Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Debit - Can't pay MBNA! (Laser always worked!)

Options
  • 02-06-2012 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

While I am delighted that I can now use my Visa Debit card online, and that it's more flexible than Visa, I have discovered that I can't make an online payment to MBNA with it! They only accept Laser.

Given that Bank of Ireland are now actively replacing Laser and AIB will follow very soon, MBNA would want to seriously get a move on and update their website and phone payment system!

I just thought I'd post as a word of warning to anyone who usually pays MBNA by Laser who has had a replacement card sent out from BOI. You would really want to setup MBNA on internet banking and allow a few days to clear as you might incur accidental late payment fees if you suddenly discover they won't take Visa Debit payment!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Yeah it's a bummer, my local credit union will only accept Laser cards for loan repayments. Visa and Mastercard are no-go - Visa Debit and Mastercard prepaid included.

I imagine most places like the CU and MBNA don't accept credit card (for obvious reasons) but they're going to need to find a way to differentiate Visa Debit and Visa Credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The ability is already there to distinguish between them, they just need to implement it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What about paying with an electronic transfer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    What about paying with an electronic transfer?

+1 i find this the easiest way to pay them. Give their customer care a call and get the details set up as a payee on your current account.

And as a BOI customer it will help towords your 9 quarterly internet transfers which will help you qualify for free banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

MBNA have no issue accepting UK Visa Debit and have done for years.

The ability to distinguish them is rather easily implemented, and almost all retailers will do that to avoid paying credit card handling fees anyway.

The first 4 digits of the card identify that it's an Irish debit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

Solair wrote: »
    MBNA have no issue accepting UK Visa Debit and have done for years.

The ability to distinguish them is rather easily implemented, and almost all retailers will do that to avoid paying credit card handling fees anyway.

The first 4 digits of the card identify that it's an Irish debit card.

The problem lies with MBNA - they need to update their systems to accept the new card. :)

Advertisement