Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths definitions

• 02-06-2012 11:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭

Dies anyone have good definitions for things like 'cluster sampling,stratified sampling and quota' and any other definitions I can't think of or don't know exist

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

The definitions are a mess. There doesn't seem to be a conclusive list anywhere :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Use the Internet! Never mind your book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

You don't need any definitions - you just need to be able to explain what these terms mean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭dovahkiin

You don't need any definitions - you just need to be able to explain what these terms mean.

So, I don't need a definition but also at the same time I do need a definition, is this some sort of mathematical anomaly? Kinda like Scrodinger's cat, but instead of having to open the box to determine a cat being alive or dead we open our results to see if we got the marks or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

You do need a set of definitions if you are to obtain full marks. I find many of the definitions awkward in the book, and just a quick online search can discover easy to remember ones. There is no single, correct definition. If you explain the concept, I'm sure you'll satisfy the examiners requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

Just wondering, do we have to be able to prove the Central Limit Theorm formally or just be able to define it and do questions based on it? :confused: Our teacher only explained it briefly a few weeks ago! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Just wondering, do we have to be able to prove the Central Limit Theorem formally or just be able to define it and do questions based on it? :confused: Our teacher only explained it briefly a few weeks ago! :(

What. Is. That? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

What. Is. That? :eek:
    Sorry didn't mean to alarm you!! I don't think it's very important? It's used in Statistics, I couldn't even explain it properly so I'll let this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNm3M9cqWyc&feature=relmfu

It says here URL]http://www.projectmaths.com/index.php/2012/05/project-maths-statistics-some-clarifications/[/URL that we don't need to know it as a theorm but then other boardsies were saying it was coming up so if anyone has any clue as to whether it's a proper theorm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Just wondering, do we have to be able to prove the Central Limit Theorm formally or just be able to define it and do questions based on it? :confused: Our teacher only explained it briefly a few weeks ago! :(

You don't need to be able to prove it, just to use it and know the significance of it. If you know the formula and what the theorem states you'll be fine.

Advertisement