Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master's degree in the Eire :) help needed

Options
  • 02-06-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello,

I will be finishing my bachelor's degree in business and management (focus on finance & accounting) very soon and would like to pursue my studies in Dublin. From what I've seen the major college fees for the programmes that I'm interested in are pretty high - roughly about 13k.

Maybe what I should've mentioned first is that in a EU national but not a citizen of Ireland. In terms of admission requirements, the bachelor's degree that I will obtain is from a recognised university and I have some English certifications to back up my knowledge of English as it is not my first language :) so I hope that will be sufficient. If there is anything else that I need please let me know :)

My main concern however is the college fee. As far as I know, Ireland only funds undergraduate students. There is no postgraduate support to my knowledge, maybe some tax relief? So my only guess is that I could get the money from a commercial bank as a loan. Does anyone know if there are special student loans that would either allow me to start paying the loan off after graduating or allow me to spread the installments in such a way that it would be possible to pay from a part time job (while leaving me enough money to pay my living costs)?
    I don't actually want to start studying this year, first I want to find a full time job and settle down a bit a start the study next year (acad. year 2013/2014). Hopefully save up a little and when the time comes transfer to a part time job.

If someone wants to know why I chose Ireland. Well, I worked and lived in Dublin for the duration of 1 year in the past and I really liked it there.

Any info, advice or hints you may have for me is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭andrewg82

college fees are costly with the reccesion scholarships are getting less and less.....i would study elsewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

If you are an EU national, the fees should be about 6k per year. The higher level (i.e. over 10k) is paid by non-EU nationals.

I'm not sure about the loan situation; it would probably be best to get in touch with the specific banks to see what they offer. There is not an overall student loan/graduate tax system in operation here at the minute, but that will most likely change.

It might be a good idea to get in touch with the International Students' office at the college you hope to attend, as they will have loads of info for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DaveX

If you are an EU national, the fees should be about 6k per year. The higher level (i.e. over 10k) is paid by non-EU nationals.

I'm not sure about the loan situation; it would probably be best to get in touch with the specific banks to see what they offer. There is not an overall student loan/graduate tax system in operation here at the minute, but that will most likely change.

It might be a good idea to get in touch with the International Students' office at the college you hope to attend, as they will have loads of info for you :)

thanks for the advice. well for the 3 biggest and probably best colleges in Dublin (TCD, UCD, DCU) it really is that amount unfortunately (for the business areas that is). I'm also considering other options like DBS because it's cheaper but from what I have read TCD would be the best choice as it is the only college which directly co-operates with the CFA institute. As I want to work specifically in investments or portfolio/asset analytics I figured this would be the right choice. I will surely contact the college offices and banks :)

Advertisement