Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG forum mods

Options
  • 02-06-2012 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

Examples on this page of the thread in particular.

Its the longest thread there, and definitely the most random. Simply talk about whatever is annoying you in NUIG. Anyways, somebody makes a post about economics, somebody says he likes keynesian, and somebody then goes and claims keynes was an anti-semite, therefore he is wrong.

Now the discussion is actually getting interesting, and then the off-topic warnings are issued, and posts get deleted. Naturally enough, due to that one person (Jerkov) calling people anti-semites, he's insulted. Then a few more posts on the same topic (non-offensive) are made, and posts are deleted.

I ask via PM what was wrong with discussing economics in the NUIG forum (considering we learn it in NUIG and had the discussion going on there in the forum), and am told by KittyeeTrix that there is nothing wrong with discussing economics within the correct thread. I ask that the thread is split so the discussion can continue and have still not received a response.

Due to the heavy-handedness of moderating, with OT posts being deleted rather than topics being split, there has been a bit of a backlash, with a few of us openly complaining about it. These are naturally enough deleted.

The problem is that it is a smaller forum, with a few members who post frequently along with a bunch of people who come in to ask a few questions and so on. But the discussions that can go on can be interesting, and may result in threads going off-topic. Rather than these 'offensive' posts being deleted, at least a bit off effort should be made to preserve these posts in a new thread.

It doesn't help that at least one of the mods didn't even know what 'splitting a thread' actually meant. Instead, the mod just deleted the OT posts (which were fairly good ones regarding repeat exams and their merits) and created a new thread, saying how the previous discussion was interesting, but then the previous discussion no longer exists.

Intentionally or not, the heavy-handedness is having a stifling effect on discussion on the forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Myself and the NUIG mods have already discussed the possibility of creating an Off-Topic Thread which might help with off-topic posts. I'm sure that they will take on board your feedback on board regarding splitting off-topic posts into new threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Examples on this page of the thread in particular.

Its the longest thread there, and definitely the most random. Simply talk about whatever is annoying you in NUIG. Anyways, somebody makes a post about economics, somebody says he likes keynesian, and somebody then goes and claims keynes was an anti-semite, therefore he is wrong.

Now the discussion is actually getting interesting, and then the off-topic warnings are issued, and posts get deleted. Naturally enough, due to that one person (Jerkov) calling people anti-semites, he's insulted. Then a few more posts on the same topic (non-offensive) are made, and posts are deleted.

I ask via PM what was wrong with discussing economics in the NUIG forum (considering we learn it in NUIG and had the discussion going on there in the forum), and am told by KittyeeTrix that there is nothing wrong with discussing economics within the correct thread. I ask that the thread is split so the discussion can continue and have still not received a response.

Due to the heavy-handedness of moderating, with OT posts being deleted rather than topics being split, there has been a bit of a backlash, with a few of us openly complaining about it. These are naturally enough deleted.
    I did not see the relevance of a bitch about some form of economics to NUIG. I believe it is much better discussion to be had in the Economics forum. If the problem was with how the subject was being taught rather than the actual content then I would see how it would have been relevant to the "bitch about NUIG" thread.
    I myself studied Microbiology and there are many policies/techniques I would have issue with but these are not for discussion in the NUIG thread. These would be for the Biology Forum

The problem is that it is a smaller forum, with a few members who post frequently along with a bunch of people who come in to ask a few questions and so on. But the discussions that can go on can be interesting, and may result in threads going off-topic. Rather than these 'offensive' posts being deleted, at least a bit off effort should be made to preserve these posts in a new thread.
    The thread was allowed to go slightly off-topic for a few posts before a gentle reminder to stay on-topic was made on thread. This was blatantly ignored and discussion continued. Moderating decisions were made in line with the charter and again posters have taken issue with this!!!
    There was no attempt to take the conversation elsewhere at all even when it was suggested on thread by myself that this be done.

Actually, there was no attempt to discuss economics at all in any of the deleted posts so there were no actual discussion posts there to split into a new thread
    It doesn't help that at least one of the mods didn't even know what 'splitting a thread' actually meant. Instead, the mod just deleted the OT posts (which were fairly good ones regarding repeat exams and their merits) and created a new thread, saying how the previous discussion was interesting, but then the previous discussion no longer exists.

Intentionally or not, the heavy-handedness is having a stifling effect on discussion on the forum.

I held my hands up during the last accusation that the Mods of NUIG forum were too heavy-handed and agreed that I had gotten it wrong with regards splitting the posts into a new one. I don't appreciate you raising that again in a totally unrelated incident, if I'm being honest!!

The forum has rules which are there to keep order for a reason. THere is only so much a Mod can turn a blind eye to and this is one of them.

I am now going to set up a separate chat type, off-topic thread to facilitate discussion of this type for the future but I would like to end my post here by saying that the posters in NUIG have to take responsibility for their own postings.

The moderation of NUIG forum will continue as it has been as myself and musical.x only respond to the posts which are placed there. If there is no problem with the posts then we wouldn't need to moderate but there seems to be a few who take issue with every single decision made and continually drag threads off-topic (deliberately at times, imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

musical.x wrote: »
    If you don't like the way the forum is run then don't bother posting here.
    Just curious - is this the general consensus amongst the moderators?
    I know the boards are privately owned, and therefore the comparison is moot - but at least the country's government were democratically elected, whatever complaints one might have about how they do things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

and now the grievous sin of the 'inability to not post off-topic' has been committed, getting the thread closed.

Why? We're being treated like children, and its not going to end well. Unless you want that forum to degenerate to an FAQ section, something has to be done.

and now the grievous sin of the 'inability to not post off-topic' has been committed, getting the thread closed.

Why? We're being treated like children, and its not going to end well. Unless you want that forum to degenerate to an FAQ section, something has to be done.

The thread has been closed so as to not incur any further discussion regarding moderation. It has become very apparent that certain posters cannot adhere to this within the forum and to be fair it is the Bank Holiday Weekend and we could all do without the extra moderation that goes along with the continuing off-topic posts!!
    A link has been left to re-direct posters to this very thread.

I don't see how the enforcement of the charter rules is being interpreted as treating posters like children. :confused:
    If there is a problem with posts then they are dealt with. If there isn't a problem, then they are left alone. It's really as simple as that....Nothing at all to do with treating ye like children.

• Advertisement

I did not see the relevance of a bitch about some form of economics to NUIG. I believe it is much better discussion to be had in the Economics forum. If the problem was with how the subject was being taught rather than the actual content then I would see how it would have been relevant to the "bitch about NUIG" thread.
    I myself studied Microbiology and there are many policies/techniques I would have issue with but these are not for discussion in the NUIG thread. These would be for the Biology Forum

Well what's wrong with bringing it up in the NUIG forum? Who knows, it could be interesting to those who never go to the biology forums, create a bigger discussion amongst people in the same college as ourselves who do different courses.
    The thread was allowed to go slightly off-topic for a few posts before a gentle reminder to stay on-topic was made on thread. This was blatantly ignored and discussion continued.
    Moderating decisions were made in line with the charter and again posters have taken issue with this!!!
    There was no attempt to take the conversation elsewhere at all even when it was suggested on thread by myself that this be done.

Well, why didn't you[b/] split the topic? I asked you to and never got a response. Port the posts over to some other thread, so that the discussion can continue with previous posts. The discussion goes to where the posts are, not to an empty thread.

Actually, there was no attempt to discuss economics at all in any of the deleted posts so there were no actual discussion posts there to split into a new thread

There wasn't any discussion because you guys shut it down so quickly, issuing warnings and deleting posts, that there wasn't any time for it to develop. After a handful of posts and you guys rolled in and started slapping people down for 'posting off topic'.
    I held my hands up during the last accusation that the Mods of NUIG forum were too heavy-handed and agreed that I had gotten it wrong with regards splitting the posts into a new one. I don't appreciate you raising that again in a totally unrelated incident, if I'm being honest!!

I was trying to demonstrate a pattern of heavy-handedness. I didn't want to name anyone.
    The forum has rules which are there to keep order for a reason. THere is only so much a Mod can turn a blind eye to and this is one of them.

And I respect that, but there has to be leeway.
    I am now going to set up a separate chat type, off-topic thread to facilitate discussion of this type for the future

Good, that's a great idea.
    The moderation of NUIG forum will continue as it has been as myself and musical.x only respond to the posts which are placed there. If there is no problem with the posts then we wouldn't need to moderate but there seems to be a few who take issue with every single decision made and continually drag threads off-topic (deliberately at times, imo)

Honestly, I think its because you are going about doing things the wrong way.

Well what's wrong with bringing it up in the NUIG forum? Who knows, it could be interesting to those who never go to the biology forums, create a bigger discussion amongst people in the same college as ourselves who do different courses.
    Discussion of topics in a thread which are not related to the thread would serve to make the forums totally messy.
    There would be no way of knowing what was contained in a particular thread or how to go about finding any information one may be looking for if topics could be addressed everywhere and anywhere.

Well, why didn't you[b/] split the topic? I asked you to and never got a response. Port the posts over to some other thread, so that the discussion can continue with previous posts. The discussion goes to where the posts are, not to an empty thread.
    I was posting from my moblie for the past week and should have made this clear to you when you PM'd me so apologies:(
    I wasn't in a position to port over the posts into a split thread and for what it's worth I didn't split them into a separate thread as I still don't believe that the discussion of theories of Economics is relevant to the NUIG forum.
    However, I should have as I'm saying PM'd this to you to avoid any confusion.

There wasn't any discussion because you guys shut it down so quickly, issuing warnings and deleting posts, that there wasn't any time for it to develop. After a handful of posts and you guys rolled in and started slapping people down for 'posting off topic'.

It was not allowed to develop as it was not relevant to NUIG in my opinion. It was allowed time to fizzle out naturally but as usual in the NUIG after a gentle reminder to post on-topic the "heavy-handed" moderation accusations began in ernest again leading us once again to the helpdesk!

I was trying to demonstrate a pattern of heavy-handedness. I didn't want to name anyone.
    That wasn't an example of "heavy handedness" but rather an example of a mistake which was totally owned up to in the previous helpdesk.

And I respect that, but there has to be leeway.
    I have tried my damndest to facilitate posters and have definitely taken on board G'em's many suggestions following the last Helpdesk thread.

I isuue non-boldened gentle directions on thread along with an individual PM to the poster in question. If these are ignored I will then issue a more strongly worded boldened warning on thread before taking an action. If a poster continues to ignore this then I'm left with no choice but to act. As such, my hands are tied in this respect. As I've previously said there is only so much as a Mod you can ignore!
    Good, that's a great idea

Than you:)

Honestly, I think its because you are going about doing things the wrong way.

What exactly is the problem in your opinion? If I'm aware of it, then I can look and see if it can be improved assuming there is basis for your discontent.

I cannot commit to keeping off-topic posts in threads which are unsuitable but like the idea of the off-topic thread these concerns can be addressed and solutions worked out:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I think the question the mods really need to ask themselves is WHY SO SRS

It's a thread called "Bitch about NUIG". Who really gives a toss if it digresses a bit? It's not like anyone is going to get wound up because some people are talking about economics in a large thread intended for tongue in cheek giving out. Let's be honest, the mods don't care that it swerved off topic a bit, they just wanted an excuse to use their 'authority' and make another nice big post in bold. Stop being a fanny and find more important things to do with your time than piss about with the vBulletin moderator options. Nobody is impressed.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Fionn MacCool, moderating a forum is difficult enough without having to endure rubbish like that in Help Desk. I hope you have a few more manners when your ban expires in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

As another relatively frequent user of the NUIG forum, I sympathise with what Raging Ninja is saying 100%, I'm on the same page with regards how I think the direction of the forum should go; but I also sympathise with where our Moderators, or at least one of them is coming from, I can see they're only doing the job they've volunteered to do based on the guidelines which have already been set, and I don't think they can be blamed for their actions in terms of following those rules.

But I, and the regulars (or those of whom have spoken out, at least) do have a valid point in my opinion concerning the lenience, or lack there of, to which it is moderated. To say the the thread would descend into a mess if it wasn't moderated in such a way, I believe is complete nonsense. I am of the opinion that all threads are bound to lead to off-topic discussions eventually, especially if the thread in question is as long as the "Bitch About..." thread in the NUIG forum. I think in such situations, especially in terms of the recent economics discussion, the discussion should be left to play out, as it can be a very interesting and somewhat educational conversation among the users, and when it is believed the topic has run its course, the mod should then step in and run it back on-topic. It was hardly given the chance to go that far, attempting to drag it into a different forum, even a different thread I think, kills that discussion. That is the fast track to, as Raging Ninja would put it, turning the forum into a FAQ section.

I also applaud the principal of an Off-Topic thread, and I'm glad to see that one has been started, I believe all forums should have one, but I am of the opinion as well that it is difficult to carry over a discussion from one thread to another, especially considering most discussions arise spontaneously, yet somewhat related to its thread of origin, I for one would find that hard to overcome, although I do welcome and support attempts for such a thing in the form of the Off-Topic thread.

I would like for Ficheall's question to be addressed as well, because I frankly find that quote laughable.

• Advertisement

Nailz wrote: »
    As another relatively frequent user of the NUIG forum, I sympathise with what Raging Ninja is saying 100%, I'm on the same page with regards how I think the direction of the forum should go; but I also sympathise with where our Moderators, or at least one of them is coming from, I can see they're only doing the job they've volunteered to do based on the guidelines which have already been set, and I don't think they can be blamed for their actions in terms of following those rules.
    I have no problem at all implementing the rules as they are set out in the NUIG charter and for the most part the several other posters seem to have absolutely no problem following them either. There exists a tiny subset however who seem to be continually unable to comply with these rules. I have discovered already in the short time that I've been moderating that any laxness at all with regards the charter is not necessarily a good thing and can leave a Mod open to all sorts of accusations regarding consistency.
    For that reason I've made my post very clear with regards any moderation decisions I make.

But I, and the regulars (or those of whom have spoken out, at least) do have a valid point in my opinion concerning the lenience, or lack there of, to which it is moderated. To say the the thread would descend into a mess if it wasn't moderated in such a way, I believe is complete nonsense. I am of the opinion that all threads are bound to lead to off-topic discussions eventually, especially if the thread in question is as long as the "Bitch About..." thread in the NUIG forum. I think in such situations, especially in terms of the recent economics discussion, the discussion should be left to play out, as it can be a very interesting and somewhat educational conversation among the users, and when it is believed the topic has run its course, the mod should then step in and run it back on-topic. It was hardly given the chance to go that far, attempting to drag it into a different forum, even a different thread I think, kills that discussion. That is the fast track to, as Raging Ninja would put it, turning the forum into a FAQ section.

I can understand your concerns with regards the stifling of off-topic discussion and so hopefully now the provision of a off-topic thread will prevent this.
    I do think it is necessary however to not allow a thread just roll on once it has gone very much off-topic. Where does it end? It could very well meander from one off-topic point to another.
    My point being that if threads were allowed to just meander on without any type of charter control then the title of a thread would not necessarily contain relevant information. Surely, you must see where I'm coming from????
    The discussion pertaining to economics was gently asked to be discontinued. It was suggested by myself that it could be carried on elsewhere (economics forum) which to my knowledge it wasn't.
    Posters would complain in the past that it takes them good time to repost elsewhere but at the same time seem to have plenty of time to write posts concerning the moderation :confused:
    I also applaud the principal of an Off-Topic thread, and I'm glad to see that one has been started, I believe all forums should have one, but I am of the opinion as well that it is difficult to carry over a discussion from one thread to another, especially considering most discussions arise spontaneously, yet somewhat related to its thread of origin, I for one would find that hard to overcome, although I do welcome and support attempts for such a thing in the form of the Off-Topic thread.

Seriously, how difficult can it be to continue a discussion in another thread? I personally think it is much more difficult to negotiate a thread on a particular topic which is cluttered with all sorts of off-topic posts..
    I would like for Ficheall's question to be addressed as well, because I frankly find that quote laughable.

I can totally see where musical.x was coming from when she posted her response. It was a joke the amount of continued posting that went on from a small minority when she had expressly asked for it to be discontinued. It again goes totally against the charter to completely ignore a mod instruction repeatedly on-thread and quite frankly I'm surprised there were no bans handed out.
    I fear if I had been online that I would not have been quite as lenient as she was!!

Moderating is not an easy gig as I have definitely discovered but I am now confident in what I am doing and so I will leave it with the CMods/helpdesk mods and again take on board any direction they may feel is appropriate.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

As another regular on the NUIG forum I'd like to add my disappointment and frustration that the forum is recently having the life moderated out of it.

You'll see some clear rule-breaking on threads recently after warnings but this is just from the frustration of posters knowing that yet another discussion is being muted.

Agreed completely with Raging_Ninja on the FAQ comment. If someone starts a thread it seems responses must be a specific answer to the question or they're getting posts deleted and/or thread closed. No discussion allowed!!

Here's a few examples (which I have brought up with KittyeeTrix already by PM)...

Example 1: "Repeating 4th year science"
    Part of the OP was "Like my results won't just be capped at something like 40% even if I get say 70%?? (I know they do this for some repeat exams which I think is abit mean but anyway)"
    I post "Completely agree on capping all repeats at 40% too.
    I think deferrals should only be granted in exceptional circumstances anyway (good medical reasons) and should be able to get full marks
    "... post gets DELETED.
    IMO this line of discussion isn't off topic, especially since the OP stated their own view on it in the first post.

Example 2: "Titrations"
    The OP asks for help with Titrations.
    KittyeeTrix replies with "Open up your chemistry manual, google or get a hold of Leaving Cert Chemistry book assuming you are in 1st year." or to go to the Phys/Chem forum. Kittyee then CLOSED the thread!! Why?!
    This is an NUIG student looking for advice from other NUIG students. Students who have studies Chemistry in NUIG will know what's expected and taught here.

Example 3: "Need help with applied maths question for test tommorow"
    The OP posts a question they're having trouble with.
    RolandIRL posts a reply and the thread is CLOSED. Other posters could have expanded on that answer or explained it better, or the OP could have responded with follow up discussions.
    When I asked KittyeeTrix by PM why it was closed I'm told "Roland is a very able mathematician and so I closed the thread. The last thing I felt someone needs is a variety of people giving several different answers to a Question (especially right before an exam)and muddling their head" :eek:
    We need to limit information here in case we muddle our heads?? Alternative approaches can be a very good thing, as my Maths teacher always taught us "Question assumptions and generate alternatives". It'd rather the mods don't decide when we've had enough knowledge on any topic! :mad:

There is of course also the farse of the NUIG SU elections thread, where people had to post on a different thread to disclose their interests before discussing the elections. Anyone who didn't or missed the mod comment to do so: BANNED. Sure how do you know if declared interests or affiliations are true....? Pointless.

Anyway the moderation in NUIG just isn't working out. The mod has clashed with most regular contributors to the forum by this stage. NUIG should be a discussion forum, not a Q&A site.

Also, while an "off-topic" thread is a good idea... with the current moderation I can see a lot of on-topic comments being thrown in there instead of allowing natural discussions on a topic developing in a thread.

J o e wrote: »
    Anyway the moderation in NUIG just isn't working out. The mod has clashed with most regular contributors to the forum by this stage. NUIG should be a discussion forum, not a Q&A site.

There does seem to be some confusion as to the purpose of the NUIG forum. eg.
    the point of the forum is to help people. If you do not want to help then do not reply to a post.Simple.
    Perhaps if this were addressed, it might help?

J o e wrote: »
    As another regular on the NUIG forum I'd like to add my disappointment and frustration that the forum is recently having the life moderated out of it.

You'll see some clear rule-breaking on threads recently after warnings but this is just from the frustration of posters knowing that yet another discussion is being muted.

Agreed completely with Raging_Ninja on the FAQ comment. If someone starts a thread it seems responses must be a specific answer to the question or they're getting posts deleted and/or thread closed. No discussion allowed!!

Here's a few examples (which I have brought up with KittyeeTrix already by PM)...
    Example 1: "Repeating 4th year science"
    Part of the OP was "Like my results won't just be capped at something like 40% even if I get say 70%?? (I know they do this for some repeat exams which I think is abit mean but anyway)"
    I post "Completely agree on capping all repeats at 40% too.
    I think deferrals should only be granted in exceptional circumstances anyway (good medical reasons) and should be able to get full marks"... post gets DELETED.
    IMO this line of discussion isn't off topic, especially since the OP stated their own view on it in the first post.

I responded to you if I recall correctly that the OP was not looking for the opinions of other posters with regards to the capping of results.
    They were looking for an answer as to whether their results would be capped.
    It was an informational type thread as opposed to a discussion type one.
    The thread however did throw up good discussion points which I suggested could be carried on in a different thread. Quite often a poster will subscribe to a thread and receive email notifications. It would be very annoying to continually be getting notifications for the thread which was full of opinions and not actually any answers to the question posed by the OP.
    Again, the suggestion of opening a discussion thread was offered but not taken up so I opened one myself which did actually draw quite a bit of discussion....
    Example 2: "Titrations"
    The OP asks for help with Titrations.
    KittyeeTrix replies with "Open up your chemistry manual, google or get a hold of Leaving Cert Chemistry book assuming you are in 1st year." or to go to the Phys/Chem forum. Kittyee then CLOSED the thread!! Why?!
    This is an NUIG student looking for advice from other NUIG students. Students who have studies Chemistry in NUIG will know what's expected and taught here.
    I made a decision based on my own experience of doing titrations in 1st science in NUIG and thought that this poster would be better served actually asking for some point directed help in the phys/chem forum.
    You disagreed:confused:
    Example 3: "Need help with applied maths question for test tommorow"
    The OP posts a question they're having trouble with.
    RolandIRL posts a reply and the thread is CLOSED. Other posters could have expanded on that answer or explained it better, or the OP could have responded with follow up discussions.
    When I asked KittyeeTrix by PM why it was closed I'm told "Roland is a very able mathematician and so I closed the thread. The last thing I felt someone needs is a variety of people giving several different answers to a Question (especially right before an exam)and muddling their head" :eek:
    We need to limit information here in case we muddle our heads?? Alternative approaches can be a very good thing, as my Maths teacher always taught us "Question assumptions and generate alternatives". It'd rather the mods don't decide when we've had enough knowledge on any topic! :mad:
    I closed the thread as I know for a fact that Roland is a capable mathematician and based on years of experience studying I felt it was not in the best interests of the poster to have a variety of different answers the night just before an exam. Again, a personal decision which you found fault with but the OP did not as I didn't receive any PM's from them.
    Roland also offered the poster PM help if further was required!

I'm all for questioning assumptions and generating approaches but there is a time and place for this and unfortunately the night before an exam I felt was not one of them.
    There is of course also the farse of the NUIG SU elections thread, where people had to post on a different thread to disclose their interests before discussing the elections. Anyone who didn't or missed the mod comment to do so: BANNED. Sure how do you know if declared interests or affiliations are true....? Pointless.
    This has already been discussed and explained by CMod Bobblehead Panda in the previous helpdesk thread and the possibility of not entertaining these election threads was even suggested by admin. This will obviously have to be looked at in the future
    Anyway the moderation in NUIG just isn't working out. The mod has clased with most regular contributors to the forum by this stage. NUIG should be a discussion forum, not a Q&A site.
    Some posters seem to have developed a major problem in the NUIG forum with the simplest Mod commands which seem to not be a problem in any other forums. I'm not sure what is behind this but i can assure you that discussion is welcomed but there are some instances where it is not appropriate as I've pointed to over the course of this helpdesk thread.

The recent economics forum is a prime example of blatant disregard for a simple mod decision. The Mod makes a suggestion to continue discussion elsewhere but this is ignored in favour of giving out about the decision.

The same posters keep blatantly flouting the rules and on-thread directions and then complain when any action is taken. It's bordering on the ridiculous at this stage....

Ficheall wrote: »
    There does seem to be some confusion as to the purpose of the NUIG forum. eg.
    Perhaps if this were addressed, it might help?

There is no confusion on the part of myself and musical.x with regards the purpose of the NUIG forum. It is a discussion forum which should be both informative and helpful to posters. This sometimes requires a direct answer and other times requires a discussion in my opinion.

If a poster cannot be helpful when replying to an OP then it is most likely in the interest of the OP that they not post in that instance:)

There is no confusion on the part of myself and musical.x with regards the purpose of the NUIG forum. It is a discussion forum which should be both informative and helpful to posters. This sometimes requires a direct answer and other times requires a discussion in my opinion.

If a poster cannot be helpful when replying to an OP then it is most likely in the interest of the OP that they not post in that instance:)

How can there be discussions if you keep closing threads and deleting what you regard to be 'off topic' posts?

I closed the thread as I know for a fact that Roland is a capable mathematician and based on years of experience studying I felt it was not in the best interests of the poster to have a variety of different answers the night just before an exam. Again, a personal decision which you found fault with but the OP did not as I didn't receive any PM's from them.
    Just because someone does not PM you it does not necessarily mean that they have not found fault with your decision. MannyFagnet could be wise beyond his postcount.
    Or he could have found a better answer among the multiple suggestions here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78407674 .
    Some posters seem to have developed a major problem in the NUIG forum with the simplest Mod commands which seem to not be a problem in any other forums. I'm not sure what is behind this...
    I have my suspicions...

How can there be discussions if you keep closing threads and deleting what you regard to be 'off topic' posts?

I have explained over and over again why some of these threads have been locked.................
    There are only so many times I can repeat the same things. Some threads I feel are best locked at a certain time e.g, the titration one, the maths one for reasons already explained

The on thread bold warnings were not appreciated the last time a helpdesk was inititated. The admin suggestion was to delete or give a gentle warning on thread. These have still managed to enrage a small subset of posters.

Off-topic posting is not allowed in threads as it gets messy and so is reined in. It is not unique to the NUIG forum but certainly the resistance to it seems to be.

I'm going to take a break for the night now as i've spent the most part of a day trying to answer the questions here but to no avail i fear:(

Just because someone does not PM you it does not necessarily mean that they have not found fault with your decision. MannyFagnet could be wise beyond his postcount.
    Or he could have found a better answer among the multiple suggestions here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78407674 .
    Thank you for that Ficheall. I suppose it could be a 50/50 situation but I'll assume he had no problem with it as he didn't feel the need to mention it on thread or in a PM.

I have my suspicions...
    I'm not quite sure what this means:confused:

• Advertisement

Thank you for that Ficheall. I suppose it could be a 50/50 situation but I'll assume he had no problem with it as he didn't feel the need to mention it on thread or in a PM.
    Well, it would have been difficult to mention it on thread, given that you'd locked it, non?

Well, it would have been difficult to mention it on thread, given that you'd locked it, non?

Oh, sorry Ficheall. My bad. I should have said "in another thread" or "started another thread":)

Oh, sorry Ficheall. My bad. I should have said "in another thread" or "started another thread":)
    No worries. But again, had he mentioned the issue in another thread or started another thread, he would, no doubt, have landed himself in the "small subset of posters" who take issue with the forum's moderation...
    It's probably better that he sought assistance elsewhere.

FTR - I've no issue with Roland's response.

It was an informational type thread as opposed to a discussion type one.
    :confused: And who decides which thread is which?
    The thread however did throw up good discussion points which I suggested could be carried on in a different thread. Quite often a poster will subscribe to a thread and receive email notifications. It would be very annoying to continually be getting notifications for the thread which was full of opinions and not actually any answers to the question posed by the OP.
    Again, the suggestion of opening a discussion thread was offered but not taken up so I opened one myself which did actually draw quite a bit of discussion....
    People don't like having to type out their discussion again, especially on something which is being already discussed on a relevant thread.
    I made a decision based on my own experience of doing titrations in 1st science in NUIG and thought that this poster would be better served actually asking for some point directed help in the phys/chem forum.
    You disagreed:confused:
    I don't disagree on directing them to a phys/chem forum, they might indeed be able to find some help over there too.
    I do disagree with you giving that response then closing the thread for anybody else to help out. Some of us who have also done titrations may have given a more helpful response to the OP.

I know your reply to this will be "Sure you could PM them"... We can't keep doing that - this is a forum for open discussions.
    Roland also offered the poster PM help if further was required!
    I don't question Roland's mathematical abilities at all, but how do you know there aren't others here that can give better advice? Other posters you don't know personally.
    I'm all for questioning assumptions and generating approaches but there is a time and place for this and unfortunately the night before an exam I felt was not one of them.
    Should the mods really be deciding when is the correct time to be discussing what?? We're being treated like kids here.
    Some posters seem to have developed a major problem in the NUIG forum with the simplest Mod commands which seem to not be a problem in any other forums. I'm not sure what is behind this but i can assure you that discussion is welcomed but there are some instances where it is not appropriate as I've pointed to over the course of this helpdesk thread.
    The reason people are having issue with "simplest Mod commands" is because of the sustained over-moderation recently. It's a case of "Ahh no, not this again...".
    Oh, sorry Ficheall. My bad. I should have said "in another thread" or "started another thread"smile.gif
    You consider slight deviations from a very linear question + answer messy, but you think starting new threads for variation a good idea?

I'm going to take a break for the night now as i've spent the most part of a day trying to answer the questions here but to no avail i fear:(

Imagine if you came back and your replies were deleted and you were told to start another thread with your points (which have been deleted).... Get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Let me start this by saying that I'm on my phone and will not be at a computer for a couple of days so I cannot respond to specific posts. I do want to respond though.

Looking at the issue of off-topic posts in the bitching thread, I think the mods dealt with the situation well. They gave a couple of options to posters to take the discussion to PM or to a relevant forum. There's no point in saying that they should have split it into its own thread because it wasn't relevant to the NUIG forum. People continued to go against the mod warning so the mods had to take stronger action. Some posters took exception to this and discussed the moderation of the forum on thread. Tbh even if this was allowed it wasn't exactly done in a constructive manner. I'll get back to that in a minute. The posts in the thread in question were off topic. There was no reason to split then into a new thread because they were off topic for the forum. The mods were dealing with a very difficult situation and I think they did well.

In general though I think that there is a problem in the NUIG forum. This is what I think has happened:

The mods were chosen. They probably got off to a bad start because they were a bit heavy handed. People didn't like it so they reeled it in and responded positively to what people had to say. Certain people have continued to question nearly everything they do.

The forum was without a mod for a long time. People got used to this. Now that someone is actually enforcing the charter people don't like it.

I keep an eye on the forum because I have an interest in it. I also get notifications of reported posts. There aren't many. From what I've seen there should be.

I've started and stopped this post a few times because I had to do a few things so it's a bit all over the place.

My point though, is this: Posters need to start taking responsibility for their own behaviour. The mods are open to changing if it is necessary. Some posters don't seem to be. Unless both sides are willing to take responsibility then the forum won't work. If you gave a problem with a mod decision you need to PM the mods. If you don't feel like you are getting anywhere you can PM me. What I will say though is that anyone who questions a mod decision on thread will be getting an infraction. It's disruptive. I will be suggesting that the mods add this to the charter so that everyone is aware.

So, in summary mods are going to split threads to keep things on topic, and the posters are going to stop questioning mods on thread and realise that they are doing their best and are always trying to improve.

The mods are open to changing if it is necessary.
    Are you sure?
    If you don't like the way the forum is run then don't bother posting here. It's as simple as that.

Certain people have continued to question nearly everything they do.
    I would be interested to know who the mods feel these "certain people" and the "small subset" KittyeeTrix refers to are. As far as I can tell, they seem to make up the majority of the regular posters on the forum.
    The forum was without a mod for a long time. People got used to this. Now that someone is actually enforcing the charter people don't like it.
    Was this before brianthebard and RolandIRL? I do not recall there ever not being a mod of the forum [edit: in the time that I've been here]. I'm sure I would have noticed that, as the forum would no doubt have descended into complete chaos within days.

That you are away from your computer is acknowledged. No rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It has been my experience that the moderation on the NUIG forum is frequently heavy-handed and unnecessary. Mods seem to leap at the opportunity to use their powers for the flimsiest of reasons without asking themselves "Is moderator injunction actually necessary at this point?" - the answer would almost invariably be "no" but they lock threads, delete posts and issue OFFICIAL MODERATOR WARNINGS at the drop of a hat regardless.

I wouldn't suggest changing the mods at this point, that would be a little extreme, but I would suggest that the mods, KittyeeTrix in particular, learn to take a few breaths and decide if the discussion would genuinely benefit from their involvement or might things be ok on their own.

A post been reported by multiple people that have valid grievances?
    - Get involved.

Off-topic posts are becoming so bad that the original poster's topic has gotten drowned out?
    - Get involved.

A person posts something that is not strictly on topic but isn't going to ruin the conversation?
    - Leave it alone.

Right now it seems to me that the biggest reason the NUIG forum is struggling is because mods are needlessly choking the life out of it. It's about ensuring an environment where discussion can thrive, not administering your little patch with stasi-like efficiency.

Point of information: Assuming you're referring to the previous Poor moderation in the NUIG forum thread, there was no mention therein of the thread RN is referring to, as it did not open until a month after the previous Helpdesk thread had been closed. Or was there some other, more recent place which I've missed wherein you again held your hands up and agreed you had gotten it wrong since the last Helpdesk thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Just want to throw in my 2 cents here.

It's clear from this thread (and others) that some posters just don't like being moderated. To openly question moderator decisions on-thread has never been allowed in the NUIG forum (or anywhere on Boards) in my time here, yet I've seen time and time again, multiple posters from this thread do it since the current mods were appointed. Frankly I'm surprised they didn't ban people for it, despite multiple warnings on the subject and it being in the charter (iirc I was the one who put it there months ago, if not it was one of the mods before me). There's a reason it's kept to PM and the Helpdesk so that the thread doesn't get derailed and end up a mess.

To say that the "economics" discussion was relevant to NUIG was a stretch. It started out as a bitch on why two vending machines had different prices and developed into quips about anti-Semitism...in what world would any good of come of that, especially when someone began calling people anti-Semitics (i think that post has since been deleted). That wasn't discussion, that was a flame-war waiting to happen, and it did happen to an extent with one or two posters hurling abuse.

Saying that the mods want to "flaunt" their authority, do ye really think they want to put extra work on themselves by dealing with the fallout of bans and infractions? Modding is no easy task, and I don't envy KittyeeTrix or musical.x for doing it, as I know first-hand how challenging it can be.

Regarding the "Titrations" and "Applied Maths exam" threads, homework threads generally go unanswered in the NUIG forum, given that it's not a particularly busy forum compared to the other college fora and are best redirected to the relevant forum, where they usually get answered quicker and better. I offered help to MannyFagnet (the OP for the Applied Maths thread) by way of PM if he wanted it, but given he hasn't been online since he started an identical thread in the Maths forum at the same time, I think it's a non-issue that Kittyee locked that thread. If he had any problems with it, he could have PM'd her to re-open it.

Ficheall, the "mod-free" period Bobblehead is referring to is when brianthebard went AWOL in May last year (here's hoping all's well with him btw) to the point where I was appointed mod in November last year. Brian was listed as mod, but in essence NUIG had no mod for that time.

TL;DR: Some of the posters here think they can challenge mod comments and actions on-thread (which has never been allowed on boards afaik) and get away with it, given that from what I've seen, the mods don't seem to take tough enough action on these posts.
    Rather than point blame at the mods, why not look at your own posting styles and see if they could be improved so that you don't need mod action? They don't do it for the lulz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement