Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths HL, too risky?

• 02-06-2012 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I'm pretty awful at maths, I can do things quite well if asked, but in regards to questions where there's a whole paragraph to understand or ones that you have to think about for a good 15 minutes, I'm going to struggle with.
    I barely got a D2 in HL in the mocks, 46%, with studying 2 nights before the exam. I don't necessarily need the points, but it will greatly increase my chances of getting my top course and relieve some of the stress on my other Honours subjects.
    I've been studying alot of maths but when there's so much to learn how to apply, and I dont want to jeopardize my Leaving by getting an E and no points!

Anyone else in this dilemma of wanting the high points but having the notion you're gonna fail? :/
    at least with ordinary I could get a B1 or even an A2 the past papers are so easy...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

I ASSURE you that you will not fail, that much is certain.

The great thing about the project maths is that the marking scheme will be manipulated to bits. If you pass paper 1 no matter how badly you do in paper 2 'they' will make sure you pass so go for it. I'm sure you're smart enough. You gotta believe )))

Good lack Comrade :D

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

If your decent at paper 1 you should be grand. I'm probably gonna do fairly terrible in paper 2, I can never do like any of the trig long question but like Stalin said, the marking scheme has changed and they don't want alot of fails so they'll probably be nice :) I'm hoping anyway :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

There is no assurance that you will not fail! There will always be a failure rate in maths and while 'maybe' and I stress maybe, that rate might be lower this year there is no guarantee.

However if you scraped a d2 in the mocks with only 2 nights study I can assume you are better placed this time? Are you in a pilot school or mainstream? If you aren't in a pilot school then concentrate on paper one and the old course as it is unchanged and there are plenty of practise papers available. Then start the project maths side of it. Remember paper 1 alone is worth 50% so if you are sure of it, then messing up paper two a bit wouldnt be too bad.

And in relation to the marking schemes, whatever you do answer everything on paper 2. Even if you aren't sure it's related or what to do. If they mention tangent and you don't know what to do write the definition of a tangent for example. You cannot get marks on any exam if there's nothing written down.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

There is no assurance that you will not fail! There will always be a failure rate in maths and while 'maybe' and I stress maybe, that rate might be lower this year there is no guarantee.

However if you scraped a d2 in the mocks with only 2 nights study I can assume you are better placed this time? Are you in a pilot school or mainstream? If you aren't in a pilot school then concentrate on paper one and the old course as it is unchanged and there are plenty of practise papers available. Then start the project maths side of it. Remember paper 1 alone is worth 50% so if you are sure of it, then messing up paper two a bit wouldnt be too bad.

And in relation to the marking schemes, whatever you do answer everything on paper 2. Even if you aren't sure it's related or what to do. If they mention tangent and you don't know what to do write the definition of a tangent for example. You cannot get marks on any exam if there's nothing written down.

The failure rates are what scare me to be honest! Yes I've been studying a bit more obviously, but the course is pretty board and I'm unfortunately doing Project maths Paper 1 and Paper 2... pilot school...
    So realisticly.. I don't have much of a chance of passing either! I'm just trying to get some second opinions, I think I'll be kicking myself if the paper is somewhat doable and I end up doing OL, but I have a feeling it's going to be difficult, and there's only 1 Sample paper for the pilot schools

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

Speak to your teacher - they are best positioned to advise you. Nobody on here knows you or what you are capable of. All we have to go on is how you say you did in your mocks. Also, we don't know (maybe you don't either) how indicative the mock was of the real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Chris68 wrote: »
    Speak to your teacher - they are best positioned to advise you. Nobody on here knows you or what you are capable of. All we have to go on is how you say you did in your mocks. Also, we don't know (maybe you don't either) how indicative the mock was of the real thing.

Definitely speak to your teacher, since you are in a pilot school as they are the only ones who will know how you are coping. I would actually reverse the advice above. As you are the third group to sit paper 2, there are at least two official exam papers for this (albeit a slightly different layout) as well as the original sample and some NCCA papers (not very reliable but useful) so in your case I'd be concentrating on paper 2 but still making sure algebra, functions and calculus are solid as realistically there isn't a huge change in those sections from paper 1

Best of luck

Advertisement