Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No idea at all

• 02-06-2012 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am seeking for a new ideas from active members of this forum. Since that I am a newbie, I want to engage and participate with you guys. I am interested on motorcycles but I don't have any idea where to start from like collecting gears or what gears do I need to have in order to maintain my motorcycle. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A decent spanner set, ratchet set, a decent screwdriver set and a can of WD40 to start off. You will maybe need some security drives for new bikes. The cleverest thing you could get at this stage is a complete wash and wax set. You learn as much about your bike while on your hands and knees scrubbing and fiddling as you do from riding it, IMO.

The thing about all bikes compared to cars is that they are highly strung and need a pretty regular routine of minor tweaking to keep happy and loved. If you have never done this kind of thing before what you immediately need to think about is making sure your chain is lubed and adjusted correctly. Familiarise yourself with your local garage air pump. Find out the pressures you need. If you want to service your own bike, the very same hand tools will probably cover you. Find out the service intervals and the various odds and ends you need for each service.

Find a biker mate and invite him around for a beer. You will find that bikers will always help out bikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gone_fishing

cantdecide wrote: »
    A decent spanner set, ratchet set, a decent screwdriver set and a can of WD40 to start off. You will maybe need some security drives for new bikes. The cleverest thing you could get at this stage is a complete wash and wax set. You learn as much about your bike while on your hands and knees scrubbing and fiddling as you do from riding it, IMO.

The thing about all bikes compared to cars is that they are highly strung and need a pretty regular routine of minor tweaking to keep happy and loved. If you have never done this kind of thing before what you immediately need to think about is making sure your chain is lubed and adjusted correctly. Familiarise yourself with your local garage air pump. Find out the pressures you need. If you want to service your own bike, the very same hand tools will probably cover you. Find out the service intervals and the various odds and ends you need for each service.

Find a biker mate and invite him around for a beer. You will find that bikers will always help out bikers.

So very true theres nothing a biker mate will want to do more on a friday evening than drink beer and work on bikes, and its the best way to learn the ins and outs of your bike. Also a haynes manual is a great addition to any tool box

Advertisement