Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceri Jones - Trout

Options
  • 02-06-2012 3:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/52475/happy-angler-ceri-wonders-if-there-is-a-bigger-trout-on-corrib

Plonker! - Fine, catch a fish and bring it home and cook it. However in this case the fish is inedible due to its size - Solution let it go again! - What actually happened is its going to be mounted in a pub in Connemara - Ego trip or what? Now Im not one of these namby pamby tree hugger types, or one of the unemployed intelligentsia brigade but honestly why kill such a magnificent fish just to get your face in the paper? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

There's plenty more fish in the

....lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Couple of the anglers I know were quite disdainful of his feat, he was apparently trawling with large bait, which is specifically designed to catch the largest fish he could. No skill, no art, just driving around with your rod hanging out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not a Galway city issue -> Fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Couple of the anglers I know were quite disdainful of his feat, he was apparently trawling with large bait, which is specifically designed to catch the largest fish he could. No skill, no art, just driving around with your rod hanging out.

Heheheh....I got arrested for that once:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Heheheh....I got arrested for that once:D

Did they seize your rod?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

yeah if you think there's no skill in trolling. You're wrong. Theres skill in nearly every type of freshwater fishing.

You sound jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

id find it hard to believe that the majority of anglers would return a trout of that size.
    maybe its time for a poll. icon6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

To be fair to ceri he invested a lot of time and petrol in catching them
    Not my cup of tea
    Zzzzzzz

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

He is a freelance photographer with the British angling magazine Trout Fisherman and was visiting Galway as part of a press trip sponsored by Failte Ireland.

Quote taken from the linked article.

The forthcoming write ups will do a huge amount of good for angling tourism. Having it stuffed and displayed locally is also writing a small piece of history - how many of us are not fascinated by stories of big fish from years ago and how many of us will not look in awe at mounted specimens in glass cases. In years to come anglers will come to look at an example of what is in the Corrib and what they might catch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The whole uproar about him taking his fish and giving out about trolling because it's not "skillful" is down to one thing. Jealousy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Most anglers are hypocrites, people who complain about this kind of thing are the same kind of people who have no problem landing and taking home 10 codling.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The whole uproar about him taking his fish SNIP is down to one thing. Jealousy.

Not all of it is down to jealousy. Some people don't like the idea of taking trophies just for the publicity and/or ego boost.

In my opinion a fish like that has done well to survive long enough to get to that size. It deserved to go back alive.

I'm 100% Catch and Release in all my fishing (no accidental deaths so far !:D), so I'm struggling to understand why he had to kill it. A couple of decent photos would look just as good on the wall and still get the publicity.
    Big game fish stocks should be preserved so that all these tourists flooding to the lough will have something decent to catch. And what happens if they all decide that they want their big fish on a pub wall?...

This isn't the first big fish he has in a glass case. IMO, he should stick to stockie bashing on the UK reservoirs.

fiacha wrote: »
    I'm 100% Catch and Release in all my fishing (no accidental deaths so far !:D), so I'm struggling to understand why he had to kill it.

Non drinkers find it hard to understand why people have to go to pubs and drink pints. Different strokes for different folks.

smash wrote: »
    Non drinkers find it hard to understand why people have to go to pubs and drink pints. Different strokes for different folks.

Exactly, saying you'd return it is grand, but bitching about it and comments like "ego trip" or "piss off back to wales" and " he should stick to stockie bashing on the UK reservoirs" reeks of jealously to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Fair play to him i think,the hours he puts in are massive to say the least ,he returns lots of smaller fish between 7 -15 pound on each trip.His a paying guest somewhere i guess and spending some few pound each night and the publicity generated cant be all that bad,so imo if thats what rocks his boat well and good .Also although some will practice catch and release its not full known how many returned fish will survive upon release .thats my tuppence worth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

smash wrote: »
    Most anglers are hypocrites, people who complain about this kind of thing are the same kind of people who have no problem landing and taking home 10 codling.

Daft comment at best, most fishermen I know have their own rules that most probably exceed what is considered a good standard of conservation.

To be fair its the method and the fact he killed it is annoying people
    Btw I don't care either way......
    The whole uproar about him taking his fish and giving out about trolling because it's not "skillful" is down to one thing. Jealousy.

DoneDL wrote: »
    Daft comment at best, most fishermen I know have their own rules that most probably exceed what is considered a good standard of conservation.

It's not daft at all. Look at some of the double standards of the catch reports on SAI.

fisherking wrote: »

If the method in which he caught it annoys you, you're a sad individual.

If you read my post I said I couldn't care less how he caught it or what he did with it
    All I am saying is its not jealousy motivating the comments....
    fisherking wrote: »

If the method in which he caught it annoys you, you're a sad individual.

• Advertisement

If you don't care how he caught it, why make a dig at it in your 2 previous posts?

Anyway, great fish, wonder how long the irish record will last? I know a few people who troll deadbaits and have gotten close to 20lb on a good few occasions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

The first thing ... if you want to see 30 lbers, ..... is to stop killing them when they're 23lbs.

Which part of my 2 posts do you interpret as digs at the guy??

If you don't care how he caught it, why make a dig at it in your 2 previous posts?

Anyway, great fish, wonder how long the irish record will last? I know a few people who troll deadbaits and have gotten close to 20lb on a good few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Gotten trout to just under 18lbs on Lough Derg when out for pike, and they are not just going after a trolled deadbait or trolled pike lure. I have seen very big trout come after the big pike flies as well.

Would not be surprised to see a much bigger trout than what Ceri Jones caught coming out of Lough Derg or Corrib in the next few years.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Gotten trout to just under 18lbs on Lough Derg when out for pike, and they are not just going after a trolled deadbait or trolled pike lure. I have seen very big trout come after the big pike flies as well.

Would not be surprised to see a much bigger trout than what Ceri Jones caught coming out of Lough Derg or Corrib in the next few years.

You will can get a big trout on any bait, but your chances increase massivly when you use something like a dead bait deep. I reckon the irish record will be broken in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Photo: The Irish record trout of 26lbs 2oz caught on Lough Ennell in 1894 still holds for now but only just! This huge Corrib trout which topped the scales at 25.1lbs was recently caught by visiting Czech angler Karel Sourek. It is the largest trout caught in Ireland in over 100 years. The picture was received from Michael Flanagan - source: Tom Kelly of Oughterard which was sent to Kevin Crowley WFFB.

for photo see attached....http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/game/reports2010/may12th.htm

So a similar trout of mark this lads......25lbs 1 oz was caught and

released two years ago.........

Mr Jones fish weighed on the lough was ...wait for it now..25 lbs.2 oz

but when weighed ahshore weighed under 24 lbs......

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

. No skill, no art, just driving around with your rod hanging out.
    bit like Leeson Pk on a friday night

Advertisement