Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just want to say to all you Leaving Cert students...

• 02-06-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Good luck! If you've made it this far through 14 years of education then you deserve to do yourselves justice and go on to do whatever you want in the future. I really hope all of you get what you want. :)

But, I must say. The Leaving cert isn't everything. You can fail in the LC, and go on to be a doctor. Just takes more time and effort; but it's possible.
    I'm not going to go on a rant about how the LC has a poor way of grading people; but it does lead people to change their mind about their future and that just isn't fair.

What ever you guys decide to do, please don't allow your results to sway you away from your life choices. If you get 600 points and love music, don't do medicine for the sake of it. If you get 200 points and want to be a doctor; you can still do it! (:

Just be positive and have fun. You have your whole life ahead of you and you don't want to spend that time in regret. I love you all and wish the best luck upon you. :')

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Thanks man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

Good luck to you too buddy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭It neny!

please explain how u can still do medicine with less than 400 points? lol:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It neny! wrote: »
    please explain how u can still do medicine with less than 400 points? lol:rolleyes:
    As a mature student, by doing preparatory courses in colleges of further education. Your leaving cert points become irrelevant a few years after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Thank You. :)
    An0n wrote: »
    If you get 200 points and want to be a doctor; you can still do it!

I would have extreme concerns if I found out that my GP only got 200 points in his LC tbh. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I would have extreme concerns if I found out that my GP only got 200 points in his LC tbh. :rolleyes:

Why? The Leaving Cert has nothing to do with intelligence, it tests your memory and ability to work hard.

reznov wrote: »
    Blasphemy. Anyone under 625 should be forced to repeat. A merciless approach will ensure success. Tolerance promotes continuous failure.

It's funny 'cause the system is designed so that only a certain number of students can get 625. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

reznov wrote: »
    Togepi wrote: »
    Why? The Leaving Cert has nothing to do with intelligence, it tests your memory and ability to work hard.

Blasphemy. Anyone under 625 should be forced to repeat. A merciless approach will ensure success. Tolerance promotes continuous failure.

I second that.

Dudess wrote: »
    As a mature student, by doing preparatory courses in colleges of further education. Your leaving cert points become irrelevant a few years after.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: HOW???? WHERE????? HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE? WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

It's funny 'cause the system is designed so that only a certain number of students can get 625. :P

Then if you want to reach the top, you must stranglehold the system and beat it at its own game.

• Advertisement

It neny! wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: HOW???? WHERE????? HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE? WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    It varies. But if a person doesn't study much for the leaving, that doesn't mean they won't completely change by 25 and want to study medicine. There are options there for them. Mature students tend to work harder in college too. Less partying etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Yay for positivity :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nice sentiment to points race BS in less than five posts! A new record?

Best of luck folks. In September, secondary school and lc pressure will seem a distant memory. As it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

A doctor that doesn't work hard and has poor memory to boot? Not likely.

Professional courses in healthcare aren't massive, never-ending intelligence tests. A huge amount of it is memorisation and application with a lot of hard work to boot. The LC has nothing on the amount of memorisation in the likes of medical school.

As nice as your first post may sound, no one will get anywhere in life if they don't work hard. Failing the LC first time around isn't the end of the world. But remember that doing well in the LC is not an insurmountable task. It's very straightforward if you set your mind to it and those aiming to do "difficult" degrees should be able to hack something as straightforward as the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I don't think he was suggesting that doctors don't need to work hard or have good memory, just that the leaving cert isn't the acid test of intelligence some people think it is.

I agree with that 100%, but I stand by my first comment. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Good luck everyone. As the op said not the be all and end all of everything. I failed my leaving cert and I now have a first class degree from an Irish university.

If you want to do medicine, you need to get over a 2.1 in an honours degree in any field. Then sit an exam called the gamsat and depending on how well you do, you can get a place in graduate medicine.

But Id concentrate on getting through your leaving cert first :) Good luck again!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Namlub wrote: »
    I don't think he was suggesting that doctors don't need to work hard or have good memory, just that the leaving cert isn't the acid test of intelligence some people think it is.
    It's not a test of intelligence but moreso a test of your ability to work hard and persevere even in areas outside your comfort zone. In some ways, it helps weeds out the lazy and the quitters. Case in point: Those who say "I'm not good at X, Y and Z" and instead of trying to better themselves resort to complaining about how unfair the LC is.

A doctor that doesn't work hard and has poor memory to boot? Not likely.

Agreed. :) Not likely. I didn't say you can have poor memory and be a doctor. But you can be lazy, or bad at the Leaving Cert, and be a doctor, provided you work hard later on in life. Some people don't work too hard in their teens due to a lack of maturity or motivation - that doesn't mean they can't be hard workers in the future.
    Professional courses in healthcare aren't massive, never-ending intelligence tests. A huge amount of it is memorisation and application with a lot of hard work to boot. The LC has nothing on the amount of memorisation in the likes of medical school.

Fair enough. But as I've mentioned above, people can mature a lot after school.
    As nice as your first post may sound, no one will get anywhere in life if they don't work hard. Failing the LC first time around isn't the end of the world. But remember that doing well in the LC is not an insurmountable task. It's very straightforward if you set your mind to it and those aiming to do "difficult" degrees should be able to hack something as straightforward as the LC.

Very good point in bold.

And yes, the Leaving Cert is grand if you set your mind to it, but lots of people don't. That doesn't mean they can't do medicine at a later stage if they are willing to work.

And @Namlub, if that was me you're referring to, I'm a she. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Im a completely different person to the one who failed the lc so people change. If I have the desire to sit the leaving cert know, i know without a doubt I would work hard and get good grades.

Sure people fail it all the time and repeat it the next year and do really well.

Anyway we shouldnt be talking about failing the leaving cert on a good luck thread in the leaving cert forum a few days before the actual leaving cert. :) Just go in try your best, and take it from there! Good luck and dont forget to turn you phone off!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Human nature changes, and so does ones approach to education which is why people shouldn't readily follow everybody in sitting the LC in sixth year, but maybe wait and mature if thry're incapable for it at their current point in time. It is voluntary after all.

Thank You. :)

Wow, the rolleyes and sneering from teenagers who know it all!

What if s/he was an excellent doctor? After a short time, your leaving cert results become meaningless, honestly.

Well done jd83 - I love hearing about stories like yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Lads, erm, I really think ye're missing the point of the whole medicine thing. While unlikely, it is possible to do. Yes, many people who'd score less than 300 points probably wouldn't be motivated enough. But if you had a person who only knew they had a vague interest in science or something at the time, came from a very poor background and went to a very shítty school and got into a Level 7 course. Whilst in the level 7 course they found they loved human biology and were well able to communicate with people of all walks, they excel in the Level 7 and get offered a Level 8 and do their final year, get a 2:1, then go for graduate-entry medicine, sit GAMSAT successfully and they're in.

While an unlikely set of circumstances, it is possible, and I bet such a theoretical person would make a far better, more mature and rounded doctor than many of the pretentious sort who enter undergraduate medicine every year.

But anyway, somehow I managed myself to get dragged off-topic. Best of luck to everyone sitting the exams, keep a cool head and when things don't go your way, think! Don't panic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭ebbsy

An0n wrote: »
    Good luck! If you've made it this far through 14 years of education then you deserve to do yourselves justice and go on to do whatever you want in the future. I really hope all of you get what you want. :)

But, I must say. The Leaving cert isn't everything. You can fail in the LC, and go on to be a doctor. Just takes more time and effort; but it's possible.
    I'm not going to go on a rant about how the LC has a poor way of grading people; but it does lead people to change their mind about their future and that just isn't fair.

What ever you guys decide to do, please don't allow your results to sway you away from your life choices. If you get 600 points and love music, don't do medicine for the sake of it. If you get 200 points and want to be a doctor; you can still do it! (:

Just be positive and have fun. You have your whole life ahead of you and you don't want to spend that time in regret. I love you all and wish the best luck upon you. :')

I would ignore all the advice above.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

Ye will all be fine in the grander scheme of things. Worrying is probably inevitable but excessive worrying isn't. You'll do good in some exams,not as well as you expected in others, one may go arse ways but it isn't the end of the world. And all this craic about the leaving cert not being a test on intelligence;sure what is intelligence in the first place? They're just tests that examine do you know stuff, if you know the stuff you do well. If that's intelligence then if you do well in the leaving then you are intelligent. Blah blah blah. What's done is done & if you know the stuff you shouldn't be worrying. Simples.

Dudess wrote: »
    Wow, the rolleyes and sneering from teenagers who know it all!

I think there may have been some confusion over my previous post.

When I said:

I was talking specifically about my GP. Last month on a routine check up we started chatting, and the conversation got swayed towards the topic of the Leaving Cert. My GP informed me that he received 400 points in his Leaving Cert.

The reason I would have extreme concerns if I found out my GP got less then 200 points would be because he was dishonest and lied to me, and I would not want to go to a dishonest GP.

Hope I cleared that up. Funny how things people say can be misconstrued isn't it. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

Public education caters for one person;
    Average McAverageson.

If you're academic, the lessons go too slow & you lose interest.
    If you're not so academic, you often get left behind & you lose interest.

My principal told me as much.
    And speaking of doctors who got 200 points...

He dropped out in 5th year. Hated it, could only stand woodwork.
    Went up to Dublin & got a carpenter's apprenticeship. While there, he got an opportunity to do a construction course.
    Long story short, he now has two phD's & a Masters.
    A Principal who never did his Leaving Cert! :D

So... who was saying you can't pursue your goals because a piece of paper told you otherwise??

I'm not a good pupil.
    I do not like learning this way, I much prefer educating myself than following some Department's syllabus.
    And I know a lot of you feel the same :cool:

If I had spent my time learning Mo Ghrá-sa by heart this year, I would not have a new-found love of horticulture & botany.
    I never learned about fitness & nutrition, topics which I love, in ordinary maths.
    There was no standardized test in rock n' roll! :p

Don't get me wrong, though.
    I think maths is invaluable, I think English is a beautiful art, the Irish language makes me proud, learning about our planet's processes in Geography is fascinating, Physics is cool as hell, I love the French language & will be fluent one day, & I'm damn good at woodwork.
    Yet, I'll be extremely surprised if I get more than 320.

I find these subjects interesting, but this is not how I wish to learn about them.

At then end of the day, my friends wont desert me because they did a better comparative than mine. My family wont disown me & force me onto the streets because I got 47% in Irish. I'll go out & do what I love to do, whatever that may be.

I will let nothing stop me from reaching my goals, & neither should you! Especially not a piece of paper.

To finish this rant, I'll say do your best, whatever that may be. Your future awaits, & it wont give a flying f*** what you got in the LC :D

Yes, your life does not depend on the LC but it sure does help if you do good!

Personally, I think everyone is capable of doing a good LC if they put the work in rather than taking the 'YOLO' approach and not doing a tap.

My personal motto:

Do your best and leave the rest!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

Good Luck everyone! hope whatever you get that you end up happy! i'm repeating, didn't get what i wanted last year but honestly it's the best decision i've made! i don't even mind if i do worse than last year because i've grown up and learnt a lot this year :D

Advertisement