Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhubarb Dying?

Options
  • 02-06-2012 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭

Just checked my rhubarb and found all the leaves and stalks have died back. Crowns don't look too healthy, seem to be soft.

Should I dig them up or are they likely to grow back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Are they rotten/waterlogged?

My rubarb seems to be doing somthing strange at the moment too but the crowns look healthy and have the appearance of more leaves to come.

I have spoken to a few people about their rubarb this year as mine was very stringy/fiberous and not too good. This seems to have been a problem to a few people and may have had somthing to do with the wind earlier this year as one man who had 2 seperate crowns, one in a sheltered location which was ok and one not which was stringy.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

Everyone i know has bad Rhurbarb this year for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Same here.

Was great during April but during May it started to die off - soft stalks with no replacements growing.

Has to be the weather ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Same, I thought it was due to splitting the crowns before the winter. That said I got a great crop of forced rhubard from a couple of plants. Another section in shade doesn't look as bad but the rest are short and stringy. It might be due to the mild winter, if I remember correctly rhubarb is originally Siberian in origin so requires a certain amount of cold temp. I might try putting a couple of plants in large pots and placing them in the fridge as insurance if next winter is mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

That sounds like a good idea, you must have a huge fridge?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Oldtree wrote: »
    That sounds like a good idea, you must have a huge fridge?? :D

Walk in:D, enough for a couple of pallets. Don't use it much now. The fridge trick is used by commercial strawberry growers to replicate winter if you want two crops in a summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

first time ever my rhubarb has failed, spring was too cold i think

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mine was good, and still is. Had given it a good feed earlier in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

We have 2 crowns in the polytunnel and there is no problem with it, we will have our third crop from it this week.

Advertisement