Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premium text fraudsters finally tackled by Comreg

• 02-06-2012 1:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Some of the most frankly loathsome and slimy 'Telecoms' people I have ever met are the Premium Text operators. No scam is too low when it comes to gouging people for money.

And so.....I love it. :D

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0601/text-companies-say-new-rules-will-damage-business.html
    Phone Paid Services Association Ltd, which represents more than 50 providers of premium rates services has brought a legal action aimed at preventing ComReg's New Code of Practice for the industry from coming into force on 5 June.
    ComReg, which regulates the sector, opposes the action brought on behalf of the PPSA and two other Irish registered PRS providers; Modeva Interactive and Zamano Plc.

Modeva and Zamano are scammers...and I can prove it around 6 times over.
    ComReg claims that the new code of practise is required in order to protect consumers and improve confidence in the sector.
    The court heard that ComReg has received thousands of complaints relating to premium rate services from the public and that the sector needs to be regulated.

True, surely that should read 10's or 100's of thousands by now.
    Previously the sector was regulated under a code introduced in 2008, which was similar to codes in other EU States. The new regulation is more severe than what is in operation in other jurisdictions.
    The new code would only apply to Irish-based PRS providers and not to those located in other EC countries.

They wrote their own code in 2008 and the new code applies to everyone especially including themselves.
    ounsel also told the court that due to the costs involved the companies would not be able to upgrade their technology in time to meet the 5 June deadline.

Their entire business model is a scam in other words. :(
    They claim it is unreasonable, disproportionate and is incompatible with EU law prohibiting discrimination on the grounds of nationality.

Some of the worst scammers are in Ireland and they scam Irish people. This is true....and not discriminative in any sense. Funny enough Zamano and Modeva rely on really crap customer service in India ( or thereabouts) to hide their activites and complain (as standard) about Racism against Irish people who complain about being defrauded by them.

High time these scammers were shut down, they make Anglo look like angels!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

here here! i will not text fart to 57117 for a fart app, i kick the wife she does it or the dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

You know the laws are good when companies like these try to challenge them in court

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Does this tackle the "Text win to XXXXX" and win a trip to the Caribbean?

Bloody scams those ads the weekly subscription notification is tiny and well hidden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Broadband related how?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement