Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England V Belgium 5:15pm ITV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

England will definitely do a 'Greece 2004' to try to win the Euros.

It's a sensible approach. After decades of thinking they're a good team they appear to have finally recognised their limitations and found a different way to win a tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

kitakyushu wrote: »
    It's a sensible approach. After decades of thinking they're a good team they appear to have finally recognised their limitations and found a different way to win a tournament.

I think so. Cole and Rooney are the only two you could really put in the 'world class' category.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

It's not like England always had poor players, this group is shocking though

Having my dinner in Captain Americas . Only took them an hour to realise how to get Itv on sky Digital .

You should have gone to Captain Britains.

Terry's off to see Jag's wife now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Belgium look like they are a striker and a left-back away from being a top team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

You think that the England team of Italia 90, or Euro 96 wouldn't even be called good sides? Despite the fact they reached the semi finals on both occasions? There is a serious chip on your shoulder :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Belgium finally have a striker about 70 minutes too late.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think so. Cole and Rooney are the only two you could really put in the 'world class' category.

Joe Hart perhaps?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Owen_S wrote: »
    Belgium look like they are a striker and a left-back away from being a top team.

Was thinking the exact same thing. If they dont find a striker they are destined to go the way of Portugal's "golden generation"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

bwatson wrote: »
    You think that the England team of Italia 90, or Euro 96 wouldn't even be called good sides? Despite the fact they reached the semi finals on both occasions? There is a serious chip on your shoulder :)

I hope you're going to be performing regularly during the Euro matches.

96 side was good. 90 side was just more of the usual rubbish and fortunate to play someone like Cameroon in the quarters rather than the usual Brazil/Arg/Germany etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

We got a bleeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

You wouldn't call Gerrard world class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

It seems the days when Cole and Johnson were allowed to gallop forward are gone.

This England team is very poor, there is absolutely no creativity in there bar Young but he just looks disinterested most of the time. The back 4 and keeper look solid but that's about it.

I have a feeling England won't even make it out of the group stage. France should beat them if they can drop Evra and get Koscielny in there at the heart of their defence.

Gillet so unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Turned it off to catch the last half hour of rattatouille.

Bad game of ball neither side impressive. Hazard was quiet was hoping to see what the hype was about but he's apparently quiet for Belgium anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Nope. He was one time but his best days are long long behind him.

Gerrard is nowhere near world class anymore. He is capable of world class performances but they are few and far between.

This is coming from a Liverpool fan by the way.

• Advertisement

We got a bleeder.

I'll be disappointed if Lescott doesn't resemble Terry Butcher in Sweden by FT.

Joe Hart perhaps?

No - behind Casillas, Buffon and Neuer, for me.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I hope you're going to be performing regularly during the Euro matches.

Performing? No performing from me. I simply wondered why teams who finish in the final four in a tournament don't even merit being called a good side.

No - behind Casillas, Buffon and Neuer, for me.
    So you think he's the 4th best keeper in the world, but not world class?

Has Rooney touched the ball yet? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Has Rooney touched the ball yet? :confused:

Yes he has :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

nuxxx wrote: »
    Yes he has :eek:

Yep, there is is now with it.

So you think he's the 4th best keeper in the world, but not world class?

In Europe - he is probably 4th best, just a bit short of it. Still, he is very important to England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Turned it off to catch the last half hour of rattatouille.

Bad game of ball neither side impressive. Hazard was quiet was hoping to see what the hype was about but he's apparently quiet for Belgium anyways.

I'd expect players like him to be quiet in friendlies before a big tournament. He is a certain starter so no need to over-exert himself and risk an injury. It's players who are looking to get a start that need to put the effort in in friendlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

I'd expect players like him to be quiet in friendlies before a big tournament. He is a certain starter so no need to over-exert himself and risk an injury. It's players who are looking to get a start that need to put the effort in in friendlies.

Belgium didn't qualify though so it's a nothing game for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Belgium didn't qualify for the euros so that theory doesn't apply to Hazard.

Hes just being a lazy shít ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Lukaku = idiot.

(unless he was on, in which case I apologise profusely :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Lukaku = idiot.

For being wrongly judged offside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I am just checking score on Yahoo! and I was wondering why Belgium were not making any subs! Guess he is in that 'last day of school before summer holidays' mood so! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Typical Hodgson performance. Play to strengths, difficult to break down, not often many goals either way. Job done, I suppose. It's not pretty but England have a much better chance of being successful playing this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Paully D wrote: »
    Typical Hodgson performance. Play to strengths, difficult to break down, not often many goals either way. Job done, I suppose. It's not pretty but England have a much better chance of being successful playing this way.

Correct

2 games, 2 wins, 2 goals, 2 clean sheets

Solid and unspectacular

If you play like that against Spain, you will get found out eh Roy? :confused: I seem to remember England playing exactly like that against Spain a few months ago, and not conceding a goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If you play like that against Spain, you will get found out eh Roy? :confused: I seem to remember England playing exactly like that against Spain a few months ago, and not conceding a goal!

While it's true they won the game....did you watch it? Spain had about a dozen brilliant chances and the ball just didn't go in. 9 times out of 10 they would have scored atleast 2 goals. It was just one of those days. England played well defensively and still got cut open repeatedly. Thats what happens when you defend deep. You concede chances against the best teams. But the ball didn't go in. It happens. Occassionally the better team just doesn't score.

Will Welbeck get the nod for the France game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,593 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Kirby wrote: »
    While it's true they won the game....did you watch it? Spain had about a dozen brilliant chances and the ball just didn't go in. 9 times out of 10 they would have scored atleast 2 goals. It was just one of those days. England played well defensively and still got cut open repeatedly. Thats what happens when you defend deep. You concede chances against the best teams. But the ball didn't go in. It happens. Occassionally the better team just doesn't score.

I watched the game and thought Spain were reasonably poor and were never really allowed get into a rhythm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Possibility that Cahill has a fractured jaw. If it rules him out then Hodgson has got to draft in Richards. Jones can cover CB/DM then.

Actually wait, England have 8 defenders so they should be alright. Possibly a better midfielder, if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Possibility that Cahill has a fractured jaw. If it rules him out then Hodgson has got to draft in Richards. Jones can cover CB/DM then.

Actually wait, England have 8 defenders so they should be alright. Possibly a better midfielder, if possible.

Downing is the answer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Like watching Ireland under Jackie or Trap often enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

"OptaJoe: 6 - Eden Hazard created six goalscoring chances today, twice as many as any England player. Introduction."

Well well well.

https://twitter.com/...986858556882944

"OptaJoe: 6 - Eden Hazard created six goalscoring chances today, twice as many as any England player. Introduction."

Well well well.

https://twitter.com/...986858556882944
    He also scored 0 goals, which is one less than Danny Welbeck.

Welbeck >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hazard.

:D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

He also scored 0 goals, which is one less than Danny Welbeck.

Welbeck >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hazard.

:D:pac:

He's not a striker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Personally thought Lukaku looked quite sharp when he came on, definitely keen anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

He's not a striker!

Ashley Young: Assists: 1

Eden Hazard: Assists: 0

Young>>>>>>>>>>Hazard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Saw last 20 minutes of the game. First time seeing Hazzard, he was quiet enough until near the end from what the commentator said. He looked ok, he's certainly not the next Messi anyways as some people have been saying. In fairness to him, he was playing with a very average Belgium side, and when Felaini is one of your attackers up front, its very hard for Hazzard as players like Messi are only as good as those they play along side allow them to be, ie good service, one-twos, etc with the likes of Xavi. He's very quick though, which can only be a good thing, and he seems intelligent enough. Let's see how he does in the Premiership.

Advertisement