Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to study medicene

Options
  • 02-06-2012 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi guys

I'm currently a 3rd year student in a B.A course and not really interested in it to be honest but i'm going to stick it out to finish it as I only have 1 year left. If i wanted to study medicine would i have to re-sit the LC and i only studied 1 science subject and got a D1?

or if i applied as a graduate would i have a high chance of being accepted as my degree has nothing whatsoever to do with anything science related

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

dorito92 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I'm currently a 3rd year student in a B.A course and not really interested in it to be honest but i'm going to stick it out to finish it as I only have 1 year left. If i wanted to study medicine would i have to re-sit the LC and i only studied 1 science subject and got a D1?

or if i applied as a graduate would i have a high chance of being accepted as my degree has nothing whatsoever to do with anything science related

Check the matriculation (entry) requirements for the various colleges. Most of them require minimum grades in one or two science subjects. Even if you apply via the mature student route you still have to meet these basic requirements.

If you get a 2.1 in your degree, then you can sit the GAMSAT and apply for Graduate Entry medicine. Whether you are accepted or not is based solely on your GAMSAT result, but you do need the 2.1 for any of the irish colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

thanks so much :) not sure what to do now :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

not sure what to do now :confused:

Let's start at the beginning with the requirements:

You say that you're going to stick out the last year of the degree. So to keep GAMSAT in the picture, you're going to need a 2.1 or higher.

Do you think that's possible? How has it being going so far? :)

Then for LC; How many points do you have? We'll have to check the individual requirements regarding science grades etc., but if you need more points, you're looking at doing the LC again anyway.

You'll need all the matriculation requirements in one sitting (I'd advise Ordinary Level English, and then ordinary level Irish, Maths, European language if you're not very comfortable with them).
    And it looks like you'll be needing the HPAT too.

Where do you live and where would you like to attend medschool?

And last, but very importantly, you will be paying for your medical degree. Do you know yet how you'd fund it?

Albection wrote: »
    I'd advise Ordinary Level English

By the way, the only reason I single this out as definitely for Ordinary level is because of the size of the course and the amount that must be studied anew for each year's Paper 2.

Ha! That rhymes. : )

Thanks for your reply :) You have put things in perspective and yeah the only way is to resit the LC which isn't impossible as i did good for someone who did NO study for it. living in ireland and would prefer to study in Cork but anywhere in Ireland is fine. Yeah at the moment if i put the work in i could get a 2.1 but at the same time like the user said above ^ i stiill dont have the science entry requirements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Thanks for your reply :) You have put things in perspective and yeah the only way is to resit the LC which isn't impossible as i did good for someone who did NO study for it. living in ireland and would prefer to study in Cork but anywhere in Ireland is fine. Yeah at the moment if i put the work in i could get a 2.1 but at the same time like the user said above ^ i stiill dont have the science entry requirements

Just to clarify:

Mature entry has the LC science entry requirements.

Graduate entry requires a 2.1 degree, and places are allocated solely on the marks obtained in the GAMSAT.

Cork is a good choice (they all are actually, even from my very limited experience as a student with doctors of varying seniority from different medical schools, it seems quite obvious that they're all as good as each other).

Cork has both the undergrad program and the graduate school so you're catered for both routes that you can take. I'd advise coming to the Open Day next year to speak with the medical school if you need any specific advice.

As above, you only need to resit the LC if you want to go into the 5 (or 6 in some places) undergrad course. If you want to for the graduate entry, you're only looking to go in with GAMSAT and your 2.1.

So, obviously the next big focus is on your degree. Even if you don't use the graduate entry route, keeping it open is important.

After that, I'm not really sure how to advise you. You'd need to pick either the LC (& HPAT) or GAMSAT and give it everything you have. But I'm really not sure which one is better for you (at the end of the day, you'll be an equally fine doctor with either training).

Would you have any preference yourself as to which way you'd like to get in?

Thanks guys for your replies. Going to focus on my current degree at the moment, see if i get the results i need and if im still interested in medicine as i have a keen interest in dermatology. Are you both studying it at the moment? how is it?

Thanks guys for your replies. Going to focus on my current degree at the moment, see if i get the results i need and if im still interested in medicine as i have a keen interest in dermatology. Are you both studying it at the moment? how is it?

I've just finished 4th med so am due to become a final med in August (provided I pass the exams etc. etc.)

It's ok, to be honest. Lot of pressure at times, but the constant reminder that the worst is yet to come does kind of keep things in perspective. Up to a point, at least. There are more than a few moments of "oh dear god, I can't do this, I'm far too stupid" but they pass. :)

But overall, it's a nice thing for those who want it.

Best of luck with everything!! The hard work really does pay off in the end though

• Advertisement
Advertisement