Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water trickle travelling through water meter?

• 02-06-2012 3:41pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

hi Folks,

had a leaking mains pipe underground and fixed it. All grand but if I look at the water meter at the mains coming into the house, there are a few dials. None are visibly moving but there is a tiny cogwheel also on the dial and this moves for a second then stops then moves again after a few secs. I know the amont must be very minimal, but how much is it really? I check early in the morning when nothing is moving in the house. There is no water trickle running in the toilet. Tanks upstairs are all dead still and no ballcock mopvement. All taps etc are secure. What can it be@? And how much water is it an can such a small amount be bad?

Any help appreciated,

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have seen meters with the outlet blanked off completely, and the meter still moving.
    They can be faulty or you could have a leak somewhere.

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

tks CJ,

thing is the meters are all brand new. Installed only in feb this year. I put in a stop cock on the mains line where the leak was. when this is closed the meter stops dead.When its open you have the movement I described above.
    How much water is this do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I would say you have another, albeit small, leak somewhere. I had 3 on my system, although they were all on a long run from the meter to where they enter the cottage.

The last one caused a similar movement on my meter as you describe on yours. I ended up running a new mains from the meter to the cottage and have put stop cocks and isolating valves on all appliances.

Are you 100% sure the you describe repair was sound? There are only 2 possible causes. A faulty meter or a leaky pipe. You have to ask yourself which is the one that is easier to check first and do that. Its a pain but has to be done as it is likely it will only get worse.

TT

Advertisement