs, Rough Song and Traveler have totally got me at the moment.
    Thank Your Lucky Stars reminded me of Devotion in that it bored me and lacked the songwriting that made Teen Dream and Bloom enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dundalk's Shane Clarke sings under the name 'elephant' and he has just released his debut album a couple of days ago. Reviews of the album have been very good so far. Little ghost was the first single released from the album and it's deadly. It's up on itunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

New EL VY Album which is a good listen and also the new Mercury Rev which is a decent return to form. Can't wait for the gig in the Button Factory later in the month..

Enjoying El Vy a lot.

I think much better than the last National Album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

As expected, Joanna Newsoms Divers is running away with the album of the year title imo.

5 days until I see her perform some of it live too. Cannot wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm slightly past the 30 days of the thread title, but the new Kurt Vile album released September 25th is bloody brilliant. Although i'd heard the name before i'd never heard any of his stuff.

This popped up on YouTube and i loved it straight away. I bought the album on the back of it and i was not disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'm slightly past the 30 days of the thread title, but the new Kurt Vile album released September 25th is bloody brilliant. Although i'd heard the name before i'd never heard any of his stuff.

This popped up on YouTube and i loved it straight away. I bought the album on the back of it and i was not disappointed.

Work your way through his back catalogue. He's fantastic.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    As expected, Joanna Newsoms Divers is running away with the album of the year title imo.

5 days until I see her perform some of it live too. Cannot wait.

It might have... then my other favourite musical minx released Art Angels. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Oh Ms Boucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Dard23

Fantastic album, California and Kill V.Maim are highlights for me.
    What do people think of Brett Dennen? Can't stop listening to Comeback Kid every since I heard it on About A Boy!

• Advertisement

It might have... then my other favourite musical minx released Art Angels. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Oh Ms Boucher.
    I'm enjoying Art Angels far more than Visions (which was a bit meh bar a couple of songs). Some fantastic tunes on it, but I can't get my head around SCREAM.

Dard23 wrote: »
    Fantastic album, California and Kill V.Maim are highlights for me.
    I'm enjoying Art Angels far more than Visions (which was a bit meh bar a couple of songs). Some fantastic tunes on it, but I can't get my head around SCREAM.

Visions was the epitome of "grower". Has actually taken me years to completely enjoy. Still think "Circumambient" is one of the greatest songs of this decade.

So far on the new album "Kill v Maim", "World Princess Part II", "Butterfly" and "Flesh Without Blood" are my standouts.
    "Scream" is poor, but the album is glorious.

One thing I am disappointed with is the Album version of "Realiti". The demo released in March sounds so so so much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I also somehow avoided listening to the new Julia Holter album until this week which appears to be another contender.

One thing I am disappointed with is the Album version of "Realiti". The demo released in March sounds so so so much better.
    Yeah I prefer the demo version as well and I love the video she made for it. The album version is still good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

I've completely dismissed them since album 2 which I thought was rubbish.

"Munich" is still a stonker of a tune 10 years on.

Visions was the epitome of "grower". Has actually taken me years to completely enjoy. Still think "Circumambient" is one of the greatest songs of this decade.

So far on the new album "Kill v Maim", "World Princess Part II", "Butterfly" and "Flesh Without Blood" are my standouts.
    "Scream" is poor, but the album is gloriousr.

No way, I love "SCREAM"! Makes me wonder how I managed without Taiwanese rap in my life before. :pac:

Art Angles is great but my biggest problem with it is that it's a bit top-heavy; nothing else quite stands up to the glorious trio of "California", "SCREAM" and "Flesh Without Blood". Still one of the best albums in a (imo) rather sparse 2015, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭caviardreams

New Daughter record is superb - a bit more bite than the last album, but the lyrics are just as beautiful. Released yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

New Daughter record is superb - a bit more bite than the last album, but the lyrics are just as beautiful. Released yesterday.

Yeah, came here to recommend it. Absolutely loving this album! Think this will get me out till the new PJ Harvey album drops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Judging by this thread and the streaming services I use there is a real lack of genuinely good indie albums out there at the moment, if the best we can do is the likes of the 1975 then times are grim indeed - anyone find any little guitar-based gems out there in recent times

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Some great releases coming out tomorrow.

I'm sure there are plenty more coming out tomorrow also, this is just a selection that I am personally very excited about......

Lot's of listening for one days worth of releases :D

Mogwai - Atomic

mogwai..jpg

Explosions in the Sky - The Wilderness

Explosions-In-The-Sky-The-Wilderness-album-cover-art-500x500.jpg

Moderat - iii

Moderat.jpg

Yeasayer - Amen & Goodbye

Yeasayer_Amen_Packshot_300DPI.jpg

Andrew Bird - Are You Serious

04A83FD3-EEBC-46DC-BC88-42EB2AF80A48.png?itok=SYhhmJgu

Hammock - Everything and Nothing

51274-everything-and-nothing.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Last Shadow Puppets new album is out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Just listening to the Yeasayer Amen & Goodbye Album its pretty damn good on first listen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,366 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

donfers wrote: »
    Judging by this thread and the streaming services I use there is a real lack of genuinely good indie albums out there at the moment, if the best we can do is the likes of the 1975 then times are grim indeed - anyone find any little guitar-based gems out there in recent times

Ah sure, blame the radio.

Check out DIIV, second album came out last month.

'Atomic' by Mogwai is really good.

Yep, really enjoying Atomic myself, such a dark sounding but beautiful record. I must check out the documentary also.

Listening to a good bit of Moderat this morning, really liked the first track released 'Reminder', so hopefully this will be a grower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Took a few listens but really liking Post Pop Depression now

Just listening to the Yeasayer Amen & Goodbye Album its pretty damn good on first listen

Me too. I put it on yesterday while i was working and was pretty impressed. Not quite enough to go and buy it...

Have to say I'm really enjoying the new Hammock release, it's a bit more restrained than previous releases and all the better for it. It could be my favourite release of theirs....

A couple more coming out tomorrow that have piqued my interest.

First up is M83 - 'Junk'

Big fan of M83, have really enjoyed most of his releases, 'Hurry Up, We're Dreaming' was a fantastic album, with some brilliant singles.....but from the three tracks that I have heard from the upcoming release, it certainly doesn't fill me with confidence. I thought 'Do it, Try it' was absolute drivel, while 'Go!' wasn't much better.

I'll give it time to sell itself to me, but really have muted expectations for this one. Also, one of the worst album covers I've seen in a long time!

m83_junk_3600x3600.0.jpg

Next up is Tim Hecker - 'Love Streams'

Some ambient/experimental/glitch - I only discovered him a few years ago when 'Virgins' was released. Took me a while to get into but thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to giving this a listen.

TIm%20Hecker_DIGITAL%20.jpg

Last up for me is Deftones - 'Gore'

It's funny when you haven't listened to a band in years and go back and discover, that their releases are actually pretty damn good! I hadn't listened to them since my teenage years but gave 'Koi No Yokan' a listen a couple of years back, and was very impressed how the bands sound had progressed.

I've listened to the first 3 tracks that have been released and apart from 'Prayers/Triangles' I have been suitably impressed.

UVE8d0daCCEAN41Pdd4EXf92.jpg

Anyone have anything on their radar for tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Albumwise not much I know of ,the best albums are not anticipated,they spring from nowhere but gigwise and new Irish music wise wolff/Fangclub and Otherkin in whelans could well be epic.

Albumwise not much I know of ,the best albums are not anticipated,they spring from nowhere but gigwise and new Irish music wise wolff/Fangclub and Otherkin in whelans could well be epic.

I've tickets to This Is The Kit Upstairs@ Whelans so that's that!

Some great releases coming out tomorrow.

I'm sure there are plenty more coming out tomorrow also, this is just a selection that I am personally very excited about......

Lot's of listening for one days worth of releases :D

Mogwai - Atomic

Explosions in the Sky - The Wilderness

Yeasayer - Amen & Goodbye

Hammock - Everything and Nothing

Mogwai was interesting.

I was a bit disappointed in Explosions.

Some good songs from Yaesayer. I liked I am Chemistry.

I've enjoyed Hammock too. Clarity is...nice.

There's a new We Are Augustines album due soon. I'd love to know exactly when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

New All Saints album!!!! :pac:

Seriously though, Lumineers and Eliza & The Bear are two decent indie folk bands, will listen to theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I was listening to Junk yesterday. I really like it, but it's nothing like their old stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,047 ✭✭✭✭Basq

New Frightened Rabbit!!

ShaneU wrote: »
    New All Saints album!!!! :pac:

Seriously though, Lumineers and Eliza & The Bear are two decent indie folk bands, will listen to theirs.

Indie folk *shudders

To me that's an oxymoron that dredges up nightmarish pre-apocalyptic visions of mumford & sons

Have only gotten around to listening to the new Deftones album so far, but it's a stunning release. I think it sounds very fresh, but still has that distinctive Deftones sound. To me it sounds like they have definitely taken influence from Crosses.

The guitar work is more refined, but still hits hard.

Check out 'Doomed User', 'Hearts/Wires' and 'Phantom Bride' for a taste.

donfers wrote: »
    Indie folk *shudders

To me that's an oxymoron that dredges up nightmarish pre-apocalyptic visions of mumford & sons

And what did you think of the two albums mentioned above? Since you commented on them, I imagine you have formed and opinion after listening to them?

And what did you think of the two albums mentioned above? Since you commented on them, I imagine you have formed and opinion after listening to them?

No, I don't like indie folk, that's all. I'm sure the world of indie folk will not be unduly concerned by my prejudices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement