Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old laptop HD into external device?

Options
  • 02-06-2012 4:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I have a broken laptop [Sony Vaio] with a 300 gig HD in it, the screen has been smashed and several other things are wrong with it but the HD is still fine in it. I also have a brand new laptop and I want to get all my information from the old HD to the new one or preferrably I want to put it into an external HD and use it throught the USB port on my new laptop.

Is it possible, not sure what size it is, 2.5 or 3.5 etc, no idea. Can I go an buy some sort of device that allows me to slide the old HD into and use my new laptop to browse the files on it, do I have to buy an external HD and take out the HD and put my old one into it, will it even work?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Sholden

FearDark wrote: »
    Hi guys. I have a broken laptop [Sony Vaio] with a 300 gig HD in it, the screen has been smashed and several other things are wrong with it but the HD is still fine in it. I also have a brand new laptop and I want to get all my information from the old HD to the new one or preferrably I want to put it into an external HD and use it throught the USB port on my new laptop.

Is it possible, not sure what size it is, 2.5 or 3.5 etc, no idea. Can I go an buy some sort of device that allows me to slide the old HD into and use my new laptop to browse the files on it, do I have to buy an external HD and take out the HD and put my old one into it, will it even work?

Thanks.
    I think what you are looking for is called a HDD docking station.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TomGalway

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002OV1VJW
    One of these docking leads - got one last week for my laptop as was broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

you can buy external HD enclosures. It's probably a 2.5"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭little swift

this is what i use

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ca/review/1916136/review-maplin-usb-sata-ide-combo-adapter

just take the hard drive out hook it up and your good to go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Thanks guys, ordered one of those leads from amazon :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭little swift

FearDark wrote: »
    Thanks guys, ordered one of those leads from amazon :)

glad we could help , and a good thing about the adapter is you dont need the power suply for the laptop hard drive usb power will do.:)

Advertisement