Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a car in Brisbane.

Options
  • 02-06-2012 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im flying into Brisbane on Tuesday and im hoping to get a car bought ASAP. I have been looking through gumtree, tradingpost and carsales but im not having too much luck. Ive seen some old posts on here where people had picked up cars for as low as $400 but im not finding much for under $2k. Are there other places I should be looking? Car dealers/auctions?

In terms of looking for a car what should I be looking out for. From reading about it a revs check is a good idea and I should make sure it has rego as that can be an expensive process? Third party insurance is included in rego...is that correct?

What are the best insurance companies to get some extra cover? Plus any other tips etc would be appreciated.

Feel free to PM me with your own experiences or if you have a car for sale yourself...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I got a car for 1200 off gumtree with 2 months rego. I got very lucky, looking for about 3 weeks, its 22years old and can barely make it up the hills of Brisbane but other than that she's a fine machine.

So yeah its very difficult to find cars under 2k with rego included. But you might get lucky. Also keep in mind the aussies rake up some mileage if you're looking at older cars.

Yeah rego is 3rd party and is compulsory as minimum insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

mac123 wrote: »
    Third party insurance is included in rego...is that correct?

Third party medical expenses only. If you cause damage to another vehicle you are liable for it unless you take out seperate third party property damange insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

dont go buying at commador/falcon/magma , all big 6cyl petrol 4L

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭603304529

Mate, get used to the idea of paying close to 2k for a registered car.

Everything here is extraordinarily expensive, and cars and houses are no exception.

We got here last year from Dublin, and still whinge about the price of everything.

Make certain you get a roadworthy certificate (safety certificate) and make sure its valid - ie, it must be less than 60 days old (before you present at a queensland transport office to transfer it to your name), make sure the car hasn't done more than 3000km (or some figure like that - check the cert).

And like someone else said, get UTP (unlimited third party) as well as your CTP. The CTP is included in your rego (tax), and the UTP will cost say 300 on average. It covers you if you hit other property. CTP only covers damage to a person.

The reason its important to get the cert is because everything is so dear to fix - like if it needs tyres (130 each say), suspension and brake work, CV joints or whatever, seat belts, blah blah, it'll cost a bomb to fix it.

I bought a cheap Merc last year for 1200 bucks. Cost me 2k in parts (windscreen, suspension, etc etc), and 800 for rego to get it on the road, and now its worth about 2000. And I still need to do work on it... ah, the sweet taste of hindsight.

I'd sell it to you, but its using too much fuel at the moment, and I need to get it looked at this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

oh and if you want to spend some more ,3600 id sell my 2003 1.7 Honda civic manual , i bought it 10 months ago from a work mate who was stuck for money at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Thanks for the replies...@Joe I dont think I can go as high as 3600, thanks for the offer though!

In terms of third party insurance...what company would you recommend?

Also is it a better idea to buy from a dealer? Alot of the ads on trading post seem to be from dealers! Would that usually include a warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

mac123 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies...@Joe I dont think I can go as high as 3600, thanks for the offer though!

In terms of third party insurance...what company would you recommend?

Also is it a better idea to buy from a dealer? Alot of the ads on trading post seem to be from dealers! Would that usually include a warranty?

All insurance companys would be pretty similiar. I'm with YOUI but wouldn't necessarily recommend them over any of the others. They were quite expensive for renewal but I told them I could get it a lot cheaper elsewhere (which I could, just didn't want to go to the bother of changing) and they dropped my quote significantly. They reduced it something like 300 or 400 dollars, almost half the original quote..

In Victoria and I presume the same else where, dealers are only required by law to give a warranty on cars newer than (I think) 7 years.

Advertisement