Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peaches and Nectarine Trees

Options
  • 02-06-2012 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭

Has anyone had any success in growing peach or nectarine trees outside?

Even though I spray them, every year the ones I have end up with peach leaf curl and no fruit so I am seriously considering removing them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

the only time i've seen them is trained up against a brick wall, and even then I think they put covering over them after pollination to keep the heat in. Maybe in a tunnel? Prob better to just replace them with a good apple variety:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ROGER THE LODGER

Planted 100 trees so far, all peaches sulking in the Irish climate,so just using them as a natural clematis frames , which is better than letting them go to waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Planted 100 trees so far, all peaches sulking in the Irish climate,so just using them as a natural clematis frames , which is better than letting them go to waste.

Ouch! must have cost a bit to learn that lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

I grew them when I lived in London. You need to shelter them from November till end of May. Leave a gap at the bottom of shelter to allow pollination. The trick is keeping them dry to stop fungal growth, remove any dead leaves from around the base.

I also grew Kiwi's, they were very successful.

Not sure if we get enough sun to ripen the fruit here.

Advertisement