Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The NUIG "off-topic" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Tarjh wrote: »
    It really is a useful way of making the powers that be aware of any issues.
    The lecturers aren't keen on the o'clock starts either.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭MadHatterGirl

Anyone here know if it's possible for 1st year students who receive their repeat results next Thursday the 29th to register after? I saw in an email about reg that it's the 20th for repeat students - is that not just the repeat year students? I don't see why if I get my results next week I should have to wait half way into the month to register, what about all the Blackboard stuff or library? I can't get the books yet until my grant so plan on using the library for some of my English modules I would like to do.

I believe I did pass as I was told that due to my result in my history tutorial module (which was 63) I could pass it at 40% if the two repeat exams made the total 120 (which means I'd only need the two to add to 57) And I could even pass History by compensation as I did well enough in my other three subjects :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Ficheall wrote: »
    The lecturers aren't keen on the o'clock starts either.
    Understandable, what are the university hoping to achieve with this change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Anyone here know if it's possible for 1st year students who receive their repeat results next Thursday the 29th to register after? I saw in an email about reg that it's the 20th for repeat students - is that not just the repeat year students? I don't see why if I get my results next week I should have to wait half way into the month to register, what about all the Blackboard stuff or library? I can't get the books yet until my grant so plan on using the library for some of my English modules I would like to do.

I believe I did pass as I was told that due to my result in my history tutorial module (which was 63) I could pass it at 40% if the two repeat exams made the total 120 (which means I'd only need the two to add to 57) And I could even pass History by compensation as I did well enough in my other three subjects :P
    That date was set specifically for people who done repeat exams, repeat year students who didn't sit the second exam sittings can register from yesterday like everyone else who didn't fail a repeat.

The reason why repeat exam students have to wait so far into the month to sort out their registration is because repeats have to be passed though a board meeting and a few other nonsensical systematic procedures that cause the delay. They should seriously do something to fix that system, with proper ISS integration the students should be able to register once the results are put approved and put on the system, but that's the way it is I'm afraid.

I was away on study abroad last semester and my results didn't get passed on to the college until mid-June, which was a day too late for the first Cairnes results board meeting, and now I have to wait until the day the repeat students are allowed to register to register myself. It's very annoying.

Apologies for the double post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Hi!
    I'm thinking of doing Commerce and German in NUIG and I was just wondering what universities do the 3rd years attend on their study year abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

Awkward moment in the toilets down by the physis dept. The sink closest to the wall wasn't working, but the other sink was uncomfortably close to the urinal...and there was someone using it. Even as I was washing my hands, they were definitely in the other guys splash zone...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hotdojumpin

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Hi!
    I'm thinking of doing Commerce and German in NUIG and I was just wondering what universities do the 3rd years attend on their study year abroad?

Just seen this now. I think the universities with the B.Comm with German are: Göttingen, Nürnberg, and Trier. There are also FH available, which are: Bochum, Aachen, and Steyr (Only available to native Germans). There may be more or different options now but these were the places available to us a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

dont want to make a thread for a quick question, what time do the college buildings open in the morning, specifically the concourse? want to do an hour or two study in one of the rooms before my morning exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

dont want to make a thread for a quick question, what time do the college buildings open in the morning, specifically the concourse? want to do an hour or two study in one of the rooms before my morning exam.

IDK but why not try the reading room its open 24 hours a day over the exam period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Lecture rooms available from 8am but imagine you could use them or other rooms earlier than that if you wanted
    http://services.su.nuigalway.ie/site/view/4019/

• Advertisement

HugsiePie wrote: »
    IDK but why not try the reading room its open 24 hours a day over the exam period

I'm scared of the reading room :P
    Lecture rooms available from 8am but imagine you could use them or other rooms earlier than that if you wanted
    http://services.su.nuigalway.ie/site/view/4019/

perfect thanks

I'm scared of the reading room :P

It starts getting empty around 1am and fills up around 6ish but you could still get a spot by 7 if your lucky, just incase you change your mind. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Does anyone know if the Health Unit are still doing repeat contraception prescriptions or is that gone now with the downgrade of services?

Cocolola wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Health Unit are still doing repeat contraception prescriptions or is that gone now with the downgrade of services?

I was must in there a minute ago, they have a poster listed of prices for contraception/ other stuff like that, I wasnt really paying attention to it but Repeat Contraception Prescriptions was definitely listed on the print out. Whether it still applies, IDK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Cocolola wrote: »

I don't know but I really hope so. This is something that people may not be happy (or have the money) going to their doctor at home especially if they are from a small town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Ive never understood that..if you are old enough to be doing it and smart enough to be taking contraception, then your home doctor will have nothing to say! its not like they can go off and discuss it with your mammy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Some of them can refuse to prescribe it though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Thanks, I'm hoping to get a chance to pop in tomorrow before my last exam. I've never had any issues with GPs back home but I know someone who was refused it like CTYIgirl said above, I think because the doc was old fashioned and didn't agree with sex outside of marriage or some other nonsense. I myself just simply can't afford the €40 to go to a normal GP. The contraception I'm on now was first prescribed in college so I don't think I'd be able to get the repeat fee from a different doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Any idea what date results come out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

Any idea what date results come out?
    From June 10th on-wards I think. If I remember correctly it was 10th -16th or 10th -20th.. so could be anytime in that period.

Gatame wrote: »
    From June 10th on-wards I think. If I remember correctly it was 10th -16th or 10th -20th.. so could be anytime in that period.

keep an eye on it here

https://www.mis.nuigalway.ie/regexam/results_personal_schedule.asp?ay=2013&sess=2&assessment_sitting=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Can anybody link me to the personal timetables for repeats.

This is all I'm getting and there's no link to it showing up on my phone.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Can anybody link me to the personal timetables for repeats.

This is all I'm getting and there's no link to it showing up on my phone.

https://www.mis.nuigalway.ie/regexam/time_table_personal_form.asp?ay=2013&sess=3

Enter your details and hopefully that should work :)

HugsiePie wrote: »

Thanks. I had it before, just couldn't find it again.

I see the registration is up for next semester. I totally forget how it works though. When I go to register all I can see is an option for paying the fees but I have renewed my grant, but there doesn't seem to be any option to say that the Grant is paying the 6000 or so, whatever it is. Not sure what to do?

Oops, nevermind, seems it's actually not open til Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Does anyone know of any (outdoor) basketball courts around NUIG/Galway City itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭wmirl

I *think* there's some over on the Westside playing fields near Dunnes but it's been a while since I've been over that side of town, so I don't know if they're still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

There's some in Corrib Village, isn't there? There's also one on Bóthar Úi Fhlathartaigh, near the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

The Tyndall theatre is impossible to find. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Kayleigh.. wrote: »

http://www.nuigalway.ie/campus-map/?id=77&go=1

• Advertisement

Kayleigh.. wrote: »

go in through the double doors the opposite side of the concourse from the bank, keep walking straight and you'll see it a good bit down the hall on your left!

I've a touchy subject I want to bring up with the college doctor, something I'd really only feel comfortable just talking to them directly about and skipping the nurse beforehand if that's possible.

Can you do that? I remember being there before when I was really sick and I think I had to state what was wrong with me at the reception desk first and then go to the nurse, and finally the doctor. I'd really just want to skip to the doctor with this issue tbh.

I've a touchy subject I want to bring up with the college doctor, something I'd really only feel comfortable just talking to them directly about and skipping the nurse beforehand if that's possible.

Can you do that? I remember being there before when I was really sick and I think I had to state what was wrong with me at the reception desk first and then go to the nurse, and finally the doctor. I'd really just want to skip to the doctor with this issue tbh.

You can possibly just request this. Just mention that it's a "touchy subject" and the receptionist should understand. Good luck!

Tell them you're suffering from a fear of nurses.

You could always just tell them it's something else?

I'm envisioning something like this:

_Redzer_: I'd like to see the doctor, please. There's something wrong with my penis.
    Receptionist: Hush! People can hear, you know. Go out and come back in and pretend there's something wrong with your ear or something instead, then you can tell the doctor when you get inside.
    Exeunt _Redzer_
    Enter _Redzer_
    _Redzer_: I'd like to see the doctor, please. There's something wrong with my ear.
    Receptionist: Certainly, sir. What appears to be the problem?
    _Redzer_: It burns when I piss out of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Anyone else find Eduroam dodgy today? I keep getting disconnected, slower than NUIGWiFi too

Mr. G wrote: »
    Anyone else find Eduroam dodgy today? I keep getting disconnected, slower than NUIGWiFi too

Yep, kept getting a "No internet access" error. Just disconnect/reconnect and it's back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

can someone tell me how I pay library fines?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tigergirl

Does anyone know why they put new doors in outside the Kirwan theater on the concourse? Extra pigeon security?

Have to spend the budget somewhere, I suppose. Presumably the doors are less draughty, though it might serve their interests better not to have the radiators on on the concourse during the summer. Or maybe they want to make the corridors that little bit more difficult to navigate.

Are the new doors Joe-proof?

• Advertisement

Joe-proof? :confused::o

Have to spend the budget somewhere, I suppose. Presumably the doors are less draughty, though it might serve their interests better not to have the radiators on on the concourse during the summer. Or maybe they want to make the corridors that little bit more difficult to navigate.

Alas, I fear your reference is lost on the more recent comers to NUIG.

This might jog some memories

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

J o e wrote: »
    Joe-proof? :confused::o

Soz, Joe.

(hug)

Soz, Joe.

(hug)

great what did i do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Hahaha good ole Joe...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

There's a dog on the loose in the library :rolleyes:

We've got a new NUIG Dog! I've missed Foxy.

The dog was in Smokies earlier :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Mr. G wrote: »
    There's a dog on the loose in the library :rolleyes:

****in missed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

What time do PC suites generally stay open on Saturdays/Sundays? Need somewhere to study after the library closes tomorrow, not a big fan of the lecture theaters and I reckon a seat in the RR would be pretty unlikely.

Advertisement