Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Very Strange Broadband Issues (Eircom)

• 02-06-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Early last week I started getting some strange connection issues. The presenting symptoms are:
    1. My router (Netopia 3347NWG) has started taking much longer to sync with the exchange (used to take 5s, now takes 1min).
    2. The connection will suddenly drop completely. This can be seen for example when downloading a Steam game update: the connection seems to drop periodically every 30 seconds or so.
    3. I'm on Eircom 8Mb NGB Regular. Testing with Speedtest, I occasionally get reasonable speeds (ping 23ms, d/l 2.9Mb/s u/l 0.4Mb/s), occasionally my d/l speed drops to 0.1Mb/s while my u/l speed remains the same (sometimes leaving me with faster u/l than d/l!), and occasionally, Speedtest doesn't even load: "an error occurred while loading Speedtest.net".
    I've tested this via the router's wireless and ethernet connections, from three different computers. I get similar results on each. Other things I've tried with no success include:
    - Turning the router off and on again (the IT crowd solution :P)
    - Disconnecting everything but the router from the phone line
    - Changing the router's phone cable
    - Updating the router's firmware (from 7.6.1r6 to 7.8.0r2)

Finally, here are the router's line stats.
    Downstream	      Upstream
    Attenuation (dB)                 21                      8
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)	3392	                512
    SN Margin (dB)	                6.40	                22.00
    Line Attenuation (dB)	        21.50	                8.50

I'm in the Finglas East area. I've never had a problem like this with Eircom before. I'm hoping one of you guys might have seen something like this before or can guess what the problem is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Just came across your post and have noticed similar problems of recent myself. Same setup as yours.

Havent noticed too many dropped connectiions though they do happen but have noticed dropped speeds and if I restart modem it may take 3 restarts to synch.
    I havent really investigated, put it down perhaps to age of modem, or number of pcs on the modem, but maybe it is an Eircom issue.
    They arent too solid being in administration so not surprised if that is the case. If I learn mode I will post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

wil wrote: »
    Just came across your post and have noticed similar problems of recent myself. Same setup as yours.

Havent noticed too many dropped connectiions though they do happen but have noticed dropped speeds and if I restart modem it may take 3 restarts to synch.
    I havent really investigated, put it down perhaps to age of modem, or number of pcs on the modem, but maybe it is an Eircom issue.
    They arent too solid being in administration so not surprised if that is the case. If I learn mode I will post.

Ok, I'll keep an eye on it too. Are you in the same area of Dublin as me? If I'm still having trouble by Monday I think I'll either call their support or post on the eircom forum here, or maybe test out their support forum. Not sure which is better tbh (if any! :rolleyes:).

Advertisement