Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some questions on xbox

Options
  • 02-06-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

Ive never consoled so be gentle.

Kids have xbox kinect so am starting to see what else it can do and see all these tv and video channel apps and I start to get excited but am now finding out it looks like its all regionalized, e.g. channel 4 on demand is only availalbe in UK which I find strange as you can get it online in Ireland.

Is there any way to view the C4OD and other such On Demand channels through xbox in Ireland? Does xbox work that way, I mean if you want to view something in the states or bbc online you go through a proxy, could the same thing work for xbox?

I installed the youtube and other video apps, Do I have to purchase that gold membership to watch them? It seems like I do. Does everyone do that, pay a monthly or yearly sub, Is that just part of life with the xbox apps?

Whats the story with those codes and vouchers?

thanking you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Thanks to Mister Sherlock I believe discussing region breaking etc is no longer permitted so I don't think anyone here will be able to help.

As for the gold subs, MS did start family packages a while back to make it easier for households with multiple subs, dunno about process but check out xbox.com is my best suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Were not allowed to mention anything bypassing copyright, sorry!

But yes you do need Gold for the Apps on Live, and yes I do agree the UK only restriction of 4OD on the Xbox is odd.

Basically Xbox Live is MUCH cheaper if you buy it through codes, and it is recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Theres no bypassing needed to view 4OD. I emailed channel 4 directly a few months back and asked them if there was a geographical reason i couldnt access it on my xbox but could on my laptop and they said their shouldnt be, but the fault wasnt anything to do with them and it was with my ISP.

May i ask, is your internet with Eircom by any chance, clint?

The app isnt available on the Irish App marketplace on the Xbox, if you get the app using a UK account it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Meesared wrote: »
    Were not allowed to mention anything bypassing copyright, sorry!
    The app isnt available on the Irish App marketplace on the Xbox, if you get the app using a UK account it works fine.

:pac:

OP I am going to guess that someone on this thread has sent you a pm to help, if not send me a pm and I will reply with info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

CMpunked wrote: »
    Theres no bypassing needed to view 4OD. I emailed channel 4 directly a few months back and asked them if there was a geographical reason i couldnt access it on my xbox but could on my laptop and they said their shouldnt be, but the fault wasnt anything to do with them and it was with my ISP.

May i ask, is your internet with Eircom by any chance, clint?

Yes. It's with Eircom.

Yes. It's with Eircom.

Eircom's DNS for some reason causes problems with xbox's ability to watch 4OD.
    My suggestion is change either your routers dns or your xbox settings, whichever is easier for you to configure, to google's own open DNS.

The primary is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 is the secondary.

Here is a few pics as to how to do that directly on the console:
    step0.PNG
    xboxliveconnectiontest.PNG
    step3.PNG
    step4.PNG
    step5.PNG
    step6.PNG

Once this has been completed you may need to reset your console so it can start up with these settings. Give 4OD a go and see how you get on.

This is what worked for me back when i was getting problems.

Eircom's DNS for some reason causes problems with xbox's ability to watch 4OD.
    My suggestion is change either your routers dns or your xbox settings, whichever is easier for you to configure, to google's own open DNS.

The primary is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 is the secondary.

Here is a few pics as to how to do that directly on the console:

Once this has been completed you may need to reset your console so it can start up with these settings. Give 4OD a go and see how you get on.

This is what worked for me back when i was getting problems.
    That wont work, you need a UK account to download the App, once you have the app installed, switch back to your Irish account and it will work fine!

That wont work, you need a UK account to download the App, once you have the app installed, switch back to your Irish account and it will work fine!

If Clint is asking how to actually download the app itself then yes, you are right, but if he is having problems viewing the content than that is what my post is for because thats how i picked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

If Clint is asking how to actually download the app itself then yes, you are right, but if he is having problems viewing the content than that is what my post is for because thats how i picked it up.

Anything I need to know about creating a uk account? I set my locale as ireland when creating the one I do have. I doubt it's as easy as Changing that.

Also just on the gold membership thing. It was mentioned it was easier? Cheaper? To run with codes instead of monthly subs or 60e a year. How does this work, do you buy the codes prepaid?

• Advertisement

Also just on the gold membership thing. It was mentioned it was easier? Cheaper? To run with codes instead of monthly subs or 60e a year. How does this work, do you buy the codes prepaid?

As for codes this place is usually the cheapest. I use them all the time and its got its advantages such as non reoccurring and pretty much instant email delivery.
    For example there is an offer at the moment; €36 for 14 months here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Better late than never I suppose
    A How to Guide: Access Extra Apps on Your Xbox 360 That are Normally Hidden From Ireland

We love the new Xbox 360 Dashboard, the Metro UI is very nice and most of all, the new App Marketplace (While very bare at the moment) is a useful and welcome feature. However for us Xbox owners here in Ireland, you might notice your Dashboard is that little bit more barren than our friends' overseas, both in the United Kingdom and North America.

Worry not as we're going to show you, step-by-step how to open up your console to more content such as Channel 4OD and MSNBC. The very first thing to do is head to your Settings tab and into Settings > Console Settings > Language and Locale and change your Locale to the United Kingdom. After you've done that, head back out to the Social tab and sign out of your primary Xbox Live account, move across a pivot and select Create Profile. Select any Name and Avatar then hit Save and Exit. Next you'll be returned to the dashboard, swipe across to Apps and hit App Marketplace

whereupon you'll be prompted to join Xbox Live - do it. Then it's a simple array of menus and info entering, just select any name, avatar and enter a valid email addres along with a date of birth etc and after going through the Live joining process, (that we don't remember taking so long back in 2002) make sure you don't upgrade to a Gold Membership when you're asked to as you'll be given one month free anyway. Once you're all done and signed up to Xbox Live, simply swipe across to the Apps tab and voila, you'll have access to Channel 4OD, Demand 5 (Channel 5's on demand service), MSNBC and even LoveFilm although the latter won't work without an account that can't be made from Ireland as is.

Once you've downloaded your desired apps, just sign out of your new British Gamertag back into your Irish account and the downloaded apps will be in your App menu, ready for use. Don't forget to change your locale back to Ireland once you're finished because if you don't, it'll cause a headache for you when you next try to purchase Microsoft Points or rent a movie from Zune etc. It is a pain to have to go through such a runaround just to access features that are available in Ireland elsewhere. For example, 4OD works perfectly on any Irish computer and even shows Irish-aimed ads but such is the way with Xbox Live - at least for the moment.

http://www.spin1038.com/page/1.32.72/2230/3/

That wont work with the new dash update coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

That wont work with the new dash update coming.

100325_simpsons.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Completely off topic post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 patrick cummins

To get apps from the uk on my xbox I need to create a uk account and download it through that first. But i need uk credit card don't i to get Xbox live gold account?

Advertisement