Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxygen

Options
  • 02-06-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭

Well rip -off Ireland is alive and well in the Oxigen Environmental run Ballydonagh Landfill in Athlone. Last year we filled the back of the car up with our rubbish and were charged €12, in October the price rose to €20 an increase of 60%. I wasn't happy but had no choice but to pay.  Today I went again and this time was told to go on the weigh bridge and was subsequently charged €35 for the same amount of rubbish in the back of our car, this represents an increase of almost 300% in 9months. An absolute disgrace and again with no choice but to pay. Needless to say I won't be going back. I would to know how this company can justify this exorbitant price increase. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The landfill levy has been steadily increasing - it went from €30.00 per tonnne to €50.00 per tonne in September 2011. That's a 66% increase which was in line with the October one you mentioned.

I'd say though this time around you were not classified as a normal domestic car sized waste. Did they tell you why you were directed to the weigh bridge etc ?

The reason why it is getting more expensive is as a deterrent from actually using the landfill - and instead encouraging more recycling.

Just a quick edit -
    Oxigen Environmental operate a household residual waste facility at Ballydonagh, (between Athlone & Moate). Tel: 090 6475775

Waste disposal charges are set by the operator and the current rates apply:

Refuse Bag €5.00 ; 240lt Wheelie Bin €14. ; Car Boot €20 ; All other vehicles will be weighed at a rate of €220 per tonne.

This facility accepts: household waste; bulky items; wood; metals; construction & demolition waste.

Seems the €20 charge applies to a car boot full of rubbish. Was that all you had or was it a folded down seats / stuffed car ? The last time you were charged €20 was it any less volume wise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Breaking news, dumping stuff in the ground costs more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

What I can't understand is if it is €50 per tonne then how could I fit 700kgs (€35) in the back of a starlet, it's obviously way more than €50 per tonne, bearing in mind I was always charged for a car boot all the times I was there before, which is just €20. Ironically we recycle everything and bring our waste to the Landfill in order to be more environmentally friendly but it seems with the new increases coming down the line we have been forced back into using the local waste company. Yet another stealth tax brought in by the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

patmac wrote: »
    What I can't understand is if it is €50 per tonne then how could I fit 700kgs (€35) in the back of a starlet, it's obviously way more than €50 per tonne, bearing in mind I was always charged for a car boot all the times I was there before, which is just €20. Ironically we recycle everything and bring our waste to the Landfill in order to be more environmentally friendly but it seems with the new increases coming down the line we have been forced back into using the local waste company. Yet another stealth tax brought in by the government.

How can you recycle your waste and take it to a landfill.?

The whole idea is not to! The idea is to reuse it somehow, not stick it in the ground !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

patmac wrote: »

The €50 levy is the tax on landfill. Total total charge is €220 per ton.

You see, the staff at these places need to get paid, they also have to have a lot of environmetal controls at landfills which also cost money and they are a business and therefore must make a reasonable profit on their investment. Land costs money. machines cost money too.

At the end of the day, it costs money to rid ourselves of waste and I am an absolute firm believer in the user pays principal.

Possibly did you have the seats down and they regarded it as more than just a boot full?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

How can you recycle your waste and take it to a landfill.?

The whole idea is not to! The idea is to reuse it somehow, not stick it in the ground !!!

When I say recycle waste I mean cans, plastic et, timber all sorted out and driven 15 miles to the recycling centre. Whilst I understand that recycling costs money and Oxygen needs to make a profit the increase from €12 to €35 is pretty substantial and came as a bit of a shock, especially in these difficult times.

Advertisement