Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loving the under estimation of Ireland's chances

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

darkman2 wrote: »
    I have neither paraphrased anything incorrectly nor misquoted anything either. Next!

Yes you did. Would you like examples or will you back out now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What a pile of **** this thread is. Started and ruined by dark man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

That anyone who remotely believes Ireland has a chance of getting out of the group is not a true Ireland fan and is a "child".
    That is not what he said. You see you are just making shít up and then responding to that instead of following the conversation properly. That's why you are coming across as a raving lunatic.

Very mature that, eh? I am a very proud Ireland supporter. I go to most of the games. I support the team. Who is he to say I am not an Ireland supporter? He comes across as an olé olér - a bandwagoner - "Ireland are ****e", "be realistic" etc......fine. He should stick to that conviction. Instead he comes across as "I think little of them now" but when they do well.....

I always thought Ireland would get out of the qualifying group btw. If i'd said that post the first match away to Armenia i'd have gotten the same attitude from the usual suspects.
    He didn't say that you are not an Ireland supporter.

Believing that Ireland will do well or badly doesn't make somebody a supporter or not. Hoping they do well and cheering them on is what makes them a supporter. You don't have to believe the team will get a result in order to support them. It's not jumping on a bandwagon to say after a good result that you have hoped and cheered for that you are surprised and happy with the result. What the fúck is wrong with you that you are having so much trouble understanding that simple point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Yes you did. Would you like examples or will you back out now?

Go ahead. I have nothing to back out of. I am well aware there is a bit of a gang element in here. It is the soccer forum after all. It's water off a ducks back to me. But go ahead anyway.

Pro. F wrote: »
    That is not what he said. You see you are just making shít up and then responding to that instead of following the conversation properly. That's why you are coming across as a raving lunatic.

He didn't say that you are not an Ireland supporter.

What the fúck is wrong with you that you are having so much trouble understanding that simple point?

That IS what he said. He insulted me for daring to say the team might do well. How else do you read it? Do I have to quote it for you?

And he did imply I was not an Ireland supporter. Do I have to quote that too?

And also you want to patronise someone grow a pair of balls and do it in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

That IS what he said. He insulted me for daring to say the team might do well. How else do you read it? Do I have to quote it for you?

And he did imply I was not an Ireland supporter. Do I have to quote that too?

No that is not what he said. So yes, please quote the bit where he said ''anyone who remotely believes Ireland has a chance of getting out of the group is not a true Ireland fan...''

He said you should question your own support based on your stupid logic. I can guarantee you nobody doubts that you are an Ireland supporter.
    And also you want to patronise someone grow a pair of balls and do it in the real world.
    I'm not patronising you, I'm calling you on your bullshít. I'm honest when talking face to face too.

----
    BTW, you edited my post without marking the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

My predictions fwiw:

Ireland 0-0 Croatia
    Ireland 0-2 Spain
    Ireland 1-0 Italy

Whether that'll be enough to qualify I don't know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

latenia wrote: »
    My predictions fwiw:

Ireland 0-0 Croatia
    Ireland 0-2 Spain
    Ireland 1-0 Italy

Whether that'll be enough to qualify I don't know...

I would take that right now, and see what happens from there.

Although only scoring 1 goal in group would not be great, but realistically I dont think we will score many anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

This thread is fairly pointless. We have clarified that we are the worst team in the group but could cause a shock and it wouldn't be the most shocking turnover of all time if we qualified.

We all hope that we qualify but if every team plays to their ability then we shouldn't, but that mightn't happen and we could sneak out.

Yep that pretty much sums the situation up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

In other news our reserve team are well on the way to a massacring vs Holland now. Not many potential call-ups on show for our WC2014 campaign I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I had to laught listening to the commentary on UTV there.

"If England get through, their opponents will be either Spain, Italy, Ireland or Croatia. Spain are looking good. Italy are having problems.............and the games start next Friday with Russia vs Ukraine..!".

We're definitely not rated by most!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

So you won't be watching Ireland's games then? No point is there if your so sure we will be the losers of the group?

So you only watch your team play if you think they will win? Bandwagonning is massive in this country so fair play for being honest about it I suppose. Most of us will watch our team week in week out no matter how bad we are and then discuss the playing style, management etc after the games.
    Despite having problems with managers or players we will still hope we hammer every team and get proved wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

I genuinely think we can qualify out of this group. Our players will up their game for the tournament, and the confidence factor will be stronger after succeeding qualifying for a tournament for the first time since the World Cup in '02.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I definitely don't see us getting out of the groups. Maybe I'm just being over pessimistic as to not be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

kitakyushu wrote: »
    In other news our reserve team are well on the way to a massacring vs Holland now. Not many potential call-ups on show for our WC2014 campaign I'm afraid.

This is quite a sad post tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

This is quite a sad post tbh

Agreed. I was hoping for a better showing from our reserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Italy are a shambles, Croatia are no world beaters. C'mon Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I reckon 4 points is the max we can get realistically. I think Italy will be OK by the time we play them.

I just hope that the expectation of the fans remains modest enough because we are massive underdogs and I hope people keep things in perspective.

If we lose all three games it doesn't mean Trap needs to go, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

couldnt agree more Cmon YBIG!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

The same Italy who qualified with the best defensive record of any team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

bwatson wrote: »
    The same Italy who qualified with the best defensive record of any team?

The fact that Estonia came second really tells the story of the opposition they faced!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

cgpg5 wrote: »
    The fact that Estonia came second really tells the story of the opposition they faced!

That doesn't tell the whole story though - their group also had in it Slovenia, who reached the World Cup in South Africa, and Serbia, who are no mugs and have some very talented players. Their group wasn't that much weaker than the average for the qualifiers.

Its possible Ireland will beat them of course and there is a good chance they will, but it seems to me that many are saying Ireland are under rated while at the same time are under rating the rest of the group - especially Croatia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

italy have beaten us once since 1990. since then, we have drawn with them 1-1 and 2-2 being the better side in both games and beating them 1-0 and 2-0. they beat us in a friendly 2-1 in 2005 in lansdowne.

id like to think we can beat them.

They shouldn't have even won that game, Clinton Morrison had an injury time equaliser wrongly disallowed.

As has been mentioned Italy are very much there for the taking imo, and nobody will prepare us for them better than Trap.

Croatia, with Billic heading for Moscow after the euros, might not be as good as they should be.Unlikely, but you never know.

We definitely stand a good chance of going through imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

As strange as it sounds I do see where darkman in coming from.

There is a serious amount of negativity around these parts, especially that one comment about "We haven't beaten anyone decent in 10 years".

All I can say is we can only play what's in front of us and under Trap, thats been somewhat our speciality(with the exception of a Paul Green-inspired capitulation in the Aviva). We are desperately hard to beat, yet against weaker sides it appears to be desperate football.

Technically, I'd admit we are one of the poorest sides, but paradoxically this frees us to be so rigid that there is no chance of any team hammering us. In saying this, this is our best ever chance to really progress: Italy are there for the taking(simply for the sake of finally beating them without our colossus Paul McShane as captain) and Spain seem(touch wood) missing a real cutting edge, added to the sheer weight of expectation, with Pedro, Torres, Silva off form, ignoring Xaviesta that is.

Croatia is the real test though, if we get a result there anything is possible. We are not the best side in the group by a long shot but the scintillating prospect of facing France/England in the quarters is huge. In any sport we prosper as underdogs and I think this will be no different.

In saying that, if we do lose all three matches it will not be a disaster considering the sheer quality in our group, Trap is a hero, and should have a town named in his honour:D(preferably in Leitrim or one of those places)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I tell you one thing. The lads will have no fear of anyone, they will give it their all. You think Spain want to be going up against Richard Dunne? You think Croatia will have a hard time trying to get one past Shay Given? I kid you not, the other teams in our group will be watching their backs. There are plenty of other teams they would rather play than us. We may be the most unfancied team in the tournament, but we wont be the worst. We have every chance of getting out of that group.

Yes.

• Advertisement

If the Russians on fire can't get past Dunne then I doubt the Spanish will. Man mountain he is. Best defender in Euro 2012 by a mile. No one else comes close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If the Russians on fire can't get past Dunne then I doubt the Spanish will. Man mountain he is. Best defender in Euro 2012 by a mile. No one else comes close.

A shit post in a shit thread, but at least you're consistent if nothing else.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    A shit post in a shit thread, but at least you're consistent if nothing else.

Better central defender than Richard Dunne in Euro 2012 - name them. Go on. Don't hold back. I think your gonna struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

That's why he's playing for Vanilla then. :D

As always my concern would be Ireland scoring goals in big tournaments.

Few and far between.

That's why he's playing for Vanilla then. :D

As always my concern would be Ireland scoring goals in big tournaments.

Few and far between.

We have 5 pretty good strikers so you never know. Villa went down in the EPL because Dunne was out. He is as critical to them as to us. He is a world class defender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Better central defender than Richard Dunne in Euro 2012 - name them. Go on. Don't hold back. I think your gonna struggle.

Terry
    Cahill
    Lescott
    Chiellini
    Barzagli
    Pique
    Kjaer
    Agger
    Mathijsen
    Pepe
    Hummels
    Mexes

Yep, a massive struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It's funny the one team people are saying we have the best chance against, is the one team I fear most: Croatia. They have quality players, have a good record in the competition, but most of all, see the game (like we do) as a must win.

It will be probably the biggest mountain the Ireland team would ever need to climb to get out of the group. Remember, by the time we face Italy, we will have being more than likely run to the ground to keep up with the other two so we will be jaded, so if we need any more points to get through at that stage, they will be tough to get.

I'm not saying its not impossible, but it is also not impossible for west brom to win the premier league. We will go out in the group but will definitely not give a bad account of ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Think we can beat Croatia, closest to us in the group in terms of quality probably, could have a defensive masterpiece of a game and scrape a win. Italy seem to be in turmoil at the moment and don't really have any great players anymore, that friendly we had against them a while ago has to inspire some confidence too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

lose lose lose in that order.

i can just imagine the Greek/Ukrainian/Belgium darkman saying the same thing about their nation on their boards.ie equivalent. truth is theres nothing special about Ireland and unlike previous Irish teams 8 of our 11 starters are pure muck, 3 of them not even currently playing for a football team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Oranage2 wrote: »

i can just imagine the Greek/Ukrainian/Belgium darkman saying the same thing about their nation on their boards.ie equivalent. truth is theres nothing special about Ireland and unlike previous Irish teams 8 of our 11 starters are pure muck, 3 of them not even currently playing for a football team.

And yet they qualified for the Euro's. The hardest tournament to get into in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

And yet they qualified for the Euro's. The hardest tournament to get into in the world.

how exactly is it the hardest :confused:

by the way im not anti Irish im even going to Poland for a game, all im saying is that this Irish side is not very good and that we don't have a chance of gettin out of the group never mind winning it. hopefully prove wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

by the way im not anti Irish im even going to Poland for a game, all im saying is that this Irish side is not very good and that we don't have a chance of gettin out of the group never mind winning it. hopefully prove wrong.

Well you're clearly wrong there. Of course we have a chance of getting out of the group. Every team in the competition does. And if we didn't have a chance then there would be no possibility of you being proven wrong.

If you're going to call out darkman for being overly positive...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

It's quite simple really - we've got a chance, but we are rightly underdogs in the group.

I can see us getting a point against Croatia, and then losing to Spain.

This could quite likely actually leave us in a position where we know that a win against Italy should put us through.

That's a situation I'd be happy with. Sometimes when a team only needs a draw the mentality can shift even if they're superior. We keep it steady and suddenly we could have a chance to nick it and maybe go through on 4 points.

First match is massive though, if we lose I feel like it's probably tournament over.

Doubtful considering they aren't in it...

Terry
    Cahill
    Lescott
    Chiellini
    Barzagli
    Pique
    Kjaer
    Agger
    Mathijsen
    Pepe
    Hummels
    Mexes

Yep, a massive struggle.

To be fair I'd rather have Richard Dunne playing for my country than many of these. These are all better footballers and probably fit better into superior sides but I think for sheer body on the line and sheer bravery and commitment Dunne is streets ahead of some of these.

Think about it, if you could would you rather have Pique/Mexes/Pepe over Dunne for us? Not in a million years imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Well I really feel for the Belgian when he turns on the tv and realises that Belgium aren't even in the tournament.

Considering our first 11, with the exception of St Ledger, were playing regular premiership football this year, I don't consider them muck. Average? Maybe. But muck....no. Look at the northern Irish team if you want to see muck.

Ireland should be positive regarding their chances. They have made it to a tournament that was won by Denmark and Greece in recent times. The latter playing a style of football quite similar to Ireland with limited players.

Of course we should also be realistic. We're the smallest nation in the competition, we've the most limited squad on paper, but history has shown that average players often up their game for tournaments.

The fact that Ireland are being written off by English in particular is laughable when you look at their current squad. England have the expectation to attack but they don't have the players capable of doing it against the big teams. They'll be picked off by France for sure. Ireland on the other hand will have no pressure on them to attack. They'll sit tight, consolidate the defence and see what happens. And in the Euros anything can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Europe has most of the best teams, and most of the best players. There are only 16 places for 53 teams. Look at some of the crap that has played in the World Cup, African cup, Asain Cup. Euros are a step above all of the other football competitions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Group stage in Euros is much tougher then in WC.

In WC you pretty much always have could you say very beatable team in it. Cant say same about Euros even with Ireland or Denmark.

Take away Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay and its as good as any WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I don't get the blinkeredness, ireland are a well below average team that got extremely lucky away to Russia and extremely lucky in getting the worst team in the playoffs. I think we will be lucky to score a goal in the group stages, never mind getting a win. I'll probably watch the games because we are playing 3 decent teams, but I'll watch them knowing we won't win any of them. I'll be more interested in Germany's progress than Ireland's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I don't get the blinkeredness, ireland are a well below average team that got extremely lucky away to Russia and extremely lucky in getting the worst team in the playoffs. I think we will be lucky to score a goal in the group stages, never mind getting a win. I'll probably watch the games because we are playing 3 decent teams, but I'll watch them knowing we won't win any of them. I'll be more interested in Germany's progress than Ireland's.

Wow what a ****ing horrible attitude to have. A truly awful "supporter".

You'll probably watch the games....you are more interested in Germany's progress??

**** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Well below average? That's an absolutely ridiculous statement and it betrays a lack of understanding of International football. Ireland would be considered an average footballing side. Its results, players, and FIFA ranking are indicative of this.

Secondly being positive is not being blinkered. Is it possible that Ireland will get out of the group? Yes. Is it likely? No. Not being positive kind of defeats the whole purpose of being a football fan doesn't it?

You're going to me more interested in a foreign team than Ireland? Says it all really doesn't it. There are too many people in this country that don't understand the true meaning of following football a team. They don't see the point in following a team that is not expected to win. They are too used to glory hunting after English premiership teams. Pampered pseudo-football fans.

Ireland are underdogs, however, fans (knowing this) should still be positive. That's the whole point of supporting a team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Thread is a tad crazy, lots of fanatical support which is nice, but this naturally brings with it a certain lack of objectivity when it come to analysing our chances. And then you have the overly cynical "we'll definitely lose all three games' set of posters in the mix who think they're stepping away from the hysteria and giving an unblinkered view but the levels of certainty spoken in are also naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

joe123 wrote: »
    Wow what a ****ing horrible attitude to have. A truly awful "supporter".

You'll probably watch the games....you are more interested in Germany's progress??

**** off.

I couldnt of said it better myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Terry
    Cahill
    Lescott
    Chiellini
    Barzagli
    Pique
    Kjaer
    Agger
    Mathijsen
    Pepe
    Hummels
    Mexes

Yep, a massive struggle.

Why is he there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I predict we'll get 3 points - we'll beat Italy. Our first game is a tough one and we'll be under all the pressure not to lose the game. I can only see Croatia beating us. I don't think we'll finish bottom of the group, but we'll have to pull off a huge result in our first game to have any chance and I can't see that happening.

Advertisement