Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting scene in park today.

Options
  • 02-06-2012 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Been today with a friend in park, she saw it as well so I am sure I am not having illusions :D
    In park near Drumcondra, has a river going through it towards stadium. It has like 10-15 metre high walls, all with spikes and other safety stuff, fences on windows so I assume it's prison.
    There was a policeman patrolling on bicycle (they are always there, this time he was behind building so couldn't see him).
    Interesting scene:
    Was with friend talking to her about stuff, then out of sudden hearing loud whistles I turn around and see a guy on bicycle rushing fast, drops off bike at the huge wall, takes a small plastic bag, and with right hand starts taking something out of it, first I wanted to grab my friend and go away as I thought he might've been pulling a handgun out to shoot garda (you know, just automatic reaction to hazard :D ), but he took out 2 white small packages (about 20x10x10 cm) and threw them over the fence quickly, the garda drove on bicycle to him dropped off and guy didnt' run, just gave up put his hands up, got arrested, the policeman said on radio something and garda car arrived, took him in and another policeman got out of car and took guys bike as evidence, they checked fence just in case he didn't throw it over (but he did) and went, on way out of park guys from cells in building were shouting words like scumbags, rats, fags, and stuff like that.
    I was there and clearly saw everything and was surprised how come policeman didn't come up and asked for witness report or something, I thought they always do that? or was it some kind of security measure.

Any ideas what he could've thrown over? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It was most likely drugs. It's fairly common. Alot of prisons have a large net above their play area outside to stop drugs being thrown over if it's near a public area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

It was most likely drugs. It's fairly common. Alot of prisons have a large net above their play area outside to stop drugs being thrown over if it's near a public area.

It sure seemed like a stupid idea, I wonder will the guy be sentenced or not for this, sounds like a pretty serious offense.

just checked map, it's a mountjoy prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Definitely sounds like the carry on that takes place outside Mountjoy. Associates of the inmates throw stuff over the walls to them. Drugs, cigarettes, knives, razor blades, mobile phones & chargers are the most usual stuff to get tossed over. Common enough racket, hence the boys in blue patrolling outside. There is supposed to be a net on the inside of the wall to intercept this stuff, but I don't know how successful it is, given the reputation of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

arleitiss wrote: »
    just checked map, it's a mountjoy prison.

It happens there all the time.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0822/mountjoy.html
    Last year (2009 I'm guessing), gardai arrested 75 people in one day for throwing drugs into Mountjoy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

It sure seemed like a stupid idea, I wonder will the guy be sentenced or not for this, sounds like a pretty serious offense.

Probably not. It suits the authorities to have a lot of inmates zonked out of their heads - and passive and docile - most of the time. If the supply of drugs was seriously disrupted, they'd have riots on their hands and the overpaid screws would most likely have to do a lot more work than now.:):)

oh, well that was quite a unusual start of my day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

OP, if you were to have a wild guess to what it was. What would you have guessed?

OP, if you were to have a wild guess to what it was. What would you have guessed?

A packed/bag of flour :D but in this situation I guess cocaine as I never seen it in reality but only heard it's white.

A packed/bag of flour :D but in this situation I guess cocaine as I never seen it in reality but only heard it's white.

Ah....Interesting.

Did you know cocaine is mixed with baking powder to make it into a larger quintitey. (I misspelt the last word)

• Advertisement

Ah....Interesting.

Did you know cocaine is mixed with baking powder to make it into a larger quintitey. (I misspelt the last word)

How was I supposed to know that? :D I am staying out of this **** nor have ever been interested in it. :)

How was I supposed to know that? :D I am staying out of this **** nor have ever been interested in it. :)

I never said you should know that, Its just an interesting fact. But are you assuming im into "that" sorta thing? Because im not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Definitely a package for one of the inmates - most likely drugs. It's a common practice in Mountjoy. When the inmates have yard time, their friends from outside or whatever do exactly what you saw today in the hope of getting the goods to the inmates. It often fails but it will also have a fair degree of success.

Nothing new I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Ex-girlfriend used to live beside the prison walls,used to be at least 50+ lads a day throwing stuff over the walls into the prison without any Gardai stoping them.The lad you saw being caught is just a drop in the ocean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Surely it can't be that difficult to put up nets. :confused:
    If they have nets they aren't working if it's still going on

It wouldn't even cost that much to do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

In the terrible condition that Mountjoy is in,it's easier to keep the lads drugged up and calm rather then coming off the gear cold turkey all stressed and potentially violent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Surely it can't be that difficult to put up nets. :confused:
    If they have nets they aren't working if it's still going on

It wouldn't even cost that much to do

Cost €250k last time they put in nets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

They covered the yard with nets etc after the RA landed a helicopter in it and busted out three prisoners in the seventies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ellis Dee wrote: »

Probably not. It suits the authorities to have a lot of inmates zonked out of their heads - and passive and docile - most of the time. If the supply of drugs was seriously disrupted, they'd have riots on their hands and the overpaid screws would most likely have to do a lot more work than now.:):)

Do people actually believe this student crap?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

arleitiss where abouts in skangerireland do you live?

• Advertisement
Advertisement