Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England V Belgium 5:15pm ITV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ConorSTF

Looking forward to this. Nothing better to do with the weather anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I think Belgium can be a pretty good team in the future if they can find a decent striker and a good coach. Them and Switzerland could be the new up and coming European teams for the next 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Belgium team is very good on paper but apparently there's a split in the camp between players from the north and south of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Paully D wrote: »
    The Belgium team is very good on paper but apparently there's a split in the camp between players from the north and south of the country.

Walloons -v- Flemish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

#ENG Hart - Johnson, Cahill, Terry, Cole - Parker, Milner - Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gerrard, Young - Welbeck

#BEL Mignolet - Gillet, Kompany, Vermaelen, Vertonghen - Fellaini, Dembele - Mertens, Witsel, Mirallas - Hazard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

looking forward to seeing Hazard play. Will Lukaku start up top for The Belgians?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

V9 wrote: »
    looking forward to seeing Hazard play. Will Lukaku start up top for The Belgians?

Hazard will lead the line playing as a false no.9

______

Is this Welbeck's first start for England?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Really looking forward to seeing Hazard :D

But also the rest of the Belgian team,what an exciting young team they have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Belgium team: Mignolet, G Gillet, Vertonghen, Kompany (c), Vermaelen, Mertens, Witsel, Mirallas, Hazard, Fellaini, Dembele.

That Dembele fella is a chelsea target too isnt he? Lets see how he links up with Hazard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Should be a decent game...

Probably won't be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Not that I care, but if Andy Carroll starts ahead of Danny Welbeck in the first two games then England should be laughed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Is that actually true tho? Seems a bit of a cliche like the way one hears stories about how the Dutch team has supposedly always had infighting between the black guys and the white guys.

I wonder do other countries talk about factions in the Irish team? eg between players born in the Republic and our UK players like Gibson and McClean. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Not that I care, but if Andy Carroll starts ahead of Danny Welbeck in the first two games then England should be laughed at.

Why? It's not like there is that much between the two, Carroll, despite having a shíte season, has more of a presence than Welbeck. If Caroll can play in any way, shape or form like he did for the half an hour he was on in the FA cup final then I'd have him ahead of Welbeck every day of the week. I'd have Rooney and Welbeck up top because they are club mates and know how each other play, saving Carroll for when you get desperate in the last half hour of a match. When Rooney's missing though, I'd probably go with Carroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

kitakyushu wrote: »

Is that actually true tho? Seems a bit of a cliche like the way one hears stories about how the Dutch team has supposedly always had infighting between the black guys and the white guys.

I wonder do other countries talk about factions in the Irish team? eg between players born in the Republic and our UK players like Gibson and McClean. :pac:

Nah its a generally a person from Cork / everyone else split in our camp :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Kompany is supposed to have gotten injured in the warm up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Belgium for the win. Should be a decent game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Will we be getting regular Hawkeye visualizations when it comes to shots, crosses and long passes today I wonder?

Would be great to see, very similar to cricket coverage, where the ball would have ended up had it not been blocked, deflected, swerved etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Kompany injured in the warm up

I hope England play a bit better than that game v Norway. It was like watching paint dry.

Belgium for the win. Should be a decent game.

Lots of people were predicting Belgium for the win when it came to the Euros. Didn't even qualify in the end.

2-1 win to England I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hazard hat trick :pac:

England haven't lost a final pre-tournament friendly since 1990. Tho it probably helps when you're cherry picking some fairly bad opposition on the whole.

653  22.05.1990 Wembley         Uruguay          1- 2

683  03.06.1992 Helsinki        Finland          2- 1   

718  23.05.1996 Beijing         China            3- 0

743  29.05.1998 Casablanca      Belgium          0- 0 

765  03.06.2000 Ta'Qali         Malta            2- 1 

787  26.05.2002 Kobe            Cameroon         2- 2

810  05.06.2004 Manchester      Iceland          6- 1

834  03.06.2006 Manchester      Jamaica          6- 0

...  30.05.2010 Graz            Japan            2 - 1

If England win this game expectations will reach fever pitch.

If England win this game expectations will reach fever pitch.

Really? Or are you just drawing on tired stereotypes?

Expectation in Ireland is far higher than in England even though Ireland have a considerably tougher group. I know there is a lot on in Britain at the moment what with the Jubilee and the Olympics, but on the whole the population of Engand seemed to have been hardly caught up in the pre-tournament events and emotions at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

ceegee wrote: »
    Nah its a generally a person from Cork / everyone else split in our camp :)

Ah I see,thats why the Irish team has no players from Cork in it.

Ah I see,thats why the Irish team has no players from Cork in it.

Great bit of management by Trap there.

Good luck Mignolet. What a great couple of years he's had. 23 years old and he's played 50 Premier League games and became Belgium's first choice :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Great bit of management by Trap there.

Is it?

Considering over 500,000 people live there.Would have given us a bit more inclusion so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Hazard to score anytime and Belguim to win. 20/1 worth a tenner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Should be a good game, Belgium shot themselves in the foot in qualifying for the Euros. Conceded very late goals against Azerbaijan and Austria which cost them. Looking forward to seeing Hazard and maybe Lukaku might get a few minutes. Any pace at all will test Cahill and Terry, but still, hopefully a good England performance, not bothered about the win, the tournament is when it counts. Incidentally, hate the red badge on the shirt, hopefully they will go back to the old badge after this shirt.

They keep saying the officials won't be involved with the goal line tech, so if there is a close call today the tech won't actually be used to make the right call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Heard this Hazard lad aint bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

As an an arsenal fan im looking forward to see Alex oxalade chamberlain playing.Delighted to see him get a start!

Belgium have started well with some nice passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

6 year since Crouch scored a hat trick v Jamaica, hard to believe 6 years :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

At least he shot....I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Good few Belgians in the crowd considering its only a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Why does it sound like the Wembley crowd are cheering for Belgium?

I actually think the commentators faux low expectations are more annoying than the usual 'we're going to win it' stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

What a ****

• Advertisement

Hart very poor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Subtlety is clearly not Mertens' strong point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

even though the whistle had gone he did some job getting it in from that angle to be fair!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I actually think the commentators faux low expectations are more annoying than the usual 'we're going to win it' stuff.

Only because it means that people have to find another reason to give to their dislike of England :pac:

bwatson wrote: »
    Only because it means that people have to find another reason to give to their dislike of England :pac:

I just stick to first principles and let the poor quality of their football be the reason.

I just stick to first principles and the quality of their football be the reason.

Is this the reason most Irish fans decide to support an English club then? A dislike of unattractive football?

Or maybe just because it's really annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That annoys me so much. The Belgian guy shoved Cahill in the back with both hands obviously trying to make him clatter into Hart, Cahill did and then the Belgian guy comes over with the fake concern for him.

Hope he gets a good kick up the hole.

Is this the reason most Irish fans decide to support an English club then? A dislike of unattractive football?

I've no idea. You'd have better luck asking people who fit that description.

Who the **** is Azar? :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement