Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prospects around the country for the transit of Venus on Wednesday morning?

Options
  • 02-06-2012 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Sunrise, on June 6th in Ireland, will see the last transit of Venus across the face of the sun in our lifetimes. The last bit of Venus will leave the Sun's disk at about 05h40

Where would the best places be in this country to be able to see this sunrise, and what are the likelihoods around the country of a clear northwestern horizon?

MTC's forecast at the moment is for "partly cloudy" - which could be almost enough to be able to see it.. though if there are clear patches overhead there may be no visibility of the Sun itself at the horizon..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

It will be cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Are you sure about Northwewstern skies? I thought the Sun rose in the East/Northeast?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Are you sure about Northwewstern skies? I thought the Sun rose in the East/Northeast?

east;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

shedweller wrote: »
    It will be cloudy.

I've a mate called Murphy Law and he says it will be cloudy. ;):D

We should count our blessings it was clear for the last one in 2004. I'll be amazed if we beat the odds and get to view the second of the pair. The first one in 2004 was better for us in Ireland anyway as we got to see the whole transit in the afternoon rather than just catching the end of one as the sun rises just above the horizon.

(Venus Transits follow a cycle of 105 years, 8 Years, 121 years, 8 years, 105 years ....... etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Northeast of course <facepalm> for sunrise this time of the year in this part of the world. sunrise is at ~50 degrees in azimuth

Personally I'm aiming for a northeastern viewing point on either gallow's hill or other hill nearby, if there's any chance of clear weather at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Calibos wrote: »
    I've a mate called Murphy Law and he says it will be cloudy. ;):D

We should count our blessings it was clear for the last one in 2004. I'll be amazed if we beat the odds and get to view the second of the pair. The first one in 2004 was better for us in Ireland anyway as we got to see the whole transit in the afternoon rather than just catching the end of one as the sun rises just above the horizon.

(Venus Transits follow a cycle of 105 years, 8 Years, 121 years, 8 years, 105 years ....... etc etc)

Strange contradiction here: The leaving cert starts on Wednesday so Murphys Law should have wall to wall sunshine and 25 degrees, but due to this crossing it should be overcast and cloudy!

Maybe it will be hot and sunny with a single cloud covering the cun at 5.40?! :P

K_1 wrote: »
    Strange contradiction here: The leaving cert starts on Wednesday so Murphys Law should have wall to wall sunshine and 25 degrees, but due to this crossing it should be overcast and cloudy!

Maybe it will be hot and sunny with a single cloud covering the cun at 5.40?! :P

I think you nailed it. Weather improves dramatically from about 6am Wednesday onwards. Either that or the universe implodes due to the murphyological paradox. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Play movies of Venus transit.

Wow, did I call it right.

No exageration, The sun cleared the cloud on the horizon over the Irish sea 30 seconds after Venus left the Suns disc at 6am.

F....F......S.....!!! :(:(

Fantastic image I found of the planet Venus and an aeroplane with some faint sunspots too . Screenshot from phone so probably large image.

207896.png

• Advertisement

Super image from NASA

657111main_1-SOT_120606_venus_ca_nc_yellow_001_color_full.jpg

Advertisement