Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling alone to Thailand

Options
  • 02-06-2012 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi,

Gonna keep this short and to the point. I've been thinking of headin away in the summer of 2013 to Thailand for a few weeks. Only thing is, it will most likely be alone, as friends aren't particularly keen on it. Would appreciate a bit of advice/experiences on a few things.

1) Im 22 (and male). Will I be seen as sad for going it alone by the people over in Thailand? And what are people's experiences of travelling alone in general? Im not really majorly outgoing, but not shy either, so if its easy to get chatting to fellow backpackers in these types of places then that would be a bit of a boost.

2) Is it all a bit overbearing arriving in a really busy place like Bangkok, not knowing anyone, not being with anyone you know for company? Basically, will the feelings of loneliness outweigh and positive feelings about Thailand itself?

3) Is it safe to head there alone? Im a level headed lad and tend not to do anything stupid (I do like drinking a fair bit though)

Answers to these questions and any other contributions about going to Thailand would be appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 annsie

Of corse they will not think you are sad! I was in oz last year and the amount of people that travel alone. Id be pretty shy but when your in a situation like that you have no choice but to make more of an effort with people so in a way it makes you become more confident and out-going.
    You will meet loads of new people and will probably have the time of your life... just mingle in de irish bars and go from there! Good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Hi R

There are lots of people who travel alone. No needs to worry about that. Been there done that . Thailand is a great place. I've been to some of the biggest major city's in the world . Bk is very different . Some people love it others hate it . As long as you know you are not travelling in a westernised country you will be fine. You get any type of cuisine there. Security wise when travelling alone you are responsible for your own self. passport valuables so you have to be on the ball if you are heading out. Good idea is scanning your passport , id etc saving bank phone numbers into an email and Travel insurance etc.

My advice don't spend to long in Bk a week maybe or less. There's tourist offices everywhere on the streets there. You can fill your days going on organised excursions. You ll meet people that way . Cost roughly 40 euros or less and they are all day events well worth it.

Go see the country also . Take the over night train from Bk to Chiangmai mai. Head to the islands etc .

Just a point summer time there is rainy season

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

You'll have no bother in Thaliand on you're own. Did same number of years back , it's very well set up for backpackers and and that's naturally very sociable , so if you want to hook up with others it will be easy , if not you ll enjoy it immensely anyway
    People won't look at as sad , more than likely as brave and confident., at least that what they said

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Nothing wrong with doing it on your own, it's an absolutely amazing place that you want to see - why should you let your mates hold you back from doing what you want? At the end of the day they're the ones that are missing out.

Loved Thailand the first time I went over and always said I'd go back even if it meant it would be just me on my own, heading back over next week for the third time, I'm just lucky my mates like the place as much as I do and are happy to go back with me every other summer.

You'll meet people in hotels/hostels, bars, day trips, etc. If you don't mind being on your own for parts of the trip you will be fine. I've met loads of people in Thailand that have done it on their own, it will be one of the best decisions you'll ever make, go for it.

Way more solo travellers.. It's the opposite to what you'd think. Most would consider 5/6 lads travelling in a group as a bit sad cause they're basically unapproachable compared to a solo traveller meaning they're meeting way less people and not getting out of their comfort zone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with doing it on your own, it's an absolutely amazing place that you want to see - why should you let your mates hold you back from doing what you want? At the end of the day they're the ones that are missing out.

Loved Thailand the first time I went over and always said I'd go back even if it meant it would be just me on my own, heading back over next week for the third time, I'm just lucky my mates like the place as much as I do and are happy to go back with me every other summer.

You'll meet people in hotels/hostels, bars, day trips, etc. If you don't mind being on your own for parts of the trip you will be fine. I've met loads of people in Thailand that have done it on their own, it will be one of the best decisions you'll ever make, go for it.

Cheers for the reply, gives me more confidence to just do it regardless of whether I have company or not. No point looking back and regretting these things, and by the sounds of it ill have a blast.

I'm fine being on my own for parts of the trip, but if im being honest I think the more new people I meet, the more I'll enjoy the experience of being there. Is it easy to organize these day trips? And sorry if this sounds in any way sleazy or whatever, but in your experience is it common to "hook up" with girls over there? I don't mean prostitutes by the way, and getting with a girl is NOT the reason I'd be going, it doesn't even make the top 10 reasons, just as a (most likely) single lad when im going, im curious as to how common it is? And the full moon parties, are they as good as they look?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

is it common to "hook up" with girls over there?

Hooking up with bar girls is easy (its their job) hooking up with non-bar-girls, different kettle of fish. Much more difficult, especially if you are only there for a short time, lack of Thai language etc. Hooking up with other tourist girls (non-Thai) however is just the same as it is anywhere else in the world.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

First of All - Fair play to you deciding to just go travelling regardless of who goes.
    I was in the same situation this year and decided I am going to do my 'big trip' next year and have now booked to go on April 1st 2013. I am travelling from Dublin with my friend that I met through the website travelbuddy. Got to know her over the past few months and now we travelling together - so if your really uncomfortable about travelling alone then check out that site, you'll be surprised how many people go it alone all the time.

Do you have a date in mind to head over? I'm starting in Thailand and working my way through Laos, cambodia and vietnam and then onto Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jtmk3

Fair play to you is right, dead right to head it alone. That exactly what I'm doing, got sick of waiting on other people to want to go. I'm doing pretty much the same trip, heading to Thailand in Jan 2013 then to Cambodia and Vietnam before arriving in Perth, I expect to be in Oz by March 2013, cant wait, and giving the weather we are having in Ireland at the moment it will be a good change.

Let me know how you get on, it will be one great adventure!

• Advertisement

jtmk3 wrote: »
    Fair play to you is right, dead right to head it alone. That exactly what I'm doing, got sick of waiting on other people to want to go. I'm doing pretty much the same trip, heading to Thailand in Jan 2013 then to Cambodia and Vietnam before arriving in Perth, I expect to be in Oz by March 2013, cant wait, and giving the weather we are having in Ireland at the moment it will be a good change.

Let me know how you get on, it will be one great adventure!

Best of luck on your travels jtmks, how much are you aiming to bring with you and whats your planned route?. Am looking for some pointers on the best places to go.

Thanks Naid23

I am hoping to do North Thailand (mountains), Bangkok, then south Thailand to include Koh Samui and Koh Tao, then to Cambodia and Vietnam, haven't finalised where I'm going yet in both, but will definitely include Angkor Wat (ancient temple). I got main ideas from Googling pre arranged trips and from Lonely Planet website, which is really good. Hope to get by on bout 50 euro or about 2,000 baht a day while in Asia. I will be on a shoe string budget and from reviews I read Asia is a great place to travel on the cheap, I even head stories of Hostels from 50c a night, although for that I wouldn't be expecting too much!

Yeah i am doing something similar, Starting in bangkok and working my way up through to Chiang Rai and then Laos, vietnam and cambodia - havent decided on the order yet thou.

You mention that you are heading the mountains, are you going trekking? If you are planning on doing some proper trekking and not just the tourist Karen tribes then I can reccomend a guy we used for trekking 2 years ago. He is absolutely brilliant - brought us waaaay out off the beaten track and to a village that only allows like 10 visitors a year. Truly one of the best experiences in thailand IMO.

50c for a hostel is a bit of an exageration, cheapest I found (Bearing in mind we went in the low season) was 400bt a night which is still very cheap but nothing amazing bout it.Thailand is more expensive compared to the likes of Laos, vietnam and cambodia.

In saying that though you should be fine getting by on 2000 baht a day espec if you aint drinkin every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

R019912 wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply, gives me more confidence to just do it regardless of whether I have company or not. No point looking back and regretting these things, and by the sounds of it ill have a blast.

I'm fine being on my own for parts of the trip, but if im being honest I think the more new people I meet, the more I'll enjoy the experience of being there. Is it easy to organize these day trips? And sorry if this sounds in any way sleazy or whatever, but in your experience is it common to "hook up" with girls over there? I don't mean prostitutes by the way, and getting with a girl is NOT the reason I'd be going, it doesn't even make the top 10 reasons, just as a (most likely) single lad when im going, im curious as to how common it is? And the full moon parties, are they as good as they look?

Hi man, I just got back from 3 weeks in Thailand im going to express my own views and I dont think people will agree but here we go anyway. I always planned on going to thailand alone and it never bothered me really but when i went my friend came with me so that was good that i didnt have to do it alone. when i got there i noticed theres probably more men and women travelling alone than in groups, so youll be fine meeting people we always met loads of people no problem. However Thailand is definately the dodgiest country that I have ever been in my life and there is really no such thing as health and safety there was 3 bad events that happend me and my friend (that can happen anywhere else in the world obviously but ive never had anything like this happen me anywhere else and ive travelled a good bit) it is very different from back home, way more than i expected maybe I was naive. After travelling there with my friend I would no way go back there and do it alone mainly for safety reasons, but then again a few bad things happened us and we were together but its good to know somebody has your back. Im the same with friends that wont go anywhere and last summer I went off on my own but theres just something about thailand that i wouldnt like on my own, but thats me it coulod be way different for you! and it is great to get out and if your friends arent going you cant stay here forever but i just found thailand very dodgy but there was plenty of lone travellers that we met that got on fine, also in the low season the weather wasnt great for us was cloudy and rainy most days down the islands to be honest even rained at the full moon but nobody including me cared really it was all part of the laugh but can be annoying during the day when its pissing. I really enjoyed the full moon party its a great laugh and a bit mad a big group of us went from our hotel! as for the girls situation, its pretty much the same as anywhere else its not very easy and its not very diffcult ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

However Thailand is definately the dodgiest country that I have ever been in my life and there is really no such thing as health and safety there was 3 bad events that happend me and my friend (that can happen anywhere else in the world obviously but ive never had anything like this happen me anywhere else and ive travelled a good bit) it is very different from back home, way more than i expected maybe I was naive.

Hey Templar,

What sort of dodgy things happened? I'm going on my own next week and you've got me curious.....!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

JayC5 wrote: »
    Hey Templar,

What sort of dodgy things happened? I'm going on my own next week and you've got me curious.....!!!!

Dont worry about it man,i travel to Thailand 3 times a year and i always travel alone and i have been doing that for many years,and not once have i ever had any trouble.

But you are a long way from home and Thailand aint anything like Ireland,just keep your wits about you like you would here and always smile :)

JayC5 wrote: »
    However Thailand is definately the dodgiest country that I have ever been in my life and there is really no such thing as health and safety there was 3 bad events that happend me and my friend (that can happen anywhere else in the world obviously but ive never had anything like this happen me anywhere else and ive travelled a good bit) it is very different from back home, way more than i expected maybe I was naive.

Hey Templar,

2 examples I got spiked one night thank god my friend was with me but the bar maids robbed him this was on the ko Sahn road with loads of other backpackers around. Another night we nearly got kidnapped in a cab we had to give the cab driver loads of money to let us go. I don't want to scare anyone but I felt like I should tell ye what happened to me! After that any cab we got we told them we were meeting our friends at that location. You just need to have your wits about you really!

2 examples I got spiked one night thank god my friend was with me but the bar maids robbed him this was on the ko Sahn road with loads of other backpackers around. Another night we nearly got kidnapped in a cab we had to give the cab driver loads of money to let us go. I don't want to scare anyone but I felt like I should tell ye what happened to me! After that any cab we got we told them we were meeting our friends at that location. You just need to have your wits about you really!

Oh God you have me worried now, might change my plans a bit and do a GAP trip or something, don't think I could handle been worried about getting kidnapped. Not to worried bout the petty crime stuff, pick pockets etc, you get them everywhere and you just have to be alert.

I'm sorry to hear all the bad things that happened to you, I hope you were just unlucky and that its not the norm out there. But thanks for letting us know, would much rather know than go blind into these situations.

jtmk3 wrote: »
    Oh God you have me worried now, might change my plans a bit and do a GAP trip or something, don't think I could handle been worried about getting kidnapped. Not to worried bout the petty crime stuff, pick pockets etc, you get them everywhere and you just have to be alert.

I'm sorry to hear all the bad things that happened to you, I hope you were just unlucky and that its not the norm out there. But thanks for letting us know, would much rather know than go blind into these situations.

As I said I dont want to turn you off going, and the only other thing bad we heard happening to other travellers was 2 american lads got spiked and that was from a massive ammount we spoke to. I just wanted to say what happened to us, we went there a bit naive thinking it wasnt going to be that bad and everyone we had spoken to before hand was just over exagerating it! best of luck with whatever you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

What were you spiked with?

• Advertisement

Truley wrote: »
    What were you spiked with?

I didn't get a chance to ask the person that spiked me im afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

Thailand is one of the safest places iv ever been to.

I would much rather walk around alone at night in any tourist spots in Thailand than walk around Dublin.

And who is stupid enough to let their drink get spiked? A bit of common sense helps a lot if you are travelling solo

Thailand is one of the safest places iv ever been to.

I would much rather walk around alone at night in any tourist spots in Thailand than walk around Dublin.

And who is stupid enough to let their drink get spiked? A bit of common sense helps a lot if you are travelling solo

It was spiked before it was brought to me. But your entitled to your opinion!!

What proof do you have it was spiked? People are mad to say oh I got spiked when in fact they just drank too much.

What proof do you have it was spiked? People are mad to say oh I got spiked when in fact they just drank too much.

Well when I woke up in hospital and the doctor performed a toxicology report after me fainting and told me what was in my system that was the proof that was after I drank a coca cola at 5:30pm after just arriving and checking into my hotel and going to a pub. Why would I lie about this? He asked a question about travelling and I told him MY experience Get off your high horse good sir!

Well when I woke up in hospital and the doctor performed a toxicology report after me fainting and told me what was in my system that was the proof that was after I drank a coca cola at 5:30pm after just arriving and checking into my hotel and going to a pub. Why would I lie about this? He asked a question about travelling and I told him MY experience Get off your high horse good sir!

Well in fairness your first post seemed more like putting people off going there than anything. As a 21 year old female whos travelled Thailand several times I have never had so much as one problem as I always keep my wits about me.

Where you subsequently robbed? As why would someone spike a drink for no reason esp a bar worker.....

Well in fairness your first post seemed more like putting people off going there than anything. As a 21 year old female whos travelled Thailand several times I have never had so much as one problem as I always keep my wits about me.

Where you subsequently robbed? As why would someone spike a drink for no reason esp a bar worker.....

I don't know why they would spike me but yes my friend ended up being robbed while trying to help me maybe that's why, I visited over ten countries in the last year alone including places like new York Amsterdam and Prague and nothing close to this happened me in any of those places and I was travelling on my own! I just wanted to tell the op my experience of Thailand as a 21 year old male!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Spiking drinks happens everywhere. Why one would use it as an excuse to not go to a place is beyond me., I am married to a Thai, have been there many occasions, and have seen many people of various ages travelling alone, so for someone to use it as a excuse to put someone else off is OOO imho.

Something to remember there though - BKK is huge compared to Dublin & obviously attracts both good and bad people. So take care, be alert and You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I didn't get a chance to ask the person that spiked me im afraid!

Seems strange that you would have went to a hospital and had a toxicology report done and not even be told what was in your system :confused:

• Advertisement

Depends on the hospital.. If it's a local hospital, then they won't know it in English.

Advertisement