Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NUIG "off-topic" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tigergirl

Some of those times are a bit off. I've been in computer suites before and they closed when they should have been open later and vice versa.

Your safest bet is Block E, stays open until 10pm (It says it's closed on weekends but it's not. I'm in here right now) or the Finnegan suite in Aras Ui Cathail, open until ~6pm. Failing them, the one downstairs of the Concourse, ~6pm again, is usually open but usually full. And last but not least, the downstairs one in the IT Building is always open and always open until late. I remember last year during Christmas exams I didn't get kicked out of there until ~11pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

tigergirl wrote: »
    Some of those times are a bit off. I've been in computer suites before and they closed when they should have been open later and vice versa.

Your safest bet is Block E, stays open until 10pm (It says it's closed on weekends but it's not. I'm in here right now) or the Finnegan suite in Aras Ui Cathail, open until ~6pm. Failing them, the one downstairs of the Concourse, ~6pm again, is usually open but usually full. And last but not least, the downstairs one in the IT Building is always open and always open until late. I remember last year during Christmas exams I didn't get kicked out of there until ~11pm.

You the blonde one? I was there earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

tigergirl wrote: »

32B cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FatherJessop

Ficheall wrote: »
    32B cup?

Are ye the mouth-breathers with the sweaty palms and greasy hair? Go easy on the creeping, ye've probably made someone feel pretty awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Are ye the mouth-breathers with the sweaty palms and greasy hair? Go easy on the creeping, ye've probably made someone feel pretty awkward.

Engineering students?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I dont breathe through my mouth so nope.

Point taken tho

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mademoiselle_r

Hey when do the Christmas exam results come out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭wmirl

Usually the first week in February, but they're only provisional results and sometimes only a letter grade is given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 jacobwrestling

Anyone know if there's a water dispenser/filter or kitchen tap in the psychology bit of the Arts Millennium? I've set up here for the day and don't fancy heading out in that rain every time I want to refill my bottle!

Anyone know what happens if you pass one section of a module but maybe get 30% in another- will one grade bring up the next and equal a pass or do you need to pass both?

I think I did terrible in a certain exam but am doing pretty good in the other part of the module so I'm wondering what'll happen.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Anyone know what happens if you pass one section of a module but maybe get 30% in another- will one grade bring up the next and equal a pass or do you need to pass both?

I think I did terrible in a certain exam but am doing pretty good in the other part of the module so I'm wondering what'll happen.

Depends on the % break down on each part of the module. If the exam that you got 30% in was worth 90% of the overall grade that would be worth 27% on it's own and you would fail (30 * .9).

Some modules require you to pass certain parts so check that out also. Hard to tell really.

Does anyone know what date week 12 is? I'm confused with the easter holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

We do weeks 1 - 11, then a week off, then week 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 J.E. Cairnes

Nailz wrote: »
    A mate of mine in my course who's big into his health & fitness, and is therefore microwaving self-made meals according to his gym diet, always uses the microwaves on the third floor of Cairnes or the second floor in St. Anthony's, so you could use those I guess. They're small staff kitchens as far as I know, so if you want to feel safe you could ask someone based on those floors whether you can use them or not because he's been given out to for using it on one occasion, but generally I don't think anyone gives a shit.

As you correctly state, these facilities (copiers, microwaves, etc.) are for staff use only. Staff do care about the University and maintaining its facilities.

As you correctly state, these facilities (copiers, microwaves, etc.) are for staff use only. Staff do care about the University and maintaining its facilities.

Not all of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    We do weeks 1 - 11, then a week off, then week 12.

I'm seeing this weeks later but are you sure that's true? I was under the impression it was a straight twelve weeks through and my timetable, which varies every week so is done up to the end, agrees with me, with the last Thursday and Friday being part of Easter Vacation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Slow Show wrote: »
    I'm seeing this weeks later but are you sure that's true? I was under the impression it was a straight twelve weeks through and my timetable, which varies every week so is done up to the end, agrees with me, with the last Thursday and Friday being part of Easter Vacation.

You're doing med though, right? The med timetable is different. The rest of us plebs get Holy Week off

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭expatinator

Hello. My outlock account has been blocked. I use it for work and I need it ASAP.

Does anybody know a way to fix this problem?

Preferably by today or early tommorrow? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Have you graduated? The accounts get shut off after a while.

*Blinks*

Wish I knew that.

Anybody got a quick fix until I can get a new email sorted?

*Blinks*

Wish I knew that.

Anybody got a quick fix until I can get a new email sorted?

Get in contact with computer services (or whatever they are calling themselves now ISS/ISIS etc).

You should really get a notification that your account will go inactive. I lost mine, but then got it back when I started a MSc later. Cant remember if it had all the stuff in it still. Probably not.

Get in contact with computer services (or whatever they are calling themselves now ISS/ISIS etc).

You should really get a notification that your account will go inactive. I lost mine, but then got it back when I started a MSc later. Cant remember if it had all the stuff in it still. Probably not.

ISS. Information Solutions and Services :)

Mr. G wrote: »
    ISIS. Information Solutions and IT Services :)

FTFY.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CeilingOrFloor

Hey guys!
    I'm a prospective first year student (2015/16) and I'm looking for help deciding which course to take. I have an interest in both Commerce and Arts and I am finding it difficult deciding which one to put as my first choice. To be honest I don't really know what I'd be interested in career wise - though I'd have somewhat of an interest in hospitality/hotels or pretty much anything people related.
    I wonder if you guys could give me and idea of the hours I'd be looking at in each course, as well as how difficult they are, whether or not they lead anywhere at the end and just generally if they are good degrees.
    If I do arts I'd be thinking of doing English and possibly Classics and History and for Commerce I'd mainly be interested in Public Relations and Human Resources.

Thanks in advance for any answers I do get!

It's sorted. :)

Hmmm, I did Arts. It's not great for an immediate job, but you can get a good course in the conversion course. The essay writing can be a pain and I'd advise you to study how to write an Essay from the get go.

I am very confused about the Easter holidays. One person is telling me one thing,one another. Can anyone confirm the dates for holidays for undergrads (not doing medicine)?

One lecturer thinks we have from friday 27th off and are back on monday 13th, and that that is week 12.Is that correct?

the website says we've only a few days off :S

I am very confused about the Easter holidays. One person is telling me one thing,one another. Can anyone confirm the dates for holidays for undergrads (not doing medicine)?

One lecturer thinks we have from friday 27th off and are back on monday 13th, and that that is week 12.Is that correct?

The website is showing the days that college won't be open. Teaching holidays are from the 27th to the 13th - that's Easter Holidays, but if you want, you can come in, just not for those few days on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

That is correct.
    We have this week, next week, 2 weeks off, 1 week in and 1 week off. Then its exams.

Advertisement