Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer wants to sponsor me!

Options
  • 02-06-2012 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Ok so i have been in Perth for the last 2 months. finally found a job through skilled working in a factory. Been in the position for 4 weeks now. I must of have done something right because they want to sponsor me.

I was shocked and over the moon about it and well obviously i told them yes. The thing is though i went to college and started a computer course and dropped out after 2 years of a 4 year course.\\

Now I'm afraid that if they do sponsor me that they will want the proof that i finished the course when filing out the sponsorship forms. Do i tell them now that i don't have it or wait and see what happens? Obviously i have lied and that my sponsorship is in jeopardy now because they might see me as untrustworthy. It was a bad judgement call which i regret. I only left it on the resume to make my chances of getting a job higher because i needed to get a job.

The computer course doesn't relate to the job I'm at now but it was such a stupid thing to leave it on my resume.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

It depends.

What is the position they are sponsoring you for? What is the exact job title? Do you have another degree/qualification which covers you for it?

My company required a copy of both my degree and masters for the 457 process.

It they are sponsoring you as Office Manager and you have a qualification in Business/Commerce, that may cover you. However, if the IT thing in ANY way led to you getting the job then I'd be upfront about it now.

Also, ask yourself if you can be sure after 4 weeks that this is the company you want to stick with? Remember if you agree and they start the process and it gets approved, you lose your 417 and any months left on it so you are tied to them for FOUR YEARS. I think people forget this and just think - woo sponsorship. (and yes I know you can apply for PR after two but thats still TWO YEARS in company you may end up hating.)

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

A 4 year course? A degree maybe that you claimed to have. That is a pretty big lie.

One of the reasons that companies like to sponsor it that it allows them to lock people in for up to 4 years. And that isn't always the best outcome for the person being sponsored. Choose your sponsor carefully because 4 years is an awful long time. Even 2 years is a long time in a job that you end up resenting.

Whilst the IT qualification might not directly relate to your current job, you said yourself that you included to maximise your chances of getting a job. I think you may need to front up about it, they might not really care and still want to sponsor you.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BabyMonkeyy

The job im at is working in an aluminium factory cutting aluminium and driving a forklift, they also want me to do sales in the front dealing with customers etc and computer work which involves putting the customers details and what they want through there system and invoices etc etc. The course i dropped out of is computer networks which really doesn't have anything to do with the job but still i feel like such an idiot for leaving it on. i really didn't expect to get a sponsorship in oz, so i just left it on to maximize my chances of a job and to make my resume look nice. The job does involve basic computer skills but the degree wasnt a deal breaker and he didnt mention it, they were more interested in the sales experience i had.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The job im at is working in an aluminium factory cutting aluminium and driving a forklift, they also want me to do sales in the front dealing with customers etc and computer work which involves putting the customers details and what they want through there system and invoices etc etc. The course i dropped out of is computer networks which really doesn't have anything to do with the job but still i feel like such an idiot for leaving it on. i really didn't expect to get a sponsorship in oz, so i just left it on to maximize my chances of a job and to make my resume look nice. The job does involve basic computer skills but the degree wasnt a deal breaker and he didnt mention it, they were more interested in the sales experience i had.

Don't worry about it.
    As part of the sponsorship process, you often have to send immigration qualifications that relate to the role. Relevant experience etc. But you won't need to send in qualifications that aren't relevant. They'll want a copy of your CV, so I'd edit out the computer network course from the copy you send to immigration.

Advertisement