Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 visa- Processing at dublin airport

Options
  • 02-06-2012 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I was justy wonderng does anyone know anything about the process when you get to the airport of travelling to the US. I am on J1 visa for a year and was wondering what they will ask me or any information on what happens, what documents I will get etc... Any help would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Moving from USA Travel to USA Living, as J1 threads go there and OP should get better answers ***

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

It depends on whether you clear immigration in Dublin or the US. If you clear it in Dublin, they will ask you to show all your documentation required to enter the US (visa, DS2019, address you're staying, position etc). If you clear it in the US, they'll only ask you for your boarding pass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

I've been in and out of the US for the past year on a J1 visa. Every time I've gone, I've done my processing in Dublin airport, T2. You'll just need your Passport with J1 visa and your DS 2019 form. You need to know your address in the states too. And what you'll be doing there etc. You'll fill out a customs form (blue one) and a visa form (white one) hand them over to the scary customs person (not really that scary but I've been asked a few questions that I just wasn't sure of the answer to).

If you know where you'll be working etc, bring any of those details (i.e. if you're over on a scholarship (Fulbright etc)) and make sure you leave enough time to get through it. You go through initial security (like others who aren't heading to the states) and into the loop area. You then go on to the us customs pre clearance area, you can be queueing here for over an hour easy if there are lots of people. I think I've queued ten mins a few times, 15 mins another and an hour and a half one time (ended up pretty close to my flight time, got through and they started calling the passengers for my flight to go to a special customs line).

Advertisement