Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a bigger place

• 02-06-2012 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

<P> </P>
    <P>This is for my mate who going through a tough time and ask me to see if there anybody that have the same experince as to what he is going through at the moment.</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>My friend's situation is.....he is single, early 40s, have a child and a reasonable friendship with the mother at times. The child lives with her mother who is working and lives in her own house. He lives in a bedsit and is unemployed.</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>He had applied for a bigger place so he can get her daughter to stay with her during weekends, his place is not fit enough for a stay over for a child. His application for a council house/apartment had been rejected on the grounds which im not sure and didnt want to get into with him. </P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>He is claiming social welfare at the moments and get couple other things such as rent allowance, fuel allowance blah blah.</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>Does anybody know of anybody in the same sitaution as he in...is there some sort of a barrier for fathers????</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>Any info would be grateful...</P>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

OP there is no barrier against fathers, I have no idea why his application was rejected but as the child is not living with him full time the council are under no obligation to house him in a place with room for his daughter.

It takes years in most parts of the country to get a council property and even then most single people are last on the list and will never get a house but may get a apartment.

You said he is getting rent allowance, therefore if he wants his daughter to stay over then he finds a suitable place like a flat and if he has to give up his bedroom to his daughter at the weekends while he takes the couch then that is what he does.

The council are not out to get people they try to provide help to those who need it most and a single man who does not have full time custody of his child is not the most needy.

Maybe your friend could get a job lets say that way they could afford a bigger place and therefore a room for his kid to stay over at weekends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

My son lives with me every week and over all holidays.
    I am no entitled to claim rent allowance for anything other than a single person without a child. I was however given an exception to the new rental limits so that i could rent somewhere over the single person rate once I agreed to pay the balance. I now pay €60 a week, not the normal contribution of €30. Its the only way I was able to move somewhere big enough for my son to stay so regularly. Your friend might be able to rent somewhere big enough but he would probably have to pay the balance. All can say is that if your friend is unhappy with any decision made, that he can appeal it. When it comes to issues like this written backup is necessary, explaining why you need the bigger place. In this country you need to get as many people in your corner before somethings can be moved forward. I wish your friend well, chin up and keep fighting your corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

Rent supplement for a bigger place will only be given if there is legal joint equal custody in place. Having the child every second weekend or the odd night during the week isn't enough. The agreement must be signed off by the courts and the child must for example spend every alternate week with each parent.

Advertisement