Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frist PC build

Options
  • 02-06-2012 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Have guys i have just ordered my first PC build

Maxtor 3.5 inch 500 HD
    EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 550Ti its a 550 not a 450
    AMD FX6100 3.3GHz Six Core CPU
    Asrock N68 -VS3 FX motherboard
    4GB Kingstion 1600 MHZ Ram
    Envizage 735 Miditower PC Case with HD Audio with 500W PSU

All cost the total of 360 euros

Keyboard and mouse i have will be using my CD drive from a old computer and monitor is going to be a TV

The only Problem i don't like is that i am not to sure on the PSU which i will more then likely change in the next few weeks

So will i have any outer problems do you with my build ?
    I will be only using it for playing games on it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Did you get this off eBay? Yeah, the first thing I would change is the PSU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Best place to get a PSU on the cheap but good have about 20 euros to put towards it

Also am i missing anything else because i think i am missing something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Best place to get a PSU on the cheap but good have about 20 euros to put towards it

Also am i missing anything else because i think i am missing something ?

Save up an extra €20 and get this. It's OK but much better than the one you have ATM.

Picked up a alapine 500 PSU today for €35 I no i over payed for it but I have it in my hand and will be getting all the outher parts via DHL on tusday

Also for a plug I have a plug from my old dell disktop will that do the job ?

Don't use that PSU, it could actually just blow up your system.
    Can you return it to the shop tomorrow?

• Advertisement

So I need more then 500 W then ?

No, It's just a really poor quality unit. Have a look at the corsair one I posted above, that would be miles better than the Alpine.

Hi guys all computer parts will be here tomorrow and no idea about the HD

Any idea where i can pick up a cheap HD in South Tipp today or tomorrow ?

Hard drive? You listed on in your original build... Anyway, try PC World or Maplins if they're near, or Easons who do external drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

If your not going to listen to Eboggles advice on the PSU then you might as well save some money and return the PSU you bought. The quality would be the same as the one that's coming with the case. But honestly, do you really want to risk it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-lUH_f7U4w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That's probably a fairly old hard drive. Maxtor were absorbed by Seagate quite a number of years ago now. Aside from that Maxtor were never known for their reliability, it's probably quite slow by today's standards. However, this was probably added to keep costs down as hard drives have been very expensive the last 6 months.
    Still, you can always continue on with it as normal for a while and clone everything to a new hard drive if you don't have the money right now. Backup anything important!!!

Ya i went for the maxtor as it was nearly 40 euros cheaper then the next cheapest 500GB i was looking at

ALso the PSU i think i might go ahead and order it and return the the one i got there the outer day i don't think i wont to set my new build on fire LoL and idea on how long it will take to get to me ?

A few days, you could order it from Komplett (€47.95) and choose the pickup at their warehouse option, which means you'll probably get it this week. Says on their website that it takes 2-4 days.

Guys ok got everything into the case all cables but i have no idea how to power it up from boot

EG No idea where the cables from the case go on the mother board

photo.jpg

Thats everything there and does the wiring look ok ?

Also just tell me where the power hows to go i be delighted

So no updates for me on what to do ?

I think the problem is coming from the where you plug in the power cables under the GR card which i can't power up anything

You have the motherboard power cables in? The 4/8 pins and the 20/24 pins.
    Are all the case connectors connected to the motherboard so that the power and reset switches actually work?

Yes and Yes for the pins to the motherboard

And yes for the power switch the cables have all been fitted no idea what is wrong with it

That motherboard has integrated graphics. You could try removing the card to see if it boots without it.

Got my computer back today the problem was that the power botton wires where never placed on the case power botton

Been playing dead island on it getting around 56 FPS with everything maxed out delighted for that

Advertisement