Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social life in gmit/nightlife good college?

• 02-06-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

if anyone here knows or is currently in GMIT is it a good college? like whats the social/night life like? is it worth going there? is there a gym? just basicly what type of place is it thanks ;D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hi! First off GMIT has its own forum just for future reference http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1001

I just finished my first year there in Business. It's a nice college with all the usual stuff like a gym, canteen, library, games room, car park etc. The social life is the best part IMO. Everybody is nice so class parties are usually very good. It's very near to the city so clubbing is the best destination for a night out. Lots of societies too to cater for interests like sport, drama, music too.

Just a quick word on the gym. I don't use it but they have a campus gym that isn't much but you can use the gym in the hotel nearby which I hear is far better with your GMIT gym membership.

If I was in your situation now I'd start looking into accommodation ASAP.

Enjoy your time there if you end up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway City -> GMIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Great college
    Very friendly

Accomadation used to be an issue in Galway, ah I remember queing for the list outside the Advertiser offices, bad times
    That's much better these days

Do you know the areas? Any idea where you'd like to live?

Lots of activities and clubs and friendly people.

Gym is not the best, head down the road to the hotel leisure centre. The gym is basic but it also has a pool, sauna, steamroom, etc
    Very good value, it's one of the cheaper ones in Galway

Kingfisher is far more expensive
    I was a member in the hotel, I recommend it anyway

Or you can head for a jog through the grounds of Chernobyl Merlin Park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

Hi! First off GMIT has its own forum just for future reference http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1001

I just finished my first year there in Business. It's a nice college with all the usual stuff like a gym, canteen, library, games room, car park etc. The social life is the best part IMO. Everybody is nice so class parties are usually very good. It's very near to the city so clubbing is the best destination for a night out. Lots of societies too to cater for interests like sport, drama, music too.

Just a quick word on the gym. I don't use it but they have a campus gym that isn't much but you can use the gym in the hotel nearby which I hear is far better with your GMIT gym membership.

If I was in your situation now I'd start looking into accommodation ASAP.

Enjoy your time there if you end up there.
    cheers thanks alot for replying very helpfull makes me want to go there even more will defo look into it now about accommodation and about the gym sweet just aslong as they have free weights :P really excited now and how did u find the business course?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Great college
    Very friendly

Accomadation used to be an issue in Galway, ah I remember queing for the list outside the Advertiser offices, bad times
    That's much better these days

Do you know the areas? Any idea where you'd like to live?

Lots of activities and clubs and friendly people.

Gym is not the best, head down the road to the hotel leisure centre. The gym is basic but it also has a pool, sauna, steamroom, etc
    Very good value, it's one of the cheaper ones in Galway

Kingfisher is far more expensive
    I was a member in the hotel, I recommend it anyway

Or you can head for a jog through the grounds of Chernobyl Merlin Park :)
    nice thanks for replying also very helpful think i picked which college i wanna go to anyway :p defo this one form all the replies sounds really good !

• Advertisement

Galway as a place is great for going out, there's loads of clubs, and good pubs to choose from and there's a really nice atmosphere.

GMIT is mediocre as a college. It's very small, there aren't many great facilities. The canteen and library are both quite small.

The gym in the college is really small, but membership is quite cheap and there are deals where you can get a joined membership with the college gym and Kingfisher. (Which is a little more expensive)

I'm just finished in GMIT myself, and I personally would not recommend it as place to go to college. If you are set on Galway, try NUIG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I wouldn't say mediocre but definitely not up the NUIG standards. It has one big class room and the rest are very reliant on the notion that maybe 50% of students will turn up for class. There's talk of merging with a few other IT's to make a university but I don't see how that will improve the place. The lecturers are very approachable and a good few of them lecture in both GMIT and NUIG. The students are apparently more approachable too according to some of my NUIG friends when they visit.

The Business course is what you make of it really. You'll get nothing out of it if you just pass everything so you'll have to set your standards high especially in this economy. There's no point in doing it unless you know you'll be committed and do the 4 years because unless you get an Honour degree it's pointless. I have two friends who got jobs straight out of it last year after their Honour year. It was my safety option so if you're about to do the Leaving give it some stick because NUIG commerce is definitely the better course to do.

tl;dr summary - If you do it you'll have to be willing to work hard or else you're wasting money and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

NUIG commerce is definitely the better course to do.

Accounting in GMIT is a much better course then NUIG commerce with Accounting. so the professional accounting bodies say anyway.

Reon has not asked for details on specific courses here guys.

Please don't let this turn into a NUIG vs GMIT thread.

I'm too hungover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

I'm just finished in GMIT myself, and I personally would not recommend it as place to go to college. If you are set on Galway, try NUIG.

Hmm wonder why u ended up there then?????

• Advertisement
Advertisement