Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many can speak Irish in AH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Flann O'Brien was a great writer. As Myles Na gCopaleen, he wrote Irish text using English phonetics, and English text using Irish phonetics.

And wrote a novel as a skit of 'Peig', An Beal Bocht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Ta me ag imirt le me fein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ja, ich kann Irisch ziemlich gut sprechen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Tá caighdeán mhaith agam, ach níl me líofa cosúil le duine éigin ón Ghaeltacht, mar shampla.

Níl ach "Gaeilge scoile" atá agam, ach tá mé in ann caint le daoine gan fadhbanna mhór.

Ach, táim cinnte go bhfuil a lán botúin déanta agam ins an post seo :).

TI;DR: I speak a bit.

You're just showing off now :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

1ZRed wrote: »
    Irish is my first language a bhitch!

A bhitcheach nó a bhitchín :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Tá gaoluinn agamsa.. Sásta í a úsáid am ar bith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Why the hell is it 'fear gorm'?
    Always wanted to know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Nein, aber ich spreche Deutsch.

Did Honours Irish for my leaving Cert about 7 years ago and got a B1 but have lost most, if not all of it, simply from lack of speaking it. I also concentrated more on German since then as it is much more widespread and a more useful language for me. The effort required to learn Irish to fluency just wouldn't be worth it for me, another European language would be much more useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Why the hell is it 'fear gorm'?
    Always wanted to know that.

A black guy. fear dubh is another name for the devil that's why it had to be gorm.

Stupid I know:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's all around us

Uisce beatha, bastarized to whisky
    The Irish has a meaning, water of life
    The English means nothing, just copied a word and changed it around a bit

Irish is so good we set the standard for drinking words :cool:

mikemac1 wrote: »
    It's all around us

Uisce beatha, bastarized to whisky
    The Irish has a meaning, water of life
    The English means nothing, just copied a word and changed it around a bit

Irish is so good we set the standard for drinking words :cool:

No wonder everyone thinks the Irish are such alcos, we have like 10 words for drunk but no word for sober!:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Irish to hons degree level.

Anyone watch Ros na Rún?

Wife beating, intimadation, threats, affairs and all sorts of shenanigans
    It's TV gold!

Was in Eyre Sq one day and looked up to see the actor who plays Tadhg walking towards me
    I instantly glanced down, the man just looks scary and can cut you in two with a look!

My housemate was a girl from Carroroe.
    She said the subtitles leave out most of the insults.
    The most vicious and nasty insult would be tamed down into something mild for the subtitles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

A black guy. fear dubh is another name for the devil that's why it had to be gorm.

It's "fear gorm", because that was the colour of certain traditional African clothing. It's not because "fear dubh" is the word for the devil. Fear Gorm has been the word for Africans for centuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

I could hold my own in a conversation as gaeilige but I'd need practice. Would be the pretty much the same with French. Keep meaning to brush up on them both.

• Advertisement

Enkidu wrote: »

It's "fear gorm", because that was the colour of certain traditional African clothing. It's not because "fear dubh" is the word for the devil. Fear Gorm has been the word for Africans for centuries.

Well that's what my Irish teacher told us and since I went to the Gaeltacht, I'd take her word for it.
    You could be right about the fear gorm thing but fear dubh is another name for devil. Not that anyone even gives a fck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Úsaidim an teanga beagnach gach uile lá mar is múinteoir mé. Ach, níl Gaeilge líofa agam, afach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Well that's what my Irish teacher told us and since I went to the Gaeltacht, I'd take her word for it.
    You could be right about the fear gorm thing but fear dubh is another name for devil. Not that anyone even gives a fck.
    I heard it was because they were always cursing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I have barely any Irish. I've tried to learn more online but all I've found are phrases that give no sense of sentence structure and relatively useless sites that fail at giving a coherent explanation on the most elementary subjects like verb conjugation. Anything that looks complete or useful requires a fee - which makes me ask whether people actually want a revival or are just more interested in profiteering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Fear dubh is a word for the devil, but your teacher is wrong about the etymology of the word. Remember millions speak English natively, but don't necessarily know the real etymology of English words.

First of all "dubh, gorm, glas" although translated as "black, blue, green", don't mean exactly that. For example the colour of an orange in traditional Irish is "buí", "glas" can mean dark grey and "dubh" can mean a type of black and "dearg" can mean blue. I found a really good chart a few months ago on this, should try to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The theory goes the indigo dye used by Tuareg/Moroccan traders. Funny enough they have a bodhran like instrument and in one of their legends they're connected to an island in the north Atlantic.
    First of all "dubh, gorm, glas" although translated as "black, blue, green", don't mean exactly that. For example the colour of an orange in traditional Irish is "buí", "glas" can mean dark grey and "dubh" can mean a type of black and "dearg" can mean blue. I found a really good chart a few months ago on this, should try to find it.
    Interesting. I wonder would there be any similarities with the way ancient Greek colours and their description can seem odd to us? The sea the colour of wine, the sky a bronze colour and black/dark brown hair being described as blue. The last example in particular. Was there a perception in ancient languages that blue and black were interchangeable in some way?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pretty much fluent at this stage! :) I'm halfway through a Masters in the language now after doing it to degree level before. Modding the two Irish forums here and being an administrator on another website give me plenty of time to practice.
    Davidius wrote: »
    Anything that looks complete or useful requires a fee - which makes me ask whether people actually want a revival or are just more interested in profiteering.

I'm always willing to help out, so PM me or visit the forum sometime if you're interested in putting some language resources together.

I'd love to see that, if you can find it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Je ne parle pas Irlandais mais je parle Francais un petit peu.

Enculé.

Bought Turas Teanga years ago, a learning set with Sharon Ní Bheoláin

Cén chaoi a bhfuil tú?
    That was one from Donegal. Or maybe that was Connemara

What are they speaking anyway, we never learned that in Munster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Tá caighdeán mhaith agam, ach níl me líofa cosúil le duine éigin ón Ghaeltacht, mar shampla.

Níl ach "Gaeilge scoile" atá agam, ach tá mé in ann caint le daoine gan fadhbanna mhór.

Ach, táim cinnte go bhfuil a lán botúin déanta agam ins an post seo smile.gif.

Tá mé ábalta cúpla focal a chuir le chéile.

I stopped using Irish over 20 years ago. Even then, I was offered a course in Trinity to do Irish, even though I was good at written Irish, but all of the lectures were spoken. Out loud. As Gaeilge!

I even struggle with English, verbally...

wink.gif

elefant wrote: »
    Nílim iomlán líofa, agus ní bhíonn seans agam mo Ghaeilge a cleachtadh mar cónaím tharr larr anois, ach ceapaim go bfhuil caighdeán réasúnta agam fós.

Peetrik wrote: »
    Went to an all Irish school, so can hold a conversation but it was over 10 years ago so I've forgotten most of it and replaced a large portion of what I remember with other languages I've had a crack at learning since. My brain seems only able to remember 'English' and 'Other'.

To wszystko Sín é

I used to be pretty good at it when I was in school; I got a B1 in higher level. But like a lot of people I just haven't used it since I left school. I can't speak it or write at all really now though I can still read it reasonably well (Suppose when it's put in front of you and you don't have to remember the words or grammar etc. it's a bit easier).
    Tá súil agam go bhfuil mo chuid Gaelainne ag dul i bhfeabhas. Go deimhin, tá sí thar mar a bhí sí dhá bhliain ó shin, ach caithfead a rá ná fuil sí cruinn fós. (Ní mhian liom mo líofacht a mhéadú thar na beartaibh) Léim, mar a déarfá, trí leabhair sa tseachtain mar is breá an cnuasach focal a bhainir as na leabharaibh.
    MetalDog wrote: »
    I could hold my own in a conversation as gaeilige but I'd need practice. Would be the pretty much the same with French. Keep meaning to brush up on them both.
    I have barely any Irish. I've tried to learn more online but all I've found are phrases that give no sense of sentence structure and relatively useless sites that fail at giving a coherent explanation on the most elementary subjects like verb conjugation. Anything that looks complete or useful requires a fee - which makes me ask whether people actually want a revival or are just more interested in profiteering.

Tar isteach go dtí Teach na nGealt, lads. Bheadh lán fáilte romhaibh.
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Bought Turas Teanga years ago, a learning set with Sharon Ní Bheoláin

Cén chaoi a bhfuil tú?
    That was one from Donegal. Or maybe that was Connemara

What are they speaking anyway, we never learned that in Munster

Bíonn siad ag labhairt Gaeilge na hAlban, i ndáiríre! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I don't think there's a clear cut reason as to why it's "fear gorm". I've heard it may be due to the African traders' turbans' blue dye, which stained their foreheads, back in the day :)

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Bíonn siad ag labhairt Gaeilge na hAlban, i ndáiríre! :P

Ní bhíonn :P Tá difríocht mór ann idir Gaidhlig agus Gaeilge Uladh.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Close enough to understand the odd bit here and there when watching BBC Alba, one of the kids was flicking through the channels and ended on BBC Alba and thought that the "Irish" sounded odd.

Close enough to understand the odd bit here and there when watching BBC Alba, one of the kids was flicking through the channels and ended on BBC Alba and thought that the "Irish" sounded odd.

There is still a huge difference between the two. I know many Gaidhlig speakers.. And sure, on the surface - there are many similarities.. but the deeper you go, the more you see how different they are.

There is still a huge difference between the two. I know many Gaidhlig speakers.. And sure, on the surface - there are many similarities.. but the deeper you go, the more you see how different they are.
    It's a completely different language, sure, but MANY of the words are similar, if not the same.

• Advertisement

Gumbi wrote: »
    It's a completely different language, sure, but MANY of the words are similar, if not the same.
    A bit like Spanish and Italian, both have a common root.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭dinjo99

Is as an Ghaeltacht mé agus mar sin tá Gaeilge líofa agam. Is dócha go raibh mé 8 mbliana d'aois sula raibh béarla ceart agam. Níl an Ghaeilge leath chomh láidir sa Ghaeltacht anois.

Although the language isn't as strong as it used to be in the Gaeltacht, there is certainly a much more positive attitude to Gaeilge now generally than there used to be 20 years ago. It is unusual to be met with hostility any more when talking Gaeilge in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dudess wrote: »
    I can hold a basic conversation in it. I wouldn't be able to understand much listening to TG4 or Irish language radio though. I could get the gist reading it. I'm glad I have a bit of it. Silly to forsake it completely IMO - it's an important part of our heritage.

If people have no interest in speaking it themselves, cool, but to dismiss it outright as pointless and to be done away with is uncalled for IMO.

Yours, maybe, but can you honestyly say you're talking for everyone else? I've never been able to identify with it. I mean, I agrew with what you;re saying - it would be ridiculous to abandon it - but you cannot say that everyone feels that it is a part of their individual heritage.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

I wouldn't call it a completely different language by any means. As in, where do you draw the line between two different dialects of the same language and call them two different languages? I read somewhere recently that is was only around the 1840s that the two languages branched away from each other.

Ar aon nós, déarfainn go bhfuil caighdeán réasúnta maith agam féin. Ba cheart go mbeadh tar éis céim a bhaint amach inti. Nílim sásta le mo Ghaeilge labhartha fós áfach. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Yours, maybe, but can you honestyly say you're talking for everyone else? I've never been able to identify with it. I mean, I agrew with what you;re saying - it would be ridiculous to abandon it - but you cannot say that everyone feels that it is a part of their individual heritage.

It's part of Irish heritage whether Irish people like it or not. Some people mighn't see it as important to themselves but it's still part of Irish heritage.

Ach, táim cinnte go bhfuil a lán botúin déanta agam ins an post seo :).

Ná bíodh náire ort :) Tá do chuid Gaeilge níos fearr ná formhór na tíre.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ag goideadh línte ó Yu Ming Is Ainm dom! :D

TG4 have all the best wimmins on Irish TV

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

As a future primary school teacher my Irish is better than most poeple's, it has to be, I can pretty much hold a conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I have fluent Gaeilge, but I'm in 6th year, sure I'll never speak it again. I think that's disgraceful. The few that leave school with fluent Irish will inevitably lose it because it's just not a part of our society at all, there's no scope to use it.

Ag goideadh línte ó Yu Ming Is Ainm dom! :D
    An bhfuilim? :P

Eathrin wrote: »
    I have fluent Gaeilge, but I'm in 6th year, sure I'll never speak it again. I think that's disgraceful. The few that leave school with fluent Irish will inevitably lose it because it's just not a part of our society at all, there's no scope to use it.
    If you don't want to, to don't have to.

Munar mhaith leat, ní gá duit.

If you'd really like to keep it, there's lots you can do, one of which may be joining a society or something in college.

Más mian leat í a choimeád, déan iarracht ballraíocht a bhaint amach i gcliabhán éigin San ollscoil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Not a word of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Ah, ní rabhas ach ag magadh. An chéad uair a chloiseann Gaeilgeoirí na Mumhan Gaeilgeoir Uladh, de gnáth níl tuairim dá laghad acu cad atá á rá acu - tá sé chomh mhaith Gàidhlig a labhairt, in ionad Gaeilge Uladh!

Tá sé mar an gcéanna le rá gur ionann Albanach agus Béarla i mblas Albanach.

Ah, ní rabhas ach ag magadh. An chéad uair a chloiseann Gaeilgeoirí na Mumhan Gaeilgeoir Uladh, de gnáth níl tuairim dá laghad acu cad atá á rá acu - tá sé chomh mhaith Gàidhlig a labhairt, in ionad Gaeilge Uladh!

Is fíor sin, agus is gruama an scéal é. Bíonn an deacracht ag cainteoirí dhúchasacha agus iad ag labhairt leo siúd ar an dtaobh thall den tír :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Cygnus wrote: »
    It's part of Irish heritage whether Irish people like it or not. Some people mighn't see it as important to themselves but it's still part of Irish heritage.

Ah, now saying it's part of Irish heritage and it's part of our/my heritage is a different!

My point is that are plenty of other languages and cultures I relate to MORE than Irish. I know Duddess didn't mean "our" in this way, but it gets a bit annoying when it's impied that something is automatically important and must be universally accepte as so, simply becuase it's "heritage".

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I'll pm you anything you want to know for free. :D
    I'm teaching a few of my mates.
    Verb conjugation is best learnt aurally/orally before the written.

So, (omitting the few exceptions)...
    If you have a long verb in the past tense "Bhailigh sé" it's going to sound long in the present tense "Bail-eeeeen sé" and the future "Bail- oheeeee sé".
    Long verb conjugate: "eeeen" in present, "oheee" in future

Where as if it's short in the past tense "Bhain sé" it's going to sound like "Bain - in sé" in the present tense and "Bain- hee" in the future.
    Short verb conjugate: "in" in the present, "hee" in the future.

Chuir sé = he put... he will put? =

Cuir-hee sé! :D

Just a taster of what I can do. (blows on nails, rubs nails on shoulder)
    Sorry boardies. DO NOT MOCK ME! :D

Ah raight :) Fadhb ar bith mar sin! Tá an ceart agat tho! An chéad uair a bhí mise i mBéal Feirste, ní raibh cliú ar bith cad a bhí ag tarlú!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Tá Gaelige líofa agam. gaoa (gáire amach os ard)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was average at Irish going to school but I don't really remember any of it now. When i was doing the Leaving we had to read about that miserable long dead aul biddy Peig Sayers who decide to write a book whinging about how hard done by she was which kind of put me off the language. Or having to learn boring poems.
    Maybe it's more interesting to learn in school these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement