Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFERRY: CC bookings not refundable

Options
  • 02-06-2012 4:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

lads,

I just cancelled a booking yesterday on a ferry to Ireland. had to cancel as my ankle ligaments are damaged from a fall.

I emailed aferry after i called to send me an email to confirm the cancellation.

Got an email back today to say your booking is cancelled with no refund.
    ughhh.

so I called and they said no refund on credit card bookings, this is the first i heard of it.

I told her there was not mention of cc payments being not refundable on the web site, and not a mention on the email confirmation.

the lady today said i was told yesterday when i called that it was not refundable and also if i wanted to change my dates.

this is the first of it i have heard, could not hear the woman yesterday very well. I asked her at the end what is the fee for cancellation and she said £25gbp, i assumed then that it was cancelled and i would get my booking fee back minus the £25 admin fee.

even today when i was told no refund they would not change dates for me as they said it was cancelled.

I think this is ridiculous.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

The Travel Gateway Ltd will charge a minimum fee of £25/?40 per booking for all amendments or cancellations prior to departure in addition to any charges by the ferry operator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

there's no mention of CC bookings being non refundable on the website and/or on email conformation.

ryanair have this, which makes it clear cut.

All Ryanair fares are fully changeable in respect of flight/dates/times/routes and names up to 4 hours before the flight departure time via the Manage My Booking section of the website. However air fares, fees and/or charges are non-refundable.
    If you do not use your booked flight, the fare, fees and charges are non-refundable but you may apply in writing within one month of the date of original travel for the refund of the Government Tax paid. Government tax refunds are subject to an administration fee. click here for fee details. If the refund amount is less than the applicable administration fee, no refund will be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭andrewg82

seems harsh....i had the same trouble with a car rental company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

ring the bank and reverse the payment

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

what ferry company and didn't you agree to T&C's online when placing the booking?

• Advertisement

the lady on the phone today told me when i made the booking i checked a box for t&c that mentioned cc bookings non refundable.

well they sure as hell made it very clear if thats the case.

i got a phone call from them today after i sent a complaint email, i can have my dates changed now. no word on a refund.

booking any dates in advance is always a risk but its all i can do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Q. Will you charge me for amending or cancelling my booking?
    A. Yes, we will charge an administration fee for all amendments/cancellations made, where they are allowed in the terms and conditions of the services purchased. The payment of administration fees for providing this service are included in the terms and conditions which you agree to prior to confirming your booking, and unless stated otherwise are normally £25/?40 per amendment. You will also be charged any change in price for the service(s) you have purchased. If the change you are making results in a refund being due to you, the administration fee is taken from the value of that refund.

Cabaal wrote: »
    what ferry company and didn't you agree to T&C's online when placing the booking?

they should have this clear cut on the website and on email confirmations.

end of.

what if a family of 6 book a ferry costing 400gbp.

why they are so discrete about this is not on at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Well, when there was no refund policy displayed on the website, why didn't you presume there were no refunds, instead of assuming you would get one? If you book any service, and then decide not to use it, you are not entitled to a refund unless the service provider allows it. Making assumptions before actually checking is just plain foolish, and never going to end well for you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I booked Stena Line recently and they very clearly give you the option of bookings which can be cancelled or not. The cheaper ones cannot be cancelled, amended or refunded. They would amend when I rang them, on payment of €25 fee, plus the difference in the cost, as it had gone up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

they should have this clear cut on the website and on email confirmations.

end of.

Not really,
    If its listed in the T&C's agreed to and YOU agree to them then you agree that you understand them when placing your booking.
    what if a family of 6 book a ferry costing 400gbp.

why they are so discrete about this is not on at all.

What if, what if, what if?
    Thats not the situation here, the situation is your cancellation not a family of 6's.

If its in the T&C's and you agree to them, you have to ask yourself the question.....why did you agree to them if you didn't bother to read them?

Instead as Jor el rightly pointed out you instead assumed you were due a refund, this assumption is not the companys fault.

You have referenced Ryanair's site here but you still haven't provided the link to the T&C's you agreed to when you made the booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's all moot until we can see the T&Cs that you accepted when making the booking. Only then can we determine if you are due a refund or not.

In general, travel (such as air fares) are not refundable these days. I would have extended this assumption to ferry fares too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

So you will be at the loss of your original fare plus a further €40/£25 cancellation fee for the pleasure of talking to them, where you could have just 'no-showed' and paid no more? Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I have just booked Irish ferries and there is an extra £10 charge for a flexible booking which allows you to change the date. I have taken the chance before and just turned up at the ferry terminal without a booking and caught the next ferry, they are rarely fully booked and there are about 7 crossing a day from Dublin to UK between the 3 companies.

Advertisement