Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slugs and ants are eating all my flowers!!!!!

Options
  • 02-06-2012 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

I've put those pellets down in my pots as per instructions on containers but the slugs and snails don't seem deterred.
    I also have two ant nests in two pots and the plants in those pots don't seem to be thriving at all.
    Is there any natural solution I can now use to get my pots back to their former slug-free/ant-less glory?! Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I've put those pellets down in my pots as per instructions on containers but the slugs and snails don't seem deterred.
    I also have two ant nests in two pots and the plants in those pots don't seem to be thriving at all.
    Is there any natural solution I can now use to get my pots back to their former slug-free/ant-less glory?! Thanks!

Wrap some "copper tape" around your pots,and you wont have any problems.

Slugs hate copper tape and wont pass over it,;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

paddy147 wrote: »
    Slugs hate copper tape and wont pass over it,;):)

Thank you very much! Off to b&q to get some now.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭magmay

Thank you Paddy147, thats brilliant. I went out this morning & a family or 2 of slugs had a party in a few of the pots with new plants...not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

As well as the copper tape try using vaseline on ceramic ( shiny ) pots. The slugs hate the vaseline as they keep sliding.

Also, to try and trap the ants put a small flower pot filled with hay turned upside down on a stick and put the stick end in the pot with the plants in, check them in the morning and get rid.

Make sure you go out tonight when its dusk, with a flash light and pick off the slugs, you will get loads, they will wait until late to come out and don't throw them over the wall or they will be back in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

My mother has had good success at getting rid of slugs by filling something like the saucer from a plant pot with some beer, and leaving it in or near her flower beds. The slugs seem to love it, they usually climb in and drown, though if you live near a university you may find some students in it as well :pac:.
    Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Nematodes will deal with the snails. Slugs will go for the beer trap, maybe a local pub would let you have slops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

I was told copper is a no no as its poisonous to wildlife when it corrodes? Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

Ha Ha Delta thats good.

I was told copper is a no no as its poisonous to wildlife when it corrodes? Is this true?

The copper tape above is perfectly safe to the enviroment.:)

Copper tape does work,as several tests and horticultural research has shown.

Today at Bloom.Copper tape on the pot to the left of the picture.:)

DSCF0744.jpg

• Advertisement

So the copper was the best defence? Any pellets that are pet and chicken safe?
    Ive herd of a solution called nemaslug

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

So the copper was the best defence? Any pellets that are pet and chicken safe?
    Ive herd of a solution called nemaslug

Nemaslug is a 'biological control' considered safe/ organic..... uses microscopic creatures that 'take out' the slugs, naturally.

I always have and always will swear by copper tape. Never has let me down thus far. :)

But it would be difficult to use the copper tape method on a flower bed ?? Id rather try reduce them since they carry hookworm

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

But it would be difficult to use the copper tape method on a flower bed ?? Id rather try reduce them since they carry hookworm

I guess it depends on the flowerbed. If it has a raised edge around it, just use the copper tape all around it.

It could be that only certain plants in your beds are most affected- I cut the bottom off pots, wrap the tape around the tops of the pots, then sink them into the ground around plants I want to protect.

Works a treat. :)

Sometimes prevention is better than cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Have raised beds and slugs have enjoyed a good feed over last week eating several lettuces clean away.
    Wonder if copper wire around raised beds would work. I have old electric wire that I could take plastic off and fix to top of bed edges.

Advertisement