Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

household charge in waterford. money well spent!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

think the op ,is slightly gullible the dump park scheme has separate funding, if it had'nt it simply wouldnt have be done...

as for household charge failure they have still only collected 58-63% of it similar to the yes vote in the referendum , leaving well over half a million people standing up to the failed austerity programme being imposed on the lower earners...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I had to be the one to break it to you, but councillors do not receive a pension of any description!!!

Local government costs us €10 billion per year.

That is simply unsustainable. We cannot afford it.

Cut backs please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

I had to be the one to break it to you, but councillors do not receive a pension of any description!!!

They pick up plenty of perks in other ways. It was not so long ago within Waterford County Council that the FG and Lab members who control the council tried to pick up all the different committee positions as was possible between them. Was it Sinn Fein's Brendan Manasfield that got it stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Black Suir wrote: »
    They pick up plenty of perks in other ways. It was not so long ago within Waterford County Council that the FG and Lab members who control the council tried to pick up all the different committee positions as was possible between them. Was it Sinn Fein's Brendan Manasfield that got it stopped.

Fianna fail were decimated in local elections but sinn fein formed a voting pact with fianna fail thereby ensuring that ff members continued to serve on various committees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Fianna fail were decimated in local elections but sinn fein formed a voting pact with fianna fail thereby ensuring that ff members continued to serve on various committees.

Fianna Fail had suffered heavy losses in Co Waterford before the last local elections. Fine Gael and Labour have held power in the COunty since 2004. What they tried to do after the last election was a stunt, Jobs for the boys and all that, just as FF did many years ealier. Problem was some of there members were too thick and thought they would get away with such a move.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

where did the councils get their money before the 100 household charge?this is a stealth tax for the debt the banks,city developers,and politicians got us in..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I thought the council were using the household charge money to do-up the Bilberry travellers' site. You know, to make the site feel more like a household, 'cause the cream crackers paid the household charge and all..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

There using that money to do up a travellers site,dont they get enough off of the council themselves,with free water and free rubbish services(were certainly not getting them) along with the gaffs they provide them with?
    Back in the nineteen seventies i was reading they had a household charge,which included you rubbish and water being done.
    Whats included in the household charge now?Its a pure stealth tax,there saying they are doing something with the money,but the council got payed through our tax system before,let me remind you that this is an addtional tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Really?

http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mhkfojmhey/

The 'retirement scheme' introduced in 1989 gives councillors a great golden handshake when they either retire or fail to be re-elected. Nice work if you can get it!

Advertisement