Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland v Norn Iron, 7pm BBC2

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

20 minutes without conceding a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

chughes wrote: »
    Have we ever had a player from the Unionist tradition play for the Republic?

Not sure but Alan Maybury is a Rangers fan I believe, I guess it is possible he could be a Republican Rangers fan of course :pac:... Brian Kerr also supported them but he never played for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Who's that lad playing for NI, Klingon?

He's a midfielder Jim, but not as we know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Hard to believe David Healy hasn't scored in 28/9 games for NI. 4 years ago he banged in 13 in the qualifying stages.

Not really, he's shyte. His 'achievement' of 4 years ago just shows that fluke's can happen in international football too.

6-0 Jon Walters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

6nil;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Amateur defending.

Nice header. 6 - 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

briany wrote: »
    Not that I know of but maybe somebody here could shed light on that. Could imagine the stink that sections of the GAWA would be kicking up if it started happening though?

Alan Kernaghan possibly, he's from an Ulster Protestant background afaik, was working as a coach at Rangers until earlier this year too.

• Advertisement

I'd say Micheal O'Neill is feeling very bad right now for taking that job. Road to nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Affelay's really been improved by his last 2 years at Barca when he hasn't been injured. A few years ago I thought he'd missed his chance. Fast forward to now and I'd start him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Jaysus, Norn Iron will be lucky to get nil the way things are going!

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Jaysus, Norn Iron will be lucky to get nil the way things are going!

Their current XI on the pitch hasn't even scored a goal between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

G'wan the Oranje men! My tip for Euro 2012

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Their current XI on the pitch hasn't even scored a goal between them.

They have now, Healy on, chasing his first since October 08

• Advertisement

We beat the north 5 - 0 last summer. Netherlands beating them 6 - 0. They need a few more ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

"What Northern Ireland takes from this remains to be seen."

Well, they can take from it the fact that their team is utter shíte and stop wondering why players from their jurisdiction are declaring for RoI.

He's a midfielder Jim, but not as we know it.

This post deserves more likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

What position does Klingon play in?
    On the starboard bow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Orangemen scoring a goal for every county in Ulster.

edit: well from their point of view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

The Orangemen scoring a goal for every county in Ulster.

edit: well from their point of view

Is it 9-0?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The BBC commentary is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

highlight of the game from NI so far..
    McGinn nutmegs Kuyt
    & Healy has a weak shot that was ALMOST on target:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Alan Kernaghan possibly, he's from an Ulster Protestant background afaik, was working as a coach at Rangers until earlier this year too.

Correct.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/i-longed-to-play-for-northern-ireland-says-former-republic-star-kernaghan-14565560.html

Let me be the one to say it;
    Dit spel was een honderd procent oranje!

Let me be the one to say it;
    Dit spel was een honderd procent oranje!

That spell was one hundred percent orange?

lol @ the commentator at the end - "that was northern ireland's biggest defeat since..........*long pause*.....*scrub that*":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

"What Northern Ireland takes from this remains to be seen."

Well, they can take from it the fact that their team is utter shíte and stop wondering why players from their jurisdiction are declaring for RoI.

What team is s****...their reserve team against Hollands first XI.
    The Republic's first team would be thumped about 3-0 against this current Dutch side.

We all know the reasons why some players born in Northern Ireland want to play for the Republic...nothing to do with world standings...

That spell was one hundred percent orange?

I knew I should have put the translation underneath :D

It means "This game was 100% orange!" spel like spiel in German = game.

Paul4As wrote: »
    The Republic's first team would be thumped about 3-0 against this current Dutch side.

Yeah but we would have had a shot on target.

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    Yeah but we would have had a shot on target.

Yeah...probably by an ex-Northern Irish youth player! :D

What team is s****...their reserve team against Hollands first XI.

We all know the reasons why some players born in Northern Ireland want to play for the Republic...nothing to do with world standings...

That Dutch team would have the beating of most teams but what's worrying for Northern Ireland was the look of resignation on the players. That lack of resolve is a big problem for this Northern Irish team regardless of whether or not it was a second XI.

That Dutch team would have the beating of most teams but what's worrying for Northern Ireland was the look of resignation on the players. That lack of resolve is a big problem for this Northern Irish team regardless of whether or not it was a second XI.

Well...it is now a few weeks by the end of the season. You could tell that. Was the same last year in the Carling Cup of Nations.
    Hopefully in September we'll be up for our first competitive game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well...it is now a few weeks by the end of the season. You could tell that. Was the same last year in the Carling Cup of Nations.
    Hopefully in September we'll be up for our first competitive game.

I'd have thought a game against the runners up of the last world cup by players looking to gain future caps would have provided more drive.

dsmythy wrote: »
    I'd have thought a game against the runners up of the last world cup by players looking to gain future caps would have provided more drive.

Yeah, you'd think that alright.

When September comes and N.I. are still poor, lacking resolve, could we then all agree that there is a chronic problem with the morale within that team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I'm still waiting for Our Wee Country to approve my registration. Boy I'd be having a laugh now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Much as I like to laugh at Norn Iron's seemingly neverending mediocrity, shur twas only a meaningless end of season friendly. Even the Scots shipped 5 last week. Think the Welsh lost to some minnows as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Watching the build up to the second goal again and Michael Duff rolling around and feigning injury like he'd been shot after committing a foul, can't bear seeing that kind of play acting in the game.

The person I really feel sorry for is James McClean. He could have been playing first team football against Holland today instead of warming the bench at Euro 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

van Marwijk telling it how it is - "The result means very little as they were very poor opponents"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    van Marwijk telling it how it is - "The result means very little as they were very poor opponents"

Ouch.

That's pretty rare isn't it? Managers generally respect opponents, no matter how badly they performed.

In fairness he was being polite by calling them very poor. They could have lost 10-0 and it would have been a fair scoreline.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Ouch.

That's pretty rare isn't it? Managers generally respect opponents, no matter how badly they performed.

It's a kick to the testicles alright. Bad form from the Dutch IMO.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Ouch.

Quite common at club level in Europe outside the UK actually. Not disrespectful comments just his honest opinion. No point lying about it, they are very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Quite common at club level in Europe outside the UK actually. Not disrespectful comments just his honest opinion. No point lying about it, they are very poor.

I suppose it's obvious but that doesn't mean you have to go and say it.

He could've said.

"A good result but it's only a friendly and the real games are yet to come".

Achieves the same result - downplaying the result, but without acting like a bit of a dick.

• Advertisement

Also I'd imagine the Dutch FA are secretly pretty unhappy with the show put on by the North tonight.

It's one thing getting whipped but they turn up to a friendly in front of a full house with practically a reserve side and then offer absolutely no challenge or ambition. The North were probably worried they'd lose 6-0 if they played an open game. Oh wait, they did anyway. The Dutch must have wondered what they paid for.

Discipline-wise the North manage to pick up two yellows (in a friendly!) which is an achievement in itself and I remember McPake or whatever his name was went in on Robben two footed, bad enough, but in a friendly a week before a major finals?!? No need for it.

You can dig this post up in 10 years time if you like and I'm confident there won't have been another friendly between these two nations in that intervening period. I'm guessing the North made no new friends tonight.

Gbear wrote: »
    I suppose it's obvious but that doesn't mean you have to go and say it.

He could've said.

"A good result but it's only a friendly and the real games are yet to come".

Achieves the same result - downplaying the result, but without acting like a bit of a dick.

But he didn't say anything wrong :confused:. He's Dutch, and like I said in my post, it is normal for a manager from outside the UK/Ireland to tell the truth in interviews. He wasn't acting like a dick. I don't see why he should have to bite his lip because it's not normal around these parts to say what you feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sigh lad i know told me to lump on Dutch -4 @ 5-1 :(

****er is rolling around in money now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I'm still waiting for Our Wee Country to approve my registration. Boy I'd be having a laugh now...
    You'll be waiting a long time. Anyone with a Republic of Ireland IP is blocked/banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

In fairness he was being polite by calling them very poor. They could have lost 10-0 and it would have been a fair scoreline.

I wonder did that result gain any supporters in Norm Iron for SF All Ireland team idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement