Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Féin-A responsible thread for adults.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

That will be the case for a lot of people, especially if you live and work in the north-east. Feel free to not vote.

How does what happens in the Dail interest the North? We don't control the budget for the north or implement policy in the north apart from cross border agreements.

If you live in the north and are Irish then you are Irish living outside of Ireland (the state governed by the Dail), with as much connection to the Dail as an Irish person living in London. Your politicians sit in Stormont. Why should you get a vote and not all Irish people outside of Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

How does what happens in the Dail interest the North? We don't control the budget for the north or implement policy in the north apart from cross border agreements.

If you live in the north and are Irish then you are Irish living outside of Ireland (the state governed by the Dail), with as much connection to the Dail as an Irish person living in London. Your politicians sit in Stormont. Why should you get a vote and not all Irish people outside of Ireland?

I worked in the republic until a year ago but couldn't vote because I lived the other side of the border. I can't vote for a party who will be in government in the UK so it makes no difference to me what they do.

I worked in the republic until a year ago but couldn't vote because I lived the other side of the border. I can't vote for a party who will be in government in the UK so it makes no difference to me what they do.

Plenty of people work in Ireland (and live here) without being entitled to vote here. I'd imagine the CEO of Pfizer does more business here (and pays in more tax) then you are ever likely to but they don't get a vote.

Describe the criteria you want for people to get a vote. Lets see what criteria you can come up with to try and make it just for NI Irish.

Plenty of people work in Ireland (and live here) without being entitled to vote here. I'd imagine the CEO of Pfizer does more business here (and pays in more tax) then you are ever likely to but they don't get a vote.

Describe the criteria you want for people to get a vote. Lets see what criteria you can come up with to try and make it just for NI Irish.

Anyone living permanently in the island of Ireland would have the right to vote for both the president and in Dáil elections.

Out of interest, does Mary McAleese have the right to vote?

Anyone living permanently in the island of Ireland would have the right to vote for both the president and in Dáil elections.

Out of interest, does Mary McAleese have the right to vote?

But the island of Ireland is two separate countries. What rationale do you have extended voting rights over a political border and then stopping at a geographical border (the coast) rather than the whole of Britain? Or does it just suit you only to include NI. What makes Irish living in Northern Ireland different (or more entitled to a vote here) than Irish living in England or Wales or America?

What makes Irish living in Northern Ireland different (or more entitled to a vote here) than Irish living in England or Wales or America?

Fisheries, transport and tourism decisions made here affect both jurisdictions here but can be made by people in just on jurisdictions. The effect of a road upgrade through county Tyrone is important for the people of Donegal but not for people in Liverpool or California.

Fisheries, transport and tourism decisions made here affect both jurisdictions here but can be made by people in just on jurisdictions. The effect of a road upgrade through county Tyrone is important for the people of Donegal but not for people in Liverpool or California.

Tenuous. Our foreign affairs policy affects lots of people and our corporation tax too and our fisheries policy....

There is a case for allowing anyone with an Irish passport a vote but restricting it to NI (just to boost SF support) which is a reason another poster gave is self serving and hasn't been well argued

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

It only needs to be said again because people refuse to listen:

You can only vote in the jurisdiction in which you live.

Why?

Because you vote for representatives to represent your jurisdiction.

We don't vote for any representatives that are returned to Stormont because Stormont has no jurisdiction here. Nobody in Northern Ireland votes for any representative returned to the Dail, Seanad, or Aras because none of these bodies have any jurisdiction in Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

While I think the passport issue would make for an interesting thread on its own (and if you'd like, I can pull those posts out to start a new one), but in the meantime this thread is supposed to be about whether or not SF could be in government. So let's take a step back from the usual trench warfare and get back on topic, thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement