Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loving the under estimation of Ireland's chances

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

I just read a review on sky sports by various foreign journos contributing opinion on Ireland. It is all a bit pointless seeing as most of them clearly have not seen any of our matches and are just working off cliches and our poor form post 2002.

That reminds me, I hope this makes a return during the tournament,

Renn wrote: »
    For what it's worth here's some stats for teams playing vs Ireland:

Fixture|Shots (On Target)|Corners|Possession
    Hungary vs Ireland (0-0)|22 (9)|3|50%
    Ireland vs Bosnia-Herzegovina (1-0)|11 (2)|2|50%
    Ireland vs Czech Republic (1-1)|20 (5)|5|60%
    Ireland vs Croatia (0-0)|13 (1)|3|64%
    Ireland vs Estonia (1-1)|10 (5)|3|48%
    Estonia vs Ireland (0-4)|7 (2)|4|40%
    Ireland vs Armenia (2-1)|13 (5)|5|51%
    Andorra vs Ireland (0-2)|3 (1)|2|30%
    Russia vs Ireland (0-0)|24 (10)|12|62%
    Ireland vs Slovakia (0-0)|15 (11)|4|46%
    Italy vs Ireland (0-2)|21 (1)|4|68%
    Macedonia vs Ireland (0-2)|12 (7)|3|45%
    Ireland vs Scotland (1-0)|12 (5)|1|51%
    Ireland vs Northern Ireland (5-0)|1 (0)|1|43%
    Ireland vs Uruguay (2-3)|14 (7)|4|45%
    Ireland vs Macedonia (2-1)|13 (7)|3|45%
    Ireland vs Wales (3-0)|3 (1)|5|48%
    Ireland vs Norway (1-2)|12 (7)|2|45%
    Ireland vs Argentina (0-1)|9 (4)|1|68%
    Slovakia vs Ireland (1-1)|17 (5)|7|47%
    Ireland vs Russia (2-3)|16 (6)|4|54%

268 shots for what, 13 goals? That's some amazing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

briany wrote: »
    I don't know if the statistics go this far but I'd like to know how many of the total shots were taken inside the box. No one will deny that Ireland concede possession and opportunities but they strive to limit it to strikes from range.

Fixture|Shots (On Target)|Shots Inside Box|Corners|Possession
    Hungary vs Ireland (0-0)|22 (9)|7|3|50%
    Ireland vs Bosnia-Herzegovina (1-0)|11 (2)|4|2|50%
    Ireland vs Czech Republic (1-1)|20 (5)|8|5|60%
    Ireland vs Croatia (0-0)|13 (1)|7|3|64%
    Ireland vs Estonia (1-1)|10 (5)|4|3|48%
    Estonia vs Ireland (0-4)|7 (2)|3|4|40%
    Ireland vs Armenia (2-1)|13 (5)|9|5|51%
    Andorra vs Ireland (0-2)|3 (1)|1|2|30%
    Russia vs Ireland (0-0)|24 (10)|12|12|62%
    Ireland vs Slovakia (0-0)|15 (11)|8|4|46%
    Italy vs Ireland (0-2)|21 (1)|5|4|68%
    Macedonia vs Ireland (0-2)|12 (7)|5|3|45%
    Ireland vs Scotland (1-0)|12 (5)|9|1|51%
    Ireland vs Northern Ireland (5-0)|1 (0)|1|1|43%
    Ireland vs Uruguay (2-3)|14 (7)|9|4|45%
    Ireland vs Macedonia (2-1)|13 (7)|10|3|45%
    Ireland vs Wales (3-0)|3 (1)|1|5|48%
    Ireland vs Norway (1-2)|12 (7)|5|2|45%
    Ireland vs Argentina (0-1)|9 (4)|5|1|68%
    Slovakia vs Ireland (1-1)|17 (5)|13|7|47%
    Ireland vs Russia (2-3)|16 (6)|12|4|54%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Aside from a few comments in here, the thread is hilarious. Everyone is on they're high horse about Ireland being underestimated, and in the same breath everyone believes Italy are already beaten and Crotia is the key. Are you being serious?

Throw in the usual I hate England and they look down on us comments. THe fact is in England nobody actually cares about the Euro's let alone anyone outside of England. With The Jubilee last weekend and the coming Olympics, there is little else on they're minds. I was asked last weekend was the Euros big in Ireland because it seemed to have been forgotten over there. I'm also sick of this comment as well for the constant embaressment I feel when I'm over there and, anywhere I've been, the Irish have been supported hugely by English fans.

Get the chip off your shoulders and looking for stupid underdogs title and hate campaigns. It's a major international tournament, anything can happen, Ireland may get out of the group, they may even win it. So can any of the other 16 participants. Did anyone predict Greece to win the tournament? Or France to be sent home in the group stage of the WC? I don't think so.

Enjoy the tournament and support your country. This point scoring issue is ridiculously hypocritical and laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm also sick of this comment as well for the constant embaressment I feel when I'm over there and, anywhere I've been, the Irish have been supported hugely by English fans.

That's certainly true. Never more so than WC94.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Aside from a few comments in here, the thread is hilarious. Everyone is on they're high horse about Ireland being underestimated, and in the same breath everyone believes Italy are already beaten and Crotia is the key. Are you being serious?

Throw in the usual I hate England and they look down on us comments. THe fact is in England nobody actually cares about the Euro's let alone anyone outside of England. With The Jubilee last weekend and the coming Olympics, there is little else on they're minds. I was asked last weekend was the Euros big in Ireland because it seemed to have been forgotten over there. I'm also sick of this comment as well for the constant embaressment I feel when I'm over there and, anywhere I've been, the Irish have been supported hugely by English fans.

Get the chip off your shoulders and looking for stupid underdogs title and hate campaigns. It's a major international tournament, anything can happen, Ireland may get out of the group, they may even win it. So can any of the other 16 participants. Did anyone predict Greece to win the tournament? Or France to be sent home in the group stage of the WC? I don't think so.

Enjoy the tournament and support your country. This point scoring issue is ridiculously hypocritical and laughable.

Not everybody. There's me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

People HATE England because their supporters are absolute ****. The Irish messy as they get with drink are generally respectful and go to games with a sense of fun as opposed to the prevailing attitude with far too many England supporters of aggression and adversity.

If more England supporters followed the Irish attitude they'd be a very popular national team. They travel in large numbers not afraid to spend and generally knowledgeable and vocal. Instead you have bands of utter thugs poisioning the atmosphere, whipping pissed young fellas up into frenzys and the usual result is splayed across ourt television screens.

That is why England is not and never will be warmed to or liked by foreign soccer supporters as long as the jingoistic, Eng-er-land, German bombers brigade are calling the shots.

Any of you don't want to take my word for it, take the word of an Englishman.
    http://www.football365.com/news/25563/7793998/Euro-Champs-Odyssey-Shame-Of-2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Most English fans I have ever come across are dead sound.

They have their bad boys alright and maybe more then your average, but you cant label them all in same brush.

The Irish fans are fantastic, but I have seen the odd prick among the Irish contingent from time to time too.

Do you want to generalise any more?

England are a huge country with a huge national fanbase, many of whom spend a small fortune traveling the World in support of their side. Some of them are *****, and the football team attracts proportionally more ***** than the fans of the rugby and cricket team do, but 99% of the English support I've met at games are just good, honest people trying to enjoy their football and back their team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

To be fair to England it's only about 1% of their fans and 30% of their team that give the rest a bad name.

• Advertisement

People HATE England because their supporters are absolute ****. The Irish messy as they get with drink are generally respectful and go to games with a sense of fun as opposed to the prevailing attitude with far too many England supporters of aggression and adversity.

If more England supporters followed the Irish attitude they'd be a very popular national team. They travel in large numbers not afraid to spend and generally knowledgeable and vocal. Instead you have bands of utter thugs poisioning the atmosphere, whipping pissed young fellas up into frenzys and the usual result is splayed across ourt television screens.

That is why England is not and never will be warmed to or liked by foreign soccer supporters as long as the jingoistic, Eng-er-land, German bombers brigade are calling the shots.

Any of you don't want to take my word for it, take the word of an Englishman.
    http://www.football365.com/news/25563/7793998/Euro-Champs-Odyssey-Shame-Of-2000

Quite a ridiculous, generalised and needless attack on English supporters. The fact is Irish people are 'supposed' to hate England because of the history of the two nations over a hundred years ago. That's the reason it's done, not because they are 'absolute ****'.

True, they have an image of the bulldog tattoo'd, no shirt with a can of larger, shouting in groups. They have that image because that group make the most noise. Is the Irish attitude you speak of the same one that is being carried on in Australia at the moment? Because obviously that is a good representation of all the Irish people isn't it? Or how about the pissed group of Irish lads in Celtic jerseys shouting rebel songs? You can make general comments about any nationality. Doing so can be seen as insulting at the minimum, to racist at the extreme. It also justs backs up my point that you are looking for a hate campaign.

The England team are quite an anomaly because going by their rank, not that it's much to go by, they are in the elite of world soccer and yet they have managed to scuttle almost every chance they have had of getting really deep into a major tournament over the last 15 years, the quarters being their best return so I don't think any level headed Irish fan watches an England game from any point of acrimony but there'll be a part of us going, "How on Earth will it all go wrong this time? They've put penalty kicks into orbit, thrown the ball in the net, had bobbles on the pitch, stood on Ronaldo's crotch, had a ref with a case of temporary blindness, lost leads which looked totally secure....How are they going to top it this time around?!? I don't know but I am going to watch and see!"

Quite a ridiculous, generalised and needless attack on English supporters. The fact is Irish people are 'supposed' to hate England because of the history of the two nations over a hundred years ago. That's the reason it's done, not because they are 'absolute ****'.

True, they have an image of the bulldog tattoo'd, no shirt with a can of larger, shouting in groups. They have that image because that group make the most noise. Is the Irish attitude you speak of the same one that is being carried on in Australia at the moment? Because obviously that is a good representation of all the Irish people isn't it? Or how about the pissed group of Irish lads in Celtic jerseys shouting rebel songs? You can make general comments about any nationality. Doing so can be seen as insulting at the minimum, to racist at the extreme. It also justs backs up my point that you are looking for a hate campaign.

At that point you confirmed you are an ***** (avoiding a ban!).

Get an education FFS. Do you even know the meaning of the word racist? What race did I attack?

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Do you want to generalise any more?

England are a huge country with a huge national fanbase, many of whom spend a small fortune traveling the World in support of their side. Some of them are *****, and the football team attracts proportionally more ***** than the fans of the rugby and cricket team do, but 99% of the English support I've met at games are just good, honest people trying to enjoy their football and back their team.

Yes I do actually. The English in Portugal 2004, France 1998, Landsdowne Road 1995, Charleroi 2000. Do you not see a pattern? Are you actually trying to tell me that it's a tiny minority that is just going round causing trouble? Bollocks! Utter Bollocks. I'll grant it's a minority that is stirring it up but there are far too many pissed up lagar louts only too ready to provide support when it does kick off.

Plenty of Irish people I know would support the English cricket team in the test matches because you actually can. There is no xenophobic undertones, no riots, plenty of drinking, plenty of drunk fans, no bother. You have actually backed up my argument there, inadvertantly I'm sure, but nonetheless. To say that hooliganism isn't a general problem with the England national team is just wrong. It is rife. the FA aren't breaking their bollix trying to clean up the image for the good of their health. From the booing of national anthems in Wembley to the general malfeasance, usually at summer tournaments, it is clear that the problem is not a minority issue.

again rid the travelling support of the firms and the combat 18 et al (the minority) and the rest will be fine. These guys are smart enough to know they can whip up nationalistic, xenophobic and sometimes racist fervour and let the group think take hold.

The exact same thing happened in Dublin with the Love Ulster riot, a few older, wiser republicans wound up enough young, impressionable fellas to kick off while they skulked back to the shadows, remote and removed from the trouble.

The England team are quite an anomaly because going by their rank, not that it's much to go by, they are in the elite of world soccer and yet they have managed to scuttle almost every chance they have had of getting really deep into a major tournament over the last 15 years, the quarters being their best return so I don't think any level headed Irish fan watches an England game from any point of acrimony but there'll be a part of us going, "How on Earth will it all go wrong this time? They've put penalty kicks into orbit, thrown the ball in the net, had bobbles on the pitch, stood on Ronaldo's crotch, had a ref with a case of temporary blindness, lost leads which looked totally secure....How are they going to top it this time around?!? I don't know but I am going to watch and see!"

Look at the successful English teams in the Premier League for the last 20 years. Huge amounts of the players in the successful clubs that could be considered clutch ( excuse the americanism) were not actually English. Dalglish, Souness Whelan, Rush at Liverpool. United in the 90's Cantona, Giggs, Schmeichel and Keane. Chelsea, Drogba, Cech, Carvehho. The premier league has never been won by a core of English players. Plenty of very good, nay excellent English players have won it and have been centrally important in their teams being successful, Gerrard, Lampard, Pallister, Neville, Beckham but there has never been an English team made up of five or six Englishmen at the pinnicle of their club careers underpinning the national team. The closest was probably England in 2000, Scholes, Beckham, and the Nevilles.

The Premier Leauge has no loyalty to the national set up or to the FA. Wenger or ferguson or rogers or Di Matteo or Mancini, don't care if their next wonderkid grew up three miles from their respective ground or under a bush in Timbuktu so long as he adds value to the club.

At that point you confirmed you are an ***** (avoiding a ban!).

Get an education FFS. Do you even know the meaning of the word racist? What race did I attack?

That's what you picked out to argue my point. Well, apologises. Is discrimination based on your nationality considered racism? Technically, no. Racism is a discrimination on you (or someone else) because of the color of your skin. there is some gray area there of course, but i think that is the general idea. To be technical, you are prejudice.

Main Entry: 1prej·u·dice
    Pronunciation: \ˈpre-jə-dəs\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin praejudicium previous judgment, damage, from prae- + judicium judgment — more at judicial
    Date: 13th century
    1: injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights ; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims
    2 a (1): preconceived judgment or opinion (2): an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b: an instance of such judgment or opinion c: an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

Happy?

Whatever you prefer to be called, it's still not a good thing.

That's what you picked out to argue my point. Well, apologises. Is discrimination based on your nationality considered racism? Technically, no. Racism is a discrimination on you (or someone else) because of the color of your skin. there is some gray area there of course, but i think that is the general idea. To be technical, you are prejudice.

Main Entry: 1prej·u·dice
    Pronunciation: \ˈpre-jə-dəs\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin praejudicium previous judgment, damage, from prae- + judicium judgment — more at judicial
    Date: 13th century
    1: injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights ; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims
    2 a (1): preconceived judgment or opinion (2): an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b: an instance of such judgment or opinion c: an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

Happy?

Whatever you prefer to be called, it's still not a good thing.

No. You really are not a bright child are you?

I don't need dictionary definitions copied and pasted for my benefit but you my unlearned friend do.

Again I'll ask you, without the aid of the dictionary or Wikipedia or what ever shonky, web-based, fallacy factory you purloin your guff from; What race of people did I abuse?

The rest of your 'argument is so utterly pointless that is is simply not worth arguing.
    The fact is Irish people are 'supposed' to hate England because of the history of the two nations over a hundred years ago. That's the reason it's done, not because they are 'absolute ****'.

This gem of such unparallelled witlessness leaves me to believe you are actually a candidate for the ignore list. You accuse me of generalisations not one line before and then brainshart that onto the screen.

The fact that you think our history just spans one hundred years old is the first evidence that you have absolutely not an iota of a clue as to the history between England and Ireland as two nations much less anything else.

I'm not engaging with you any further.

Guys, please.

No. You really are not a bright child are you?

I don't need dictionary definitions copied and pasted for my benefit but you my unlearned friend do.

Again I'll ask you, without the aid of the dictionary or Wikipedia or what ever shonky, web-based, fallacy factory you purloin your guff from; What race of people did I abuse?

The rest of your 'argument is so utterly pointless that is is simply not worth arguing.

This gem of such unparallelled witlessness leaves me to believe you are actually a candidate for the ignore list. You accuse me of generalisations not one line before and then brainshart that onto the screen.

The fact that you think our history just spans one hundred years old is the first evidence that you have absolutely not an iota of a clue as to the history between England and Ireland as two nations much less anything else.

I'm not engaging with you any further.

I'm not going to throw insults at you, but I will let you know that you are really offending me with the content of your 'argument'.

Ignore List? Are you really one of those? Truth be told you haven't argued anything on here, you have just been very disrespectful. And for the life of me I don't knnow who you are trying to impress or gain approval from.

The funny thing is you attack the behaviour of all (majority) of English fans, yet you have got into arguments on here in support of your English club.

In my opinion, this hate campaign is of no benefit apart from to drag our nationallity down. I'm not going to get into it on here as it is not the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Looking at those stats on shots we'll draw 0-0 twice then get thumped 8-0 when a team is on form with their shots :D

If ye were in charge of Spain, Italy or Croatia, what specific things would you be employing in your game plan to unlock Ireland's system?

If ye were in charge of Spain, Italy or Croatia, what specific things would you be employing in your game plan to unlock Ireland's system?

I think you would employ similar tactics I think. You would have to draw out Irelands midfield, so counter attacking football would be your best opportunity. If one thing can be said about Ireland, they hold their shape incrediblely well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

"This thread is hilarious because of the

Blah blah blah.."

Play the way they usually play? I don't think there's anything particularly impressive or unusual about Ireland's system. I'm sure the Spanish players are well used to it. Take the two games between Barcelona vs Chelsea for example. Everybody was harping on about how there wasn't a plan b etc. But their main plan/tactics worked - it's their finishing that let them down. Same with Bayern Munich vs Chelsea in the final. Bayern got their tactics spot on, more so than Chelsea, but where Bayern failed was with their finishing. I'm not sure what else the manager could have done as he got the tactics spot on.

For what it's worth, here's some stats for the Italians:

Fixture|Shots (On Target)|Shots Inside Box|Corners|Possession
    Italy vs Russia (0-3)|22 (9)|13|4|54%
    Italy vs USA (0-1)|19 (7)|12|8|61%
    Italy vs Uruguay (0-1)|20 (8)|16|7|68%
    Italy vs Spain (2-1)|13 (7)|11|7|44%
    Italy vs Northern Ireland (3-0)|13 (7)|9|6|52%
    Serbia vs Italy (1-1)|8 (4)|4|1|50%
    Italy vs Slovenia (1-0)|13 (4)|8|3|50%
    Faroe Island vs Italy (0-1)|17 (10)|6|7|68%
    Italy vs Ireland (0-2)|21 (1)|5|4|68%
    Italy vs Estonia (3-0)|11 (6)|8|5|50%
    Ukraine vs Italy (0-2)|8 (4)|5|2|46%
    Slovenia vs Italy (0-1)|8 (6)|7|7|50%
    Germany vs Italy (1-1)|13 (6)|8|4|43%

Play the way they usually play? I don't think there's anything particularly impressive or unusual about Ireland's system. I'm sure the Spanish players are well used to it.

I agree but I think any team, especially at this stage of the game, is going to prepare for the games they have and try to exploit the perceived weaknesses of their opponents for maximum effect which might mean a modification to the tactics here and there.
    268 shots for what, 13 goals? That's some amazing stuff.

That works out to just under a 5% success rate. Would we all take that going into Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

i think most would agree that the closest team at club level to the way Spain play is Barcelona. Guardiola himself admitted he had to take a look and re-examine the way they play.

It's been shown by Chelsea and England in their friendly v Spain, that parking the bus, getting tight, closing down space, 10 men behind the ball is a very effective way of playing against Spain. For sure, they still have the quality to beat any team employing those tactics - but the loss of David Villa is massive.

In practice, Xavi and Iniesta will pass, pass, pass, pass, whilst Andrews and Whelan run their bollix off......but if we stay compact and disciplined (which is Traps strength) i don't see why we can't get a result.

People tend to forget the Spain side of 2002 were far superior too, and i feel we more than matched them that day and could/should have won the game.

I agree but I think any team, especially at this stage of the game, is going to prepare for the games they have and try to exploit the perceived weaknesses of their opponents for maximum effect which might mean a modification to the tactics here and there.

That works out to just under a 5% success rate. Would we all take that going into Sunday?

Ha, a 5% success rate would be 3 goals (working off 60 shots against Ireland obv). I think Ireland would be more than happy to take conceding just three goals during the group stage :D

i think most would agree that the closest team at club level to the way Spain play is Barcelona. Guardiola himself admitted he had to take a look and re-examine the way they play.

It's been shown by Chelsea and England in their friendly v Spain, that parking the bus, getting tight, closing down space, 10 men behind the ball is a very effective way of playing against Spain. For sure, they still have the quality to beat any team employing those tactics - but the loss of David Villa is massive.

In practice, Xavi and Iniesta will pass, pass, pass, pass, whilst Andrews and Whelan run their bollix off......but if we stay compact and disciplined (which is Traps strength) i don't see why we can't get a result.

People tend to forget the Spain side of 2002 were far superior too, and i feel we more than matched them that day and could/should have won the game.

In those matches the Spanish completely dominated and made loads of chances. Just couldn't finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

G.K. wrote: »
    In those matches the Spanish completely dominated and made loads of chances. Just couldn't finish.

But the English team scored more goals than the Spanish team. Which is all that matters at the end of the day.

Loads of half chances, maybe. Fabregas missed a sitter against England late on but that was the only real opportunity they wasted. They had loads of the ball and shot from 25 yards a lot but nothing that was bothering Hart.

• Advertisement

11 shots on goal in the box still isn't the worst. 19 off target is poor though obv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

so, about that underestimation...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Helix wrote: »

bush%20misunderestimate.jpg

If anything the underestimation now almost seems generous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Helix wrote: »

We've lulled them into a false sense of security. Now's the time to strike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

wel that was a load of bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

Oops

:eek:

Secman

In a way but look at the stats vs the type of teams Ireland will be playing against:

Ireland vs Russia (2-3)|16 (6)|4|54%
    So it's not that wild to suggest that Ireland could be looking at possession stats of no greater than 35% for their group games. If that happens you're going to most likely see, on average, 20 shots on goal per game. 60 shots in 3 games. I'll be shocked if they survive that group.

And yes, massive lolz at Northern Ireland.

40 shots so far. 20 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I tell you one thing. The lads will have no fear of anyone, they will give it their all. You think Spain want to be going up against Richard Dunne? You think Croatia will have a hard time trying to get one past Shay Given? I kid you not, the other teams in our group will be watching their backs. There are plenty of other teams they would rather play than us. We may be the most unfancied team in the tournament, but we wont be the worst. We have every chance of getting out of that group.

Had a laugh at this post the first time i saw it, it's even funnier now.

My predictions were wildly optimistic too! I believed that Spain would find it hard to lift themselves for the tournament given the unprecedented success at club and national levels for many of the squad and the sheer number of games they've played. Some of those players have had a punishing last five years of football.

Italy and Pirlo in particular I thought had left their good days behind them though he has yet to be tested by Andrews and Whelan. I though they were light in attack. I still think that they are but Pirlo and Marchisio and Motta have been excellent.

Croatia I thought we might catch them cold and get the draw. They actually were the team I worried most about.

• Advertisement

In a way but look at the stats vs the type of teams Ireland will be playing against:

Ireland vs Russia (2-3)|16 (6)|4|54%So it's not that wild to suggest that Ireland could be looking at possession stats of no greater than 35% for their group games. If that happens you're going to most likely see, on average, 20 shots on goal per game. 60 shots in 3 games. I'll be shocked if they survive that group.

And yes, massive lolz at Northern Ireland.

Fixture|Shots (On Target)|Corners|Possession
    Ireland vs Croatia (1-3)|14 (8)|7|55%
    Spain vs Ireland (4-0)|26 (20)|8|66%
    Italy vs Ireland (2-0)|26 (7)|12|67%

No surprises at Euro 2012 then!

You got your 60 then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Anyone still think Dunne is better than Pique?

Advertisement