Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lazy **** 20k + Olympic Triathlon

Options
  • 02-06-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

Right so here goes.

I'm 24, about 65kg, and not happy with my fitness.

Goals for the year are to do a sprint triathlon within 8 weeks, Olympic (not sure if I will fit this in before the end of this season, and a sub 1:45 20k by next May). Mainly just generally become fitter and give me something to do. Motivation is my biggest problem.

Secondary goal would be to start some weight training to look a bit better.

Swim - used to swim competitively so technique isn't a problem, but haven't been in a pool in 2 years.

Run - I guess I could do a 30minute 5k at a real push, but certainly no more.

Bike - don't own one, and have never cycled in a race.

Issues:
    I smoke and enjoy smoking - hopefully this is the way to give up.

I do very little exercise - 40 minute return trip to work walking briskly each day & a game of indoor football once a week or so.

Diet - not too bad imo but I drink a can of coke per day and eat too much rice, pasta & white bread - need to find a lunchtime solution for work that will leave me not hungry without eating a roll. Don't really eat fast food which is a plus.

Training starts today with my first trip to a gym in a year or so, so I will log here how I get on. More of a fitness assessment and a real look at how I will be in a pool than any real goal to start out with.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Just smoked a cigarette which I hope is my last (this won't be easy) and looked up the location of the gym I joined 5 months ago on Google maps!

So day 1 over, went to the gym and my goggles no longer fit, so didn't do much of a swim. Went up to the gym and did a 7.5k cycle in 15 mins, followed by a 5k run in 35 mins, not great but a start for someone who hasn't exercised properly in a long time.

Will see how the legs are tomorrow and hopefully do another 5k and 10k on the bike (a bit quicker)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

and a sub 1:45 20k by next May).

Thats an unusual distance goal, do you mean a 1/2 marathon. I am off the smokes near 4 years now - I got competitive in triathlons and I would hate to give the improvements back by going on them again. The urge never really goes with them though, I would be worried if I stopped training that I would be back on them again

Good luck with the log

catweazle wrote: »
    Thats an unusual distance goal, do you mean a 1/2 marathon. I am off the smokes near 4 years now - I got competitive in triathlons and I would hate to give the improvements back by going on them again. The urge never really goes with them though, I would be worried if I stopped training that I would be back on them again

Good luck with the log
    No I mean 20k, I'm living away and there are a lot of 20k road races around.

Second day training today, I've had a hectic week in work so only managed a quick trip to the gym, did a 6k run in 36mins, which I'm pretty happy with for the first week.

Still off the smokes too :)

Goals for the next 7 days are - minimum 3 sessions, and get an 8k run in. And of course stay off the smokes.

Might try my first non-treadmill run in a long time too

• Advertisement
Advertisement